Antenna Mast - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Another source for fiberglass telescoping poles:

https://www.mgs4u.com/fiberglass-pus...tm#telescoping

I'm lusting after the MK-4-HD

--
Alan (KE5JL)
I came across that site a few days back, Alan. The do have some nice offerings, that is for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Good question for the Jefa folks would be if this is just repackaged UBiquiti gear or if they add something proprietary to it.
You could use either Ubiquiti's Picostation or the Nano stations. Many of the RV bloggers use and highly recommend the Nano stations. The Pico allows external antenna which allows more choices, but the antenna they come with would probably work fine. Both of these units have very good range. The UBiquiti stations require POE (Power Over Ethernet) which is normally included with them. That piece plugs in inside your trailer and the cat cable comes inside and plugs into the POE adapter. Then another short cat cable goes from the POE adapter to your wifi router.
Inside the trailer, you could use any wifi router you wanted to. No great advantage to using the Airgateway over say a Linksys, Netgear, etc.
You do need to have some familiarity with how to use the Interface on Access points in order to hook it up,each time to the different campground WiFi source but it's not too difficult once you learn the particulars of how the Access Point interface works.
The Airgateway appears to be smaller than most other routers. As long as it works as good, I do like small.

I am sure I will be able to figure out how to connect even if I have to learn.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #42

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Wierd, that looks like stock Ubiquiti Pico AP and Ubiquiti Airgateway AP plus a Cat 6 cable. Wonder whether they are just building them for Jefa with their label or there is something different. I use the Ubiquiti gear all the time for client installations and it will save a good bit of money just to buy the pieces on your own.
It is very good equipment and will work well in this application.

I am taking delivery on a 17B this August and have been in the throws of planning an installation so my wife can communicate intermittently with her clients (she's a therapist). So:
1. Wifi amplifier/antenna with associated router for a trailer network. I've already set up my Ubiquiti devices but haven't given the whole setup the acid test of real-world use (yet!). This guy has a really interesting video about setting up an apparently powerful and relatively cheap wifi system. His instructions are clear and good. Take a look:

http://www.outsideourbubble.com/secu...for-under-100/

2. The wifi mast I'm going to be using is this short Ubiquiti unit that will be installed by Escape above the passenger side rear roof edge above the awning. It folds down for driving, and I can easily remove the wifi amplifier/antenna before heading out. CAT5 cable to wifi antenna will end in P/S overhead cabinet where I'll keep the router.

It's not high enough if we're parked between monsters, but what to do?

3. This antenna will be installed by Escape where the Jack antenna usually goes and antenna wire will end in microwave cabinet where the Wilson cell signal booster, Apple TV, a Mobley cell data modem (special AT&T plan now available for roaming data use with this device) and a DVD player will reside.

Wilson Electronics Trucker Spring-Mount Antenna with 13.5 - Feet Rg58 Cable and Sma Male Connector - Retail Packaging - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1UKRP6..._pb8h3m41inqFs

Here's the cell booster. Get it used at half or less of the new price:

weBoost Drive 4G-M Cell Phone Signal Booster for Car, Truck and RV Use - Enhance Your Signal up to 32x. Can Cover up to 4 Devices. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RHMFPEU..._HYNjXdMc9Xerl

I'll give the forum a heads up of my complete setup if (Bigly Bigly IF 🤞&#129310 it works out ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #43

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
According to the JefaTech site their Linksys router is off the shelf with propietary firmware installed. I would guess the Ubiquiti router is the same.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #44

Trailer: April 2016 Escape 19
Send a message via Skype™ to redtaco99
Antenna Mounts

Hi Guys

I mount antennas to the front and back of the trailer. In the back I use a Camco 51611 Hitch Mount Flagpole Holder. In the front I installed a "Extreme Max 3005.2175 Marine 45" Post Guide On System" . These items were purchased from amazon Canada.

There are several "marine guide ons" on the market but the one I chose is particularly robust and has a 90 degree mounting system. In other words it will be vertical after its mounted and you level the trailer. Since they are meant for boat trailers, they come in pairs. Eventually I will mount the second one but I need to adjust placement of current wiring attached to the drivers side portion of the frame up front.

Two inch PVC conduit that I bought at the local hardware store fits perfectly in either one of these mounts.

For the ham radio stuff I have a 12 meter fiberglass pole to hold up the wire antenna.

I also have a TV antenna and wifi repeater which I am able to install on a piece of 6 foot conduit that I bring with me. I dont watch TV much but was able to watch the Superbowl from my campsite in Quartzsite. When I'm at an RV park and have trouble with the wifi, its usually solved by installing the wifi repeater.

Eventually I should be able to attach a portable solar panel on the front as well...

I have pictures here: https://redtaco99.smugmug.com/Escape...n-the-trailer/
redtaco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #45

The Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M2 (what a name!) that I'll fit on the little mast as needed with Velcro straps, is powered by an AC powered 'injector' which will sit inside the passenger side overhead cabinet by the fridge and power it through its CAT cable.

Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2 - Wireless Access Point - AirMax (LOCOM2US) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXT8FFI..._syIyOBO6oJRIj

The router is very small but seems to be powerful enough to cast a wifi network over the whole trailer and fits together with the injector to make a single relatively small block

Ubiquiti AIRGATEWAY Wireless access point 802.11 b/g/n https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXT84DG..._TwaHh8a96A6Cv

The software for setting up first the antenna/access point and the router is not optimized for the casual user (like me!), but the guy touting this set up gives really good step by step instructions in his video (link I sent earlier). I heard about him from another forum user who is heading out this summer for his first trial run. But it looks like a good setup.

I've considered the mast antenna solution before but, for wifi, it seems that the biggest limiting factors for getting a speedy-enough network in one's rig are 1. How fast is the park's overall connection speed, and 2. How many other park users are competing at the same for bandwidth.

Many just use an antenna/access point attached to the inside of their rig's window, but I went with the little mast on the edge of the roof. Will see!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
I am taking delivery on a 17B this August and have been in the throws of planning an installation so my wife can communicate intermittently with her clients (she's a therapist). So:
1. Wifi amplifier/antenna with associated router for a trailer network. I've already set up my Ubiquiti devices but haven't given the whole setup the acid test of real-world use (yet!). This guy has a really interesting video about setting up an apparently powerful and relatively cheap wifi system. His instructions are clear and good. Take a look:

Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100 - Outside Our Bubble

2. The wifi mast I'm going to be using is this short Ubiquiti unit that will be installed by Escape above the passenger side rear roof edge above the awning. It folds down for driving, and I can easily remove the wifi amplifier/antenna before heading out. CAT5 cable to wifi antenna will end in P/S overhead cabinet where I'll keep the router.

It's not high enough if we're parked between monsters, but what to do?

3. This antenna will be installed by Escape where the Jack antenna usually goes and antenna wire will end in microwave cabinet where the Wilson cell signal booster, Apple TV, a Mobley cell data modem (special AT&T plan now available for roaming data use with this device) and a DVD player will reside.

Wilson Electronics Trucker Spring-Mount Antenna with 13.5 - Feet Rg58 Cable and Sma Male Connector - Retail Packaging - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1UKRP6..._pb8h3m41inqFs

Here's the cell booster. Get it used at half or less of the new price:

weBoost Drive 4G-M Cell Phone Signal Booster for Car, Truck and RV Use - Enhance Your Signal up to 32x. Can Cover up to 4 Devices. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RHMFPEU..._HYNjXdMc9Xerl

I'll give the forum a heads up of my complete setup if (Bigly Bigly IF 🤞&#129310 it works out ok!

Lots of great input here, thanks.

That is a good video, I had seen it before but not watched it all, then lost the link.

With your rooftop mount, you say you will take it down when travelling, and I like that idea, as often when camped I will not need it too. I assume you will need at least a two step stool to do this. What do you plan to do with the cable end after removing the antenna to protect it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
The Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M2 (what a name!) that I'll fit on the little mast as needed with Velcro straps, is powered by an AC powered 'injector' which will sit inside the passenger side overhead cabinet by the fridge and power it through its CAT cable.

Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2 - Wireless Access Point - AirMax (LOCOM2US) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXT8FFI..._syIyOBO6oJRIj

The router is very small but seems to be powerful enough to cast a wifi network over the whole trailer and fits together with the injector to make a single relatively small block

Ubiquiti AIRGATEWAY Wireless access point 802.11 b/g/n https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXT84DG..._TwaHh8a96A6Cv

The software for setting up first the antenna/access point and the router is not optimized for the casual user (like me!), but the guy touting this set up gives really good step by step instructions in his video (link I sent earlier). I heard about him from another forum user who is heading out this summer for his first trial run. But it looks like a good setup.

I've considered the mast antenna solution before but, for wifi, it seems that the biggest limiting factors for getting a speedy-enough network in one's rig are 1. How fast is the park's overall connection speed, and 2. How many other park users are competing at the same for bandwidth.

Many just use an antenna/access point attached to the inside of their rig's window, but I went with the little mast on the edge of the roof. Will see!
With this setup, is there no antenna for transmitting from the Airegateway. I noticed the JEFA Tech package had one.

Another thing I am wondering, is the difference in performance between this directional antenna, and the Pico which appears to be omni-directional. I assume with the directional you have to turn it until the signal is the strongest, correct?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Lots of great input here, thanks.

That is a good video, I had seen it before but not watched it all, then lost the link.

With your rooftop mount, you say you will take it down when travelling, and I like that idea, as often when camped I will not need it too. I assume you will need at least a two step stool to do this. What do you plan to do with the cable end after removing the antenna to protect it?

I have a one foot patch CAT Cable for the Ubiquiti nanostation so I can remove the station easily when heading out (jog memory!!). It will attach to the cable leading inside the trailer with a bilateral female connector

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AZA4WGW..._1493392799877

I plan to put a baggy with a rubber band over the bare end of the cable to protect it.

With this setup, is there no antenna for transmitting from the Airegateway. I noticed the JEFA Tech package had one.

As depicted, the Nanostation has good up and down load throughput and should handle both functions. Limiting factors, anyway, are park internet speed and competing users. But some say that one needn't always curse the Class A RVs; apparently they get stop using much after 8 pm. [emoji6] True?

Another thing I am wondering, is the difference in performance between this directional antenna, and the Pico which appears to be omni-directional. I assume with the directional you have to turn it until the signal is the strongest, correct?

Yep, up on step stool with an iPad, turn it (usually toward the office but they may have some satellite repeaters strewn about the park) until it shows the strongest signal then 'lock' it to that so it won't 'hop.' Have to see how it goes, and I won't be doing this but once or twice a week when we have to visit a giga-park for work.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
One of the reasons I chose Jefatech was that, according to a friend of mine (an EE and principal of a major electronics firm, who's happens to be an antenna guru), Jefatech's technical specialty is antennae and cabling to get the best dB performance. The rest is custom re-programming of the Linksys computer.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:36 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
I plan on using a couple U-bolts to clamp a stainless fishing pole holder to the rear bumper and then using a 3 section fiberglass pole the will slide down into the pole holder. It will get up about 12 feet above the bumper. If I remember right I got the idea from someone else on this forum. The pole will collapse down to less than 5 feet and will fit lengthwise on the shelf of my short bed truck cap. Here's a link to the pole:

https://www.mgs4u.com/Photography-PP-4-3.htm
I looked into this and found a few solutions for a fishing pole holder that would work. There are some one could just tap some threads into the bumper to use.

This one allows height adjustment. It has 1.5" internal dimension.

This one could be mounted on top, or the side of the bumper, and turned horizontal for travel. This one has a 1/93" internal dimension.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I looked into this and found a few solutions for a fishing pole holder that would work. There are some one could just tap some threads into the bumper to use.

This one allows height adjustment. It has 1.5" internal dimension.

This one could be mounted on top, or the side of the bumper, and turned horizontal for travel. This one has a 1/93" internal dimension.

I ended up with something like this:

Boat Fishing 3 Rod Holder Storage Rack Tube Pole Bracket 316 Stainless Steel | eBay

Only need one tube but with three joined by a crossbar it will be easy to u-bolt it to the bumper. I like that first one you showed, Jim, but my antenna pole is 1.5 inches diameter. Might not fit.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Don & Teresa, we will pick up our 19' in October. Where do you mount your antenna and how/where do you route the antenna cable to the router? If a mod is needed, I'd prefer ÉTI does it so my wife won't blame me for any screwup!

Ray

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
Don & Teresa, we will pick up our 19' in October. Where do you mount your antenna and how/where do you route the antenna cable to the router? If a mod is needed, I'd prefer ÉTI does it so my wife won't blame me for any screwup!

Ray
See this thread, post #12 and #13.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...t-10110-2.html

I posted some photos. The only thing I had ETI do was pre-wire 12V DC into the upper cabinets, one 12V drop in each trailer corner. 12V DC is needed to power the Jefatech amp.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
See this thread, post #12 and #13.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...t-10110-2.html

I posted some photos. The only thing I had ETI do was pre-wire 12V DC into the upper cabinets, one 12V drop in each trailer corner. 12V DC is needed to power the Jefatech amp.
Now, that's an old thread.