Any Damage From Driving on Rough Roads? - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #121

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
The only damage was done to the pedestal bases. We have been careful about securing everything else but, until now, neglecting the table.
You can see that the inside of both bases cracked and completely separated around the rim.

They might have been stressed before . I don't think you alone did that . They are pretty inexpensive to replace . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #122

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
I'd still go with the pneumatic pedestal, easy to lower, no legs to store, more foot room, rotates 360 degrees for easy access. Of course I've gotta say that since I have one and luv it.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #123

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
OK, flimsy might not be as accurate as poor fitting allowing excessive side-to-side movement of the post. The table post with the weight of the table above moving side-to-side acted like a battering ram. I believe the material would be die cast zamak, commonly called pot metal. But the culprit is the sloopy fit.

When we first got ours I modified the table lock to keep the table from sliding side-to-side. Shortly after it fell out and never got replaced. We've done thousands of miles, some on horrible roads, and I'm not sure that the table actually moves much. Certainly with a stronger base it's not an issue.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #124

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
I'd still go with the pneumatic pedestal, easy to lower, no legs to store, more foot room, rotates 360 degrees for easy access. Of course I've gotta say that since I have one and luv it.
I would have to agree about the pedestal . We have one now too . However they are not cheap . If strapped for cash for now could just replace . Also recommend the bunk latch installed for travel many of us have installed . Keeps table from moving back and forth going down the road . Still use even though replaced pedestal . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #125

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Did some rocking rocking there huh? Good lesson, don't follow Daubsy.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #126

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I'll admit I am somewhat of a clutterbug, and it never dawned on me that there could be a problem. Further, until this last trip, I had my small dinette as a bed. However, I have items (barbeque in a box;plastic crates etc.) stored for traveling on the floor on either side and front that wedges the post. I also have a broom that rests on the benches going from the wardrobe to the bath, and I bungee the crates, so they don't move. (The broom stays put because of the crates and stuff on the benches wedge it in place.) So far, so good. I am in the process of downsizing, so I imagine the floor items could be bungeed from the front and the cord wrapped around the post.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #127

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, those table legs do sometimes come in handy.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #128

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
We got the hardware (and also the straps and buckles) from:
Metal Footman Loops
We liked that we could choose a coordinating color for the hardware. If we were to do it again we would make one change: get a buckle arrangement that has the buckle on just one end and plain strap on the other. With our buckles, there is a buckle piece on each end and we have to unthread the strap from one buckle end in order to completely remove the strap from the cleats and put it away when we are camped. Minor inconvenience.
You can also make this setup by getting parts from local hardware, hobby and/or camping shop (belts/buckles). The 'footman loops' would be the hardest part to find.
See this one if color doesn't matter (and if a 48" strap is long enough - you have to go twice the fridge width- or length- plus some)):
http://www.amazon.com/Boat-Marine-He...down+strap+kit
And someone else on the forum had another strap kit from Amazon but I couldn't find it.
We ordered these Footman loops from the link that Fran provided and proactively secure our fridge and freezer doors on our Escape 21. Thanks Fran, they look fine and when we travel we thread boat gas tank straps through them to keep the doors shut tight. I have no worries about the fridge at least.

However, based on how our table slides back and forth even on fairly good gravel roads (causing damage to the under side of the table) I have ordered a brass bunk latch as described in another thread. The knob they install for securing the table releases during travels, even when I screwed it into rubber. I can understand taking down the table for travel on really rough roads, but the roads we traveled were at worst a bit rough. I think ETI should consider at least carrying some of these parts for customers who want to travel on gravel (yes I am a poet) and maybe even have an option to install some of them. I will bring it up when I talk to them about minor issues with our trailer. (We are still big fans of the Escape.)

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #129

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Sounds like we might want to take along some bungee cords when we go pick up the trailer. Then we can look things over and see what will be needed. I don't really care to find things on the floor that shouldn't be there. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:17 AM   #130

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I travel rough gravel roads all the time, and only one time I remember we had the door latch on the fridge fail. We never had an issue with the table either, and it has no latch at all. I wonder what has changed?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:40 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I travel rough gravel roads all the time, and only one time I remember we had the door latch on the fridge fail. We never had an issue with the table either, and it has no latch at all. I wonder what has changed?
I'm not sure much has changed. We've sure done our share of rough roads without incident. Stopped locking the table shortly after getting the trailer, can't see that it causes any problems.

Compared to our Scamp the Escape rides smooth as silk. The Scamp had a habit of tossing anything not secured out on the floor.

Only thing that we watch out for when packing items is chafe. Things do rub against each other and can get marked up.

Ron
Old 07-30-2015, 12:43 AM   #132

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Ron and Jim, do your table sslide from side to side. Our does and there is a knob you tighten to prevent it sliding during travel. (We absolutely love the sliding table) After our first fishing trip, with relatively good gravel roads, the metal screw had already started gouging the underside of the table and it only got worse on the two following trips. I put a piece of rubber from and inner tube between the screw end and the table, but it kept loosening from the vibrations while traveling. Again, the roads weren't really rough, and certainly not washboard.

I don't know if the footman loops and straps were necessary for the fridge, but considering that some people damaged their hinges I wanted to ensure I wasn't next. I intend to travel some much rougher roads in the future.

I ordered the brass bunk bed latch today from a local RV parts store. It should prevent the damage to our table during travel.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:51 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Ron and Jim, do your table sslide from side to side.
Bob K
Don't know, it's sort of like the tree falling in the forest when no one's around. Does it still make a noise? Never having ridden in the trailer while in motion I don't know the answer. All I can say is I can't see any harm done but not locking it.

I didn't like the crude bolt gouging the wood routine either and made a metal cap to prevent that but it still vibrated loose so I just said to heck with it.

Ron
Old 07-30-2015, 06:25 AM   #134

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Don't know, it's sort of like if a man speaks in the forest an no woman hears him. Is he still wrong? I have no idea if it moves while driving either, there is no evidence of harm being done. Lots of jiggling in the trailer no doubt, but very little sideways forces with most travel, I don't tend to take corners at high speeds.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 AM   #135

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had my table come off the pedestals in my 19 while towing. Although secure with a lock to prevent sliding, then entire table was on the floor after one of my trips, here on the east coast our rough roads are called "turnpikes" and have some of the worse conditions, I think it happened between Massachusetts and New Jersey. Did some minor damage, I now bungee the table down in BlackJack.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #136

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
However, based on how our table slides back and forth even on fairly good gravel roads (causing damage to the under side of the table) I have ordered a brass bunk latch as described in another thread. The knob they install for securing the table releases during travels, even when I screwed it into rubber. I can understand taking down the table for travel on really rough roads, but the roads we traveled were at worst a bit rough.
Bob K
We never had the screw on our table - perhaps the previous owners removed it.
We hook one end of a bungee on the back end of the piece of plywood that holds the slider, run it around the front and over the top and hook it on the back of the tabletop. It significantly decreases the ability of the top to slide...certainly enough so that it won't do any damage. The bungees should be snug but not super tight. I imagine you could do the same thing with the side to side table.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #137

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
To prevent that screw from unscrewing itself completely out, screw an acorn nut to it. Might also glue a strip of rubber (or the like) along its path to act as an un-slippery contact for the tightened screw.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:23 PM   #138

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Our 17B's table flew off sideways onto a dinette cushion on I-40 between Needles & Kingman; evidently no stop had been installed. Tammy was gracious and sent us new plastic guides that had been stripped.

Thanks again to Keager at '14 Rally for showing us you can live w/o table!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:17 AM   #139
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
All this talk about the table coming off the pedestals gives me one more reason to be happy I installed a pneumatic pedestal. No stowing or strapping down of the table required.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #140

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
We made the mistake of coming in to New Hampshire from the East on SR 119 this trip. The stretch between Richmond and Fitzwilliam beat the heck out of our new TA. Even though I drove slower than the 45 limit, the bathroom door came open and bent the hinges enough so it would not latch. The table pedestal shook hard enough to pull the screws partially out of the floor. I have driven on washboard roads that were not as bad. GPS sent us that way because we camped north of I 84 this trip and I went along with it because SR 2 is so bad and I thought 119 might be better. NOT.

There is apparently no good road into this area of New Hampshire

Dick