awning stake out - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2015, 08:33 AM   #1
RWS

Trailer: 2014 escape 21
awning stake out

Good morning folks: I was wondering if anybody used rope and tensioners to stake out the awning in windy weather? When I get my new 21 out I'm going to try it. Out here in the west the wind in the afternoon kicks up. If it gets to bad I'll close it up but for a few gusts I think it will help.
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #2

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
awning stake out

If I think the wind will pick up I tie both ends of the awning down with the 20 foot ratcheting tie downs. I also use the deflappers from camping world or Amazon and I make sure the rods to the trailer body are adjusted tight. Very seldom do I bring the awning in unless it's time to leave.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do you tie it down with the legs attached to trailer or the legs anchored to ground. I always thought it was preferred to tie down with the legs anchored in the ground as the stress is pulling down versus away from the trailer if the legs were still attached?
Old 03-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Maybe I'm a bit too conservative, but if the wind is coming up, or I'm leaving the site, I roll the awning back up. I've seen too many torn ones from unexpected wind. I have even gotten into the habit of rolling it in most nights before going to bed.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Maybe I'm a bit too conservative, but if the wind is coming up, or I'm leaving the site, I roll the awning back up. I've seen too many torn ones from unexpected wind. I have even gotten into the habit of rolling it in most nights before going to bed.
Same here Jon, but maybe we do not have to?
Old 03-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'll roll mine in if leaving the site and there is threat of wind. For overnight, if there is a threat of wind and rain, I will roll it in part way ( see pic ) so that I can place chairs and such under cover, next to the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning half open.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I tend to be conservative and roll back up if leaving the site or going to bed. Two advantages: 1. No worry about torn and broken awning. 2. Eliminates the potential of "forgetting" how to set up and take down. I've read of many people who need the instructions out whenever they use the awning!
Old 03-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #8

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
awnng

years ago before I would tie it down, I had an awning go over the top of a motorhome due to an afternoon thunder shower in the mountains. I can't usually stake supports to the ground so I leave them secured to the trailer and pull everything tight with the ratcheting tie downs. We have been in some strong winds and so far it has worked. The R-pod had a odd screened room without an awning and I did take that down at least once in the middle of the night due to wind.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Nothing quite as invigorating as taking down the awning in pouring rain and raging wind, wearing only your undies.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
That mental picture didn't blind me, but I'm pretty sure I'll need glasses now
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Nothing quite as invigorating as taking down the awning in pouring rain and raging wind, wearing only your undies.
That's a haunting image.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Yes and while I was out there I would also be one of the ones that forgets how to get the awning up/down every time. In the dark in utter confusion bad language a flowing my dogs hiding under the bed or one would most likely get loose in the utter confusion and be running around the camp ground me wet trying to catch him in the dark. Yes I see it - most likely will be conservative and bring down the awning if any hint of bad weather
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
I hope my husband, Ike, reads this thread! We have been in the running- around-like-mad scenario before, what a stressful situation. I'd worry about the awning when the wind ripples it and he had great regard for its' structural integrity, when ratcheted down to the max. That was on the Casita and the source of quite a bit of discussion. We'll have to practice with the Escape and hopefully develop good "awning habits". Better safe than sorry~
Gae
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I usually take my awning down whenever I leave the site for any significant time and often at night if I think the wind will come up. It takes about one or two minutes by myself to do so, and gives me peace of mind. I have seen other campers with their awnings bent and twisted out of shape and have no wish to have that happen to my own.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We were warned when we bought our stick built about the danger of flying awning supports and so when we left our trailer for the day on lakes where the wind was likely to blow up, we ALWAYS took it in for peace of mind.

I recall one night where I left it too late and fought a fierce battle with the wind and sleet to bring it in. At one point the icy water drained down my coat sleeve to leave a lasting impression and reminder - when the weather is threatening, bring in the awning before turning in .

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
I take the conservative approach, also. I roll it up any time I'm going to be away from the trailer for significant time. I also roll it up at night for several reasons; wind damage, flapping noise, and to keep it the dew off so it isn't all wet in the morning (especially prior to a moving day).
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote