Back Up camera - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Back Up camera

We've had our new 19 for a little over a month now and getting everything set up. We've been unsuccessful syncing the Escape installed back up camera to the the monitor. Screen prompts on the monitor seem very simple but no luck. Tried multiple times with camper pigtail connected and unconnected with the tow vehicle running and tried the troubling shooting tips in the manual. Any ideas?
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
We've had our new 19 for a little over a month now and getting everything set up. We've been unsuccessful syncing the Escape installed back up camera to the the monitor. Screen prompts on the monitor seem very simple but no luck. Tried multiple times with camper pigtail connected and unconnected with the tow vehicle running and tried the troubling shooting tips in the manual. Any ideas?
Got one on our 21. We have to turn our head lights on for it to sync up. its just the way it is on ours. Head lights off, blank screen. Head lights on, back camera on. Try it and let me know if it works for you. Maybe I got one of a kind.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Got one on our 21. We have to turn our head lights on for it to sync up. its just the way it is.
Usually Escape ties the power input to the trailer marker lights, not the headlights.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Usually Escape ties the power input to the trailer marker lights, not the headlights.
That explains it! the marker lights are only on, when the headlights are on. Duh! Thanks for the explanation. I can't believe I didn't think of that.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I had them use the middle conductor of the 7-pin connector to power my camera. They ran a wire and a ground to the middle of the cabinet over the dinette. The middle pin is typically used for back up lights, and Escapes do not have backup lights so that conductor is typically not used. I ran a wire through the cab of the TV and put a toggle switch on it so I could turn the camera and monitor on and off at will. I then cut and capped the feed wire to the TV's 7-pin socket, and connected my wire to the other side. Works great. I can turn it on in heavy traffic or when backing into a camp site.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
That explains it! the marker lights are only on, when the headlights are on. Duh! Thanks for the explanation. I can't believe I didn't think of that.
Dennis told us to use parking lights to get camera to work when he installed ours on orientation day. The camera is wired into the marker lights up top/rear. We frequently lose our connection pulling a 21 with a Chevy Silverado with fiberglass camper shell. Seems the faster we go the more it disconnects. Works great at CGs as a backup with microphone.
I can hear my wife telling me now, "No, your other left".
Old 05-27-2017, 12:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
We frequently lose our connection pulling a 21 with a Chevy Silverado with fiberglass camper shell. Seems the faster we go the more it disconnects..
Sounds like you're outrunning your signal; it's shifting into the infrared. I'm impressed.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Sounds like you're outrunning your signal; it's shifting into the infrared. I'm impressed.
My solution was to buy a new truck.

Is there a way to pair the RVS camera installed by ETI on our 21 to a new Chevy truck's monitor so I don't have to have 2 monitors in the cab? I have asked for help at RVS but they do not understand my question and are trying to sell me the 2nd camera. I do not need the second camera.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
My solution was to buy a new truck.

Is there a way to pair the RVS camera installed by ETI on our 21 to a new Chevy truck's monitor so I don't have to have 2 monitors in the cab? I have asked for help at RVS but they do not understand my question and are trying to sell me the 2nd camera. I do not need the second camera.
Rob, I don't think so, unless you wanted to experiment with wiring your own harness.

What you're referring to is a "plug and play" RV backup camera. You unplug your tow vehicle's existing camera from the display, and plug this one in. The one from Escape is designed for a separate monitor, not your built in monitor.

Of course, even with one designed to use your existing plug on the vehicle display, if you wanted to place the camera on the back of the trailer, you'd need to rig some sort of wiring disconnect from the tow to the trailer, so you can detach when you're not towing. Or perhaps there are wireless options which are also plug-and-play.

Here's a site with some interesting info on "plug and play" backup cameras.

https://camera-source.com/blog/aweso...-backup-camera

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I can't help with a Chevy, this is a system I'm seriously considering for my Tacoma. Unfortunately, they don't list any vehicles other than Toyotas, but maybe there is someone out there that does. While it is basically plug & play, getting to the connectors behind the entertainment center is not a trivial matter!

They have a 4 channel switcher that would let you go between a front camera, the built in rear view camera and a trailer camera. The front hood of the Tacoma is high enough that seeing what is over the crest of a hill on a trail can be difficult. A grill mounted front camera would be helpful.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If I were going to go through the trouble of accessing the behind the dash wiring Jon, I would certainly want the ability to use a switcher. Neat setup.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Rob, I don't think so, unless you wanted to experiment with wiring your own harness.

What you're referring to is a "plug and play" RV backup camera. You unplug your tow vehicle's existing camera from the display, and plug this one in. The one from Escape is designed for a separate monitor, not your built in monitor.

Of course, even with one designed to use your existing plug on the vehicle display, if you wanted to place the camera on the back of the trailer, you'd need to rig some sort of wiring disconnect from the tow to the trailer, so you can detach when you're not towing. Or perhaps there are wireless options which are also plug-and-play.

Here's a site with some interesting info on "plug and play" backup cameras.

https://camera-source.com/blog/aweso...-backup-camera

Robert, thank you for the link and advice. I clarified my question and RVS customer service (which btw is good) confirmed their camera(s) must be used with their monitors.
I will just carry their monitor along in the cab when towing "Wishbone". The RVS camera is "quite a useful engine" when used as a backup aid with camera and microphone. It is less useful on the road as it cuts in and out and introduces static on AM stations. Yes, I still listen to AM at times. I only turn it on when I think I have a tailgater. Then I can slow down increasing my distance so we both can stop and possibly encourage the tailgater to pass. I learned years ago riding dirt bikes you can go as fast as you can stop.

GM sells a 3 camera set thru EchoMaster for a grand, one for each side mirror and one for top rear of trailer. I will stick with the RVS system ETI uses.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Very interesting conversation.

My 21' will be ready in September and I'm having ETI install the rear camera option. I had assumed (you know what that means ) that it would be a standard automotive camera that connects to my audio/visual system via an RCA plug. My Pioneer a/v is equipped with 2 camera inputs and I had the 2nd RCA jack run to the rear of the TV.

Guess I need to give ETI a call to verify what wiring/connector configuration they install.

Comments?

CVZ
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanzan View Post
Very interesting conversation.

My 21' will be ready in September and I'm having ETI install the rear camera option. I had assumed (you know what that means ) that it would be a standard automotive camera that connects to my audio/visual system via an RCA plug. My Pioneer a/v is equipped with 2 camera inputs and I had the 2nd RCA jack run to the rear of the TV.

Guess I need to give ETI a call to verify what wiring/connector configuration they install.

Comments?

CVZ
CVZ it is a wireless camera with a dedicated receiver

it is a RVS-2CAM

they used to use other types before. they use the RVS-2CAM now and Escape is the happiest with how this one performs.

It works well.

John.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
CVZ it is a wireless camera with a dedicated receiver

it is a RVS-2CAM

they used to use other types before. they use the RVS-2CAM now and Escape is the happiest with how this one performs.

It works well.

John.
Thanks John. I'll give ETI a call tomorrow.. I really do not want to have 2 monitors....

Cheers,
Charlie VZ
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote