awning stake out - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Old 03-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #11
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Nothing quite as invigorating as taking down the awning in pouring rain and raging wind, wearing only your undies.
That's a haunting image.

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
Trailer: 17ft B Escape "lark"
Yes and while I was out there I would also be one of the ones that forgets how to get the awning up/down every time. In the dark in utter confusion bad language a flowing my dogs hiding under the bed or one would most likely get loose in the utter confusion and be running around the camp ground me wet trying to catch him in the dark. Yes I see it - most likely will be conservative and bring down the awning if any hint of bad weather

Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #13
Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
I hope my husband, Ike, reads this thread! We have been in the running- around-like-mad scenario before, what a stressful situation. I'd worry about the awning when the wind ripples it and he had great regard for its' structural integrity, when ratcheted down to the max. That was on the Casita and the source of quite a bit of discussion. We'll have to practice with the Escape and hopefully develop good "awning habits". Better safe than sorry~
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #14
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I usually take my awning down whenever I leave the site for any significant time and often at night if I think the wind will come up. It takes about one or two minutes by myself to do so, and gives me peace of mind. I have seen other campers with their awnings bent and twisted out of shape and have no wish to have that happen to my own.
Dave W - 2013 Escape 19' and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #15
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We were warned when we bought our stick built about the danger of flying awning supports and so when we left our trailer for the day on lakes where the wind was likely to blow up, we ALWAYS took it in for peace of mind.

I recall one night where I left it too late and fought a fierce battle with the wind and sleet to bring it in. At one point the icy water drained down my coat sleeve to leave a lasting impression and reminder - when the weather is threatening, bring in the awning before turning in .

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #16
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
I take the conservative approach, also. I roll it up any time I'm going to be away from the trailer for significant time. I also roll it up at night for several reasons; wind damage, flapping noise, and to keep it the dew off so it isn't all wet in the morning (especially prior to a moving day).

pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote