Ants! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0 "Day Break"
Ants!

Hi everyone from Georgia!

We took of 5.0 out on its third trip this past weekend and we are just loving our little camper. As a newbie to camping, we have discovered a whole new way of vacationing and quiet time in our lives. And, we love the attention our little egg gets when we pull into a park...

This weekend we stayed at Stone Mountain Park just east of Atlanta to enjoy everything there. And we did. But I had some unwelcome visitors and want to get an idea on what you do to deal with ANTS!

They came up my power cord and luckily just crawled around on the outside of the trailer. We never found any on the inside.

So again, how do you deal with the little bugers?

Todd and Kim
"Day Break"
itoddday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The hardwired powercord entrance is the reason some go for the detachable.

Maybe wrap a chunk of fly paper around the cord, or saturate a rag or piece of water pipe insulation with ant spray and put it around the cord near the opening?

I've seen folks come out of monster motorhomes and sprinkle borax around the tires, etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I've heard ants won't cross a chalk line. Go to a toy store and get some driveway/sidewalk chalk and rub it over the black rubber gasket on the doorway and power cord. It might work.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Or, try my mod to the attached power cord. See here
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...mods-2274.html

Tim
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Yeah, if I was starting over I'd go with a detachable power cord. As it is I'm taking Tim's idea and running with it -- doesn't help with the critters, but at least it keeps the cord (and accompanying dirt) contained. The wife is out testing out the fit of the bag she made right now.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Doug, I bought the kit to convert from Tammy. Fairly cheap and easy to do, and we are much happier with the detachable cord. No more tangles.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Doug, I bought the kit to convert from Tammy. Fairly cheap and easy to do, and we are much happier with the detachable cord. No more tangles.
Jim, is the conversion kit the same as the removable power cord listed on the accessories page for the 19'? That's a similar price to one that our local trailer place quoted.

We're going to try the bag as a first solution .. and I admit, I'm amused by the fact that the bag I'm using isn't one I made, but a large lined nylon swag bag that I got at a conference years ago. Nice to have a good use for it!

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House"), 2012 Nissan Frontier
cathyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0 "Day Break"
Thanks Everyone! Outstanding Ideas! I was not aware that I could get a conversion kit. But I would rather not do that. I like the bag idea. I will probably try a combination of the suggestions.

Todd
itoddday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyb View Post
Jim, is the conversion kit the same as the removable power cord listed on the accessories page for the 19'? That's a similar price to one that our local trailer place quoted.

We're going to try the bag as a first solution .. and I admit, I'm amused by the fact that the bag I'm using isn't one I made, but a large lined nylon swag bag that I got at a conference years ago. Nice to have a good use for it!
I do believe it is one and the same, other than Escape just likely buys a power cord instead of converting the existing one like you need to with the kit. It looks and works the same. You do lose about a foot of cable doing the connections, but the only time this was ever a problem, I was short by WAY more than that foot, and just use a 30A extension cord I now carry.

I have missed something. What is this bag solution? It would be extremely difficult to bag the fixed cable on the 19, or is this for when a removable cord is used?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #10

"the bag solution", borrowed from Tim... His pictures are at: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post25914

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I guess I'm fortunate. In the 12 years I've owned my Scamp with the hardwired power cord, it's never tangled nor does it get dirty. I just pull out what I need, it never just lays on the ground (that's what worries me about the plug-in type). If it's damp from condensation, I push it back in while holding a paper towel around it. I do have the extension, but have never needed/used it. Obviously, YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote