Anyone used the SIMPLE wooden LUROY slats from Ikea? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2020, 05:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Anyone used the SIMPLE wooden LUROY slats from Ikea?

I am thinking of doing the popular IKEA bed slats install under the mattress on my E19. The several threads on this topic all appear to use the IKEA Lonset slats (these are the more expensive ones that have rubber bumpers that the slats fit into). My question is: has anyone done this mod using the simpler curved wooden LUROY slates from IKEA? Like the ones in this link: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/luroey-...base-00160215/

If so, please let me know how it worked out! These slates are cheaper, lighter, and look like they will be easier to cut down to size. Thanks, Jordan
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I am thinking of doing the popular IKEA bed slats install under the mattress on my E19. The several threads on this topic all appear to use the IKEA Lonset slats (these are the more expensive ones that have rubber bumpers that the slats fit into). My question is: has anyone done this mod using the simpler curved wooden LUROY slates from IKEA? Like the ones in this link: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/luroey-...base-00160215/

If so, please let me know how it worked out! These slates are cheaper, lighter, and look like they will be easier to cut down to size. Thanks, Jordan
We use these on our 5TA. Comfortable and allows air to circulate under mattress.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
We use these on our 5TA. Comfortable and allows air to circulate under mattress.
Thanks Chris. Did you need to provide any braces on the ends of each slat for them to push off? I note the more expensive LONSET slats have their own rubber stoppers that prevent the slat from flattening. Or is it as simple as chucking them down on the plywood, trimming the corners as required to fit, and calling it a day?
Old 01-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks Chris. Did you need to provide any braces on the ends of each slat for them to push off? I note the more expensive LONSET slats have their own rubber stoppers that prevent the slat from flattening. Or is it as simple as chucking them down on the plywood, trimming the corners as required to fit, and calling it a day?
No trimming required for the 5TA. The mattress on the 5TA sits on carpet in the loft, we also use a layer of hypervent. The slats don't move around.
It should work on the plywood. The trick is the slats are connected with a strap, so once you have the slats laid out, they can move about until the mattress in on top.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:37 PM   #5

Thanks Chris. Anyone else use this style, particularly in a 19?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:

Hi Jordan,
Just keep wandering through their AS-IS section we got ours dirt cheap.
-David
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
Hi Jordan,
Just keep wandering through their AS-IS section we got ours dirt cheap.
-David
The as-is section my favorite stop at IKEA ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:57 AM   #8

Trailer: 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
No trimming required for the 5TA. The mattress on the 5TA sits on carpet in the loft, we also use a layer of hypervent. The slats don't move around.
It should work on the plywood. The trick is the slats are connected with a strap, so once you have the slats laid out, they can move about until the mattress in on top.
Chris,
Did you install the hypervent on or under the mattress slats ?
billserna67@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #9

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
My wife and I have tried several combinations of memory foam and mattress toppers to improve sleep comfort. A plain mattress laid on plywood is just too "hard" of a feel for us. We purchased and installed the Froli system over Christmas to try and recreate the box spring / mattress arrangement we have at home. Here is link.

https://nickleatlantic.com/collections/star

This system has been discussed before on the forum. You can get a 15% off promo code plus see a video review here:

Our initial impressions are positive and the system was easy to install. We are taking our first extended trip of the year in late February so will see how it feels after 2-3 weeks in the camper.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billserna67@gmail.com View Post
Chris,
Did you install the hypervent on or under the mattress slats ?
At first the slats were on to of the hypervent, easier to install, but not comfortable. The slats dug into the hypervent. Then placed the slats under the hypervent, seems to work better.