AT&T mobile value plans - internet access - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
AT&T mobile value plans - internet access

After many hours of searching the forum (search engine rejects ATT as too short a word) I figured I'd just ask the forum.

I'm configuring a new 21 with a Wilson RV/Trucker antenna and probably a Wilson Sleek at the head end for use with an iPhone and a laptop by using the iPhone as a hotspot.

ATT considers a laptop another device on the account, but WILL allow monthly service for $20 by adding the laptop as a new line without a contract. I am fortunate enough to have the activation fee waived each time I add the laptop for a travel period.

Since I really don't trust the salespeople to be accurate, I'm curious if anyone else is running with this arrangement.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't get it. What difference does it make to them if you are using your iPhone or using your iPhone as a hot spot?
I tether my MacBook Air to my iPhone with a cable, or by bluetooth or by Wifi. It's the phone that is using the data and the Mac is just a keyboard and viewing device.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't get it. What difference does it make to them if you are using your iPhone or using your iPhone as a hot spot?
I tether my MacBook Air to my iPhone with a cable, or by bluetooth or by Wifi. It's the phone that is using the data and the Mac is just a keyboard and viewing device.
I agree, that was my plan (Wifi laptop over to iPhone) so I didn't get it either! Lotsa confusing stuff when all ATT really wants to get you to do is buy a MiFi device....

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #4

Used to have a cell phone and a Mac laptop when I worked as news photog. We had to send pix back to the paper, which is a heavy data use. The company bought some sort of data key that plugged into the Mac and was a separate account.
Sounds like that's what ATT is trying to get you to do. Perhaps they haven't yet paid for old technology. As long as you have data on your iPhone, I don't see why you need another account.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I would contact a different ATT office and see if you get the same information. I believe with ATT you need to have a 20 GB data plan and then pay an extra fee for making a hot spot. Maybe it is you pay the extra fee and then get an extra 20 GB of data with the deal. I do know you have to have ATT make a change to your account for it to work. You can then turn on the hot spot yourself, the feature shows up on your phone once they have activated it.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm with ATT, they have a senior plan for $55/month. When I got my iPad, they added an extra line for another $10/month, combined total is 1 Gig and unlimited texts. The iPad or iPhone can be turned into a hot spot or I use the iPad as my computer now, so no hot spot is needed. I was able to use a weather APP on the iPad while traveling that shows current radar and NOAA for each state. The issue is coverage, some areas there is no signal, particularly out west. As long as you are near the interstates you will have a signal.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm with ATT, they have a senior plan for $55/month. When I got my iPad, they added an extra line for another $10/month, combined total is 1 Gig and unlimited texts. The iPad or iPhone can be turned into a hot spot or I use the iPad as my computer now, so no hot spot is needed. I was able to use a weather APP on the iPad while traveling that shows current radar and NOAA for each state. The issue is coverage, some areas there is no signal, particularly out west. As long as you are near the interstates you will have a signal.
I'll check that out - hoping the Wilson antenna with the Sleek front end will help with the range.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #8

Quote:
I was able to use a weather APP on the iPad while traveling that shows current radar and NOAA for each state.
What did you do about the weather, once you had the information?8)
Old 06-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I have Verizon and there is no extra charge for using my iPhone as a hotspot for my Mac. The usage is debited from my plan allowance.
I was thinking of getting an iPad with ATT, to use in areas without Verizon, but paying only the monthly usage fee, if and only if I cannot reach the Verizon network.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:40 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
I'm going to change it, is that not what you do??
Old 06-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
All AT&T Mobile Share plans give you unlimited calling, texting (domestic) and let you tether a smart phone to another device. This is called the hotspot feature. Most newer (last 2 years) smartphones can do this. You pick the amount of data you want. Their best deal is a price match to T-Mobile: if you are out of contract you get the above with 10GB with two smartphones sharing that for $130/mo. Each add'l phone is $15. 10 max allowed.

We were paying the same I think for 4GB before they brought this plan out earlier this year. I could have my tablet activated as it is cellular ready however I don't need to with the Hotspot feature of my phone.

It really pays to call every three months or so no matter who your carrier is to be sure they don't have a better deal. Very competitive industry and plans change.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #12

Trailer: Working on my build list
New rules on cell phone boosters just went into effect. A lot of old boosters had to be discontinued and a lot of new ones will be coming out in the next few months. If you can wait a while you will have a better selection and probably better prices.

The good news is the Wilson Sleek has been about the only 4G booster and several more have been announced recently so you will have a better chance of getting one that meets your needs.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
I'm going to change it, is that not what you do??
Quote:

let the record show that cpacharley2008's attempt at changing the weather last winter was a miserable failure
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote