Any Damage From Driving on Rough Roads? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2015, 12:17 AM   #101

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, I just run a bungee from existing cabinet handle to another existing cabinet handle.
I did that as well, but it was not enough. Door is secured with duck tape, the bungee and kept empty when traveling from now on. I did not think that I hit much of a bump and thought everything was pretty secure, but I was very wrong. Nothing that could not be fixed though, bent hinge that I was able to straighten, cracked plastic on the bottom of the door that was fixed with epoxy, etc.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:54 AM   #102

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Speaking of securing items, I bought a couple of those spring-loaded rods that are supposed to keep stuff inside a cupboard. I tried them as sold and they failed to keep cans in the cupboard (a shallow cupboard with wheel well behind ). Then I attached small adhesive buttons to the side walls of the cupboard and cut an X in the plastic covers at the ends of the rods so that the buttons made the rods even more secure. That failed too.
I'm thinking I need to do something that can't be removed by compressing a spring, something that requires a screwdriver or a hammer.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #103

Trailer: Escape
I installed a pair of these shower rod holders with 3M tape high in the shower and on both sides of the cabinet under the sink . An extendable and locking shower rod is used in the bath to hang wet items. While traveling the rod is installed in the under sink cabinet to keep items from falling out if the doors open or moving enough to open the doors.
Slide-Co 16815 Closet Pole Sockets, 1-3/8-Inch, Plastic - - Amazon.com
Old 04-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #104

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Speaking of securing items, I bought a couple of those spring-loaded rods that are supposed to keep stuff inside a cupboard. I tried them as sold and they failed to keep cans in the cupboard (a shallow cupboard with wheel well behind ). Then I attached small adhesive buttons to the side walls of the cupboard and cut an X in the plastic covers at the ends of the rods so that the buttons made the rods even more secure. That failed too.
I'm thinking I need to do something that can't be removed by compressing a spring, something that requires a screwdriver or a hammer.
Tried them too, albiet without modification, and the results were the same.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:15 AM   #105

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
For double doors under kitchen or bed during travel, Gear Ties, which are like coat hangars encased in rubber, can be wrapped through the two handles. At sports stores.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #106

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Pix #1: Old way.
Pix #2: New way...
Attached Thumbnails
fridgeProt.jpg   Fstrap2.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #107

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and you have a spare belt just in case for your pants....
Old 04-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #108

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Pix #1: Old way.
Pix #2: New way...
Would a belt like that work with Glenn's vertical bungee idea?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #109

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Our trailer held up well during last week's trip into Utah's west desert, my old "stomping grounds", where we followed the old Pony Express route. We encountered only about 4 vehicles each day in this remote country. It was 250 miles between gas station with 140 miles of gravel road, some of which was quite rough.

In spite of all the vibration, damage was limited to a screw falling out of a drawer slide and flying gravel eroded another layer of foam insulation off the bottom. Our new fridge door strap (post 99) worked well. I also learned to drive more slowly over the roughest parts.

-Dave
Attached Thumbnails
CCC camp Callao Utah.jpg  
Old 07-12-2015, 10:51 PM   #110

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
We were just on the Smithsonian Butte Back Country Byway near Zion. Very rough and steep road. By far the worse I've encountered yet. Our dinette table must have wobbled back and forth so much that it cracked both pedestal bases. Oh well, my first modification will be a hydraulic pedestal!
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:21 AM   #111

Never heard of this happening. We thought those bases were metal. That must have been some road!
Old 07-13-2015, 12:43 AM   #112
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
The bases are cast aluminum.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:48 AM   #113

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Never heard of this happening. We thought those bases were metal. That must have been some road!
Well, there's metal and there's metal. The bases are flimsy and the fit for the post is really sloppy. That increases the ability of the table to flop back and forth and eventually crack the weak bases.

I saw how flimsy they were in their demo unit and asked them not to even bother installing them. I made my own much stronger table base.

Installing a hydraulic pedestal will be a huge improvement.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:00 AM   #114

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't think "flimsy" is appropriate. They are light weight, which is appropriate for the application.
If you are going to travel on a very rough road, you can either remove the post ( or posts ) or make sure that they are secured in the holes to prevent wobble.
I set my front table in place on the post, and then used the back end of my hatchet to drive the post tight ( put a copy of Trailer Life on the table to protect it ).
Traveling with my buddy in his 19 and he took a turn out of the mall at speed ( a passenger's opinion - me ). And when we got to our destination, the sliding table had been dissembled and had been chucked into the corner of the trailer.
The "flimsy" bases were intact.
Taking the table down for travel on rough roads is just another check-list item.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:44 AM   #115

I know Tammy used to tell people to put the table down for travel. We had ours up and not secured for a long time so presumably the table was sliding back and forth. We then started securing it. In three years of always having it up for travel over many thousands of miles, nothing happened to the bases.

We actually have sent up our own table legs and bases because we will likely remove the table and wanted other bases for when the table is not there. That may be all of the time, as we expect to store it under the bed or maybe at home, unless we decide we need it. Our problem with theirs is the shape, not the bases themselves.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #116

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Here's a slightly cheaper solution...
Attached Thumbnails
brace3.jpg  
Old 07-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #117

I'm surprised that is all that broke I'm not sure why we are trying to break things by traveling off road, and I'm not sure any trailer would survive without items becoming broken. Perhaps your tow vehicle is also suffering some damage?
Old 07-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm surprised that is all that broke I'm not sure why we are trying to break things by traveling off road, and I'm not sure any trailer would survive without items becoming broken. Perhaps your tow vehicle is also suffering some damage?

The TV is fine. Had I known the road was that rough, I wouldn't have done it. Had I known to put the table down, I would have done it. I try to prepare and do my research, but some things just get overlooked or I have to learn by doing. Unfortunately, this was one of those moments.

On the plus side we had a beautiful, free camping spot with a view of the entrance to Zion! Well, I guess I did pay for it in some way. [emoji57]

Old 07-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #119

Nice shot, let us know the damage...
Old 07-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Nice shot, let us know the damage...

The only damage was done to the pedestal bases. We have been careful about securing everything else but, until now, neglecting the table.
You can see that the inside of both bases cracked and completely separated around the rim.