Back Up Camera for Trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #1

Trailer: none
Back Up Camera for Trailer

I'm thinking of adding a back up camera to my trailer. Has anyone installed the Boyo (or similar) license plate camera? Pros? Cons? Other suggestions?
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I played with a wireless back up camera & had problems with signal strength & interference. When I bought my trailer I sent Reace a back up camera system from Rear View Safety. The camera is mounted above the rear window & has been useful as a rear view mirror. I have not found it as useful for pulling into a campground space - the view is too wide for accurate backing. It is great if you have to back up at a gas station, etc since you can check what is behind you. Also good for seeing the idiots that tailgate inside the view of your rear view mirrors & for pulling in when passing.

I purchased a 2 camera system (although mine came with a 5" monitor and doesn't seem to still be available) & mounted the other on the back of the RAV4. Great for hitching. The kit included a plug/cable system to go between the trailer & tow vehicle. Overall, I/m very happy with the system.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape
Magellan offers a backup camera with automobile GPS.
Magellan Wireless Back-up Camera
I installed this Rostra backup camera on our Tundra tow vehicle. They offer multiple models for different applications.
Jubal
Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Back up Camera modification

I just finished adding my rear view camera from our previous trailer today. This is a bullet camera I purchased from 4UCam. I have a license plate camera on the TV. The camera on the TV works on the backup lights, the camera on the Escape runs when the running lights are on. During the build I had Escape pull a running light wire and a ground out the front. This is my power connect and I use the extended antenna wire from 4UCam. It works great (after I found that I needed to turn the TV Bluetooth off.) I can turn this on by plugging in the power source. I can use it in city traffic and to monitor what is going on behind me as well as use it for backup. The monitor from 4UCam handles 4 separate cameras. I found that the spare tire support was perfect for mounting the camera. Used the camera for 3 years on the previous trailer. Pleased with my simple and removable bracket system on the tire mount. See picture below.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1672.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote