Anyone else get a surprise Escape package? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Anyone else get a surprise Escape package?

I received a tube of Proflex today, it seems that the refrigerator compartment was not sealed properly along the vent side. Although it is designed to allow water to enter and drain, there is an area around the bottom where some yellow foam is visible . Escape feels that the foam should be cut back along this joint and sealed with Proflex to prevent water from leaking into the trailer thru the foam.
It is a little awkward to use the large tube in this small space and I'm wondering why the foam is not adequate for a sealant? Anyone else received their gift package yet?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1037.jpg   IMG_1038.jpg  
Old 03-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Yeah, I got it yesterday, but it wasn't a surprise as they sent out an email about it a short while ago. We haven't applied it - yet.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Yeah, I got it yesterday, but it wasn't a surprise as they sent out an email about it a short while ago. We haven't applied it - yet.
I Never received an email....?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
...and I'm wondering why the foam is not adequate for a sealant?
The foam isn't a substitute for a waterproof sealant. It's a bit porous.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yeah, hardly a surprise. First an email saying they identified an issue with water penetration, then another email saying the the kit and instructions shipped along with a tracking number. One day later it arrived. All new customers affected will get the same.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #6

Well, like I said, this is the first I have heard of this, since you and some others seemed to have received advance notice as well as the kit, why was it not mentioned here on the forum? I mean is it just the new style refer? Similar to the frame recall or the solar panel retro kit, others may not have received their kit.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #7

Why the heck would I mention it? This is something for Escape to deal with. Not really a big deal unless you prefer to make it one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

This is why I posted it, for others to see, as well as for myself. I'm wondering how did you seal the crack with such a large tube in such a small space?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
This is the email I got on the 28th, the same day my kitty Lucy died in bed with me. So, I wasn't exactly doing much other than crying and mourning her. The forum was the last thing on my mind for the next week or so.

There was an image of how to tape up the area, but it didn't come across in the cut and paste I did below:

Escape Trailer Industries is always working to improve their trailer. With the new design and components, unforeseen issues can arise once a trailer is in use that cannot be predicted.

It has come to our attention that the new lower fridge vent is potentially allowing water to enter the trailer.

The lower fridge vent has three ‘vent’ tracks in the bottom portion of the frame. These tracks are to allow propane to escape the fridge compartment in the event of a leak. Without these tracks the propane would have to build up high enough to escape through the lower exhaust vent hole which can dangerous.

Under the proper conditions rain water may run around the vent and enter the back of the fridge cavity through the vent tracks. Once the water enters this cavity, there is a drain installed to accommodate this seepage. However, with this new vent, our installation method did not allow this potential seepage to reach the drain. With the water unable to reach the drain, it can find its way under the fridge cavity allowing the water to enter the trailer body.

At this time we have already rectified this potential water leak issue. However, until we are able to provide everyone with instructions and the necessary sealant required to properly seal the vent area, we are asking you to temporarily apply tape over the vent seam as shown in the photo below to prevent potential water damage.
Please apply the tape as follows:

1) Across the bottom
2) Both Side Pieces
3) Top Piece

***PLEASE ENSURE YOU DO NOT TAPE OVER THE LARGE EXHAUST HOLES. JUST THE SEAM.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We will be contacting you within the next couple of days providing detailed instructions on how to properly rectify this issue. We will work with you to resolve this potential issue.

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Tammy Harmatuik, Business Manager
Old 03-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #10

Trailer: pondering.....
the good news is ETI caught the issue and have a fix....one of the reasons this camper decided not to move ahead in production schedule with Gen 2, despite the critics when sharing that decision... prefer to give ETI time to resolve any issues that might pop up in Gen 2 production materials and techniques..
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #11

So sorry for your loss....
So your directions are for tape? That would seem easier to work with. I found this https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-R...GSEDXRSM6&th=1
Attached Thumbnails
517bDhi3W4L.jpg  
Old 03-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
The tip of the caulk tube can be extended using a short section of flexible plastic tubing. Just cut the tip of the caulk tube, push the tubing onto the tip, and use a cable tie to keep the tubing from slipping off.

The plastic tubing makes it easy to direct the caulking. I use clear tubing so I can tell when the caulk is about to come out.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
So your directions are for tape? That would seem easier to work with. I found this https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-R...GSEDXRSM6&th=1
The tape for was a temporary fix until the permanent fix could be sent out by Escape.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #14

Quote:
See, you are already causing confusion with this. The masking tape was for a temporary fix only.... Sheesh, talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

This really is not a big deal. Why try to put fear into the heads of others.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The tape for was a temporary fix until the permanent fix could be sent out by Escape.
Yep, sorry I didn't mention that in my previous post. I didn't bother putting the tape on as it was dumping rain and I figured it wouldn't stick anyway. It'd been dumping rain for a long time so I figured if any water was gonna get inside that area, it was already there.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
the good news is ETI caught the issue and have a fix....one of the reasons this camper decided not to move ahead in production schedule with Gen 2, despite the critics when sharing that decision... prefer to give ETI time to resolve any issues that might pop up in Gen 2 production materials and techniques..
I hear ya on waiting. That thought did cross my mind when we were able to either stay with the previous version or change to the new version. Obviously we went with the new version (see my info on the left of this post and that's why it's obvious ). But we really liked the new windows, doors, awning - so went with the new version.

I figured there would be a few "glitches/hiccups" or whatever you wanna call 'em with the new version. I also figured that since we're only 3 hours away, I could haul the trailer back up there for any necessary work, if need be. Now, if I lived as far away as you do ... who knows.

But, I think you can place your trailer order now and by the time they get to yours, they should have any kinks worked out as the previously finished trailers will have been out and about and getting used and ETI will have been notified of any problems.

So, if that's your excuse for waiting, you're gonna have to come up with another one, okay? Okay!

(And if you have ordered, you need to change your info on the left!)
Old 03-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
This thread reads like the famous Abbott and Costello skit !
"Whose on first ? "
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
We got an email as well. I am glad ETI is being proactive about addressing the issue.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
See, you are already causing confusion with this. The masking tape was for a temporary fix only.... Sheesh, talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

This really is not a big deal. Why try to put fear into the heads of others.
Lemme tell you about my week: water intrusion into an apartment unit we own in "The Peoples Republic of Santa Monica" with tenant with six month old baby who works for an attorney. Ok, mold inspection which showed the air fine but found some mold inside a wall cavity from the rain event whereby a gutter downspout broke free and allowed water to flow onto the window and a vent in a wall of the building. Insurance agent tells me no mold coverage; tenant is demanding copy of the report. Finally call my attorney who says don't give it to her and file claim with insurance company because of sudden nature of incident. She was 100% correct and our insurance agent wrong! When I get the attorney bill am going to send it to the insurance agent. Meantime my trip got delayed as I thought we were dealing with a Pandora's box without insurance.

ETI ought to wake up and deal with things more appropriately. To think new owners should have to take a tube of caulk and fix something due to their improper installation is absurd.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Things must be really bad in the People's Republic if six month old babies are working for attorneys!