Atwood 7912-II furnace will not light - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
AML

Trailer: Utopia
Atwood 7912-II furnace will not light

I cannot get my Atwood 7912-II furnace to light. I have cleaned it and replaced the sail switch and the limit switch. I am using the manual's instructions for lighting, which are a bit confusing. The instructions reference both a valve power switch and a circuit breaker switch. I can see the circuit breaker switch (confirmed by the schematic), but I cannot find a valve power switch on my unit. Perhaps they are one and the same? Can anyone help me out?
AML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have a guess: it has something to do with the pressure of the propane feeding the furnace. So you might want to swap out the propane regulator with a better one. Search for recent threads discussing this.

Rationale for my guess: if I have one propane tank turned on, my furnace sometimes (but not always) doesn't want to fire. If I have the valves of both tanks open, the furnace acts normally. That makes me suspect that my propane regulator is the problem.

When I get home I intend to replace the propane regulator and hope that my remaining problems with the furnace and fridge magically go away. But right now I'm hunkered down in Asheville, NC, waiting for this latest hurricane to pass. After all, it has my name on it.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AML View Post
The instructions reference both a valve power switch and a circuit breaker switch. I can see the circuit breaker switch (confirmed by the schematic), but I cannot find a valve power switch on my unit. Perhaps they are one and the same? Can anyone help me out?
The schematic I found for the 7900 series has a note that says gas valve switch not used when you have a combination circuit breaker and on/off switch. Note: I removed an older version of the schematic and uploaded a new one. Note still applies.

Also check the LED on the circuit board. Based on the status/flashes it may tell you something. See diagnostic chart attached.
Attached Thumbnails
F42C580B-9814-444C-ADB4-AA5DA92CB10D.jpg   60A624DE-650C-474D-9D38-83F62A9098E6.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
AML

Trailer: Utopia
Thanks for the suggestion--my cooktop, water heater, and fridge all work so I am guessing my propane regulator is OK. Good luck with yours.
AML is offline   Reply With Quote