Back up camera on trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
SKM

Back up camera on trailer

Hi all: My wife and I are new to trailering. We just ordered an Escape 17B and this is our first entry into into the Escape forum We would like to know if any of you have installed a good back up camera for the trailer. Actually we would like more of a rear view camera for the back of the trailer that would be on all the time when we are driving to see the traffic behind us. Have any of you found a good system at a reasonable price? I've seen some advertised at Costco and Amazon, but am not sure if they are any good. We are working with Tammy on this and she thought some of you might have a good solution.
- Steve and Kathleen.
SKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Re: Back up camera on trailer

If you go back to the main page of the forum and type backup camera in the search box, you'll find several
posts regarding them. I think the general consensus is a camera for backing up is one thing but while you're driving may be too distracting, almost like checking your iPhone. That's also the reason why vehicle DVD players are supposed to be restricted to passenger viewing. I believe the range with mobile backup cameras is quite limited so you'd need one that would work the distance from your tow vehicle to the rear of the trailer.
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Firstly, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your order of an Escape trailer. This is an exciting process.

Other than searching, I can't help you with a camera, as I have no experience with them. Being old school, I really don't think I would trust one but would rather just use my eyesight through mirrors while driving. If you use a good trailering mirror attached to your regular mirrors you get a fairly good view of the road behind you. No harm in having one though. I have one built into my Pilot, but I rarely use it, and much prefer to use my mirrors. Old habits die hard.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I had Reace install on from Rear View Safety on my 17B. I have a 5" monitor which sits on the left dash in line with the RAV4's outside mirror. I don't find it distracting and use it while driving. In fact, I find it less useful for what I bought it for - I travel single, and planed to use it to back into sites. While it helps, you still need to get out & look.

I also added a camera to the back of the RAV4 & it is great for hitching.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

This is my first post to the Forum: We are in the process of changing from Casita to Escape 19" for the extra room and will pick our tailer up in Chilliwack late May. I was also interested in a rear view camera and after looking at the posts on this subject and consulting with "Vermilye" I have purchased a system from Rearviewsafety.com also. Escape Trsailers will install the camera portion for me up to the hitch and I will do the rest.( not easy it looks like but doable) Rearview safety offers a monitor that attaches to your rear view mirror, although I did not get this one due to daylight visibility concerns. I got the 7" monitor and will mount it above my GPS screen. I dont see how haveing a rear view while towing a trailer can be distracting if it is in the same approximate location as rear view mirror, and I really like the idea of seeing what is behind me, while driving and backing the trailer.
jvanbavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B

Unfortunately, at accident scenes, it's a common enough statement ..."looking at my cell phone had nothing to do with hitting that pedestrian that suddenly JUMPED out in front of me!" While I can see the benefit of having a backup camera when backing up a trailer I personally don't feel the need for a rear view camera while driving. What happens at night when all those headlights behind you are pointing at your camera? I know with my backup camera on my car, the lens has to adjust for lights hitting it so there's a bit of a lag. I know many people with backup camera's that find them useless in heavy rains or cold temperatures as the image blurs. Then again, I imagine if you spent the money on a quality product, there would be fixes for many of these issues. Of course it would give you a better look at the face of the guy who's tailgating you if you're the retaliatory type but in the same vein, you might be tempted to spend a little too much time looking closely at the young blonde driving behind you!

I can see one benefit because once someone gets really close to the rear of the trailer, you'd lose sight of them if you're only using mirrors. Proper use of mirrors allows you to safely see approaching vehicles at a glance and by occasionally glancing to the left and the right, you should have a pretty good idea of where everything is. Did you know that many consumer groups are trying to mandate backup camera's as required safety equipment on all new vehicles. This would be a good thing as long as people remember they still have to check their mirrors before proceeding.

Personally, I don't see the need to see where I've been ... I want to see where I'm going but that's me. We are new to trailering so certainly don't have the road experience that many on this forum can offer. I think we can agree that
no-one knows your needs better than you so if you think you need it, I think you'll be happy with it. If you have a navigator with you, all the better because they CAN watch it without distraction. After all, I remember many friends who thought having GPS ability in a vehicle was a ridiculous expense (MEN) - now they couldn't live without it. (And their wives are happy because otherwise their husband's would drive around in circles before asking for directions!)

Hopefully after you've had the use of it for some travels, you'll be able to give the forum a review on it. Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the Escape family.

LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #7

One of the main safety groups has asked Congress to require cameras on all cars from 2013, I believe. THE reason for that is that many young children have been killed from what is called "Bye, bye" syndrome or similar. A small child comes out to wave good-bye and is hit. Cameras would prevent almost all of those cases.

I have had people tailgate our tow vehicle and completely disappear behind me. If I had not seen them come up or seen them back off a tiny bit at some point, I would not know they are there. That is without a trailer.

I am very interested in having a camera. I have sonar which works great on the TV for backing up. That and a camera would cover almost everything back there. Sonar would be nice on a trailer and I believe it is available so that is also a possibility for backing up, not for driving.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #8

We have b-up camera on our RV.. we like it and you can easily flip it to view while driving, not just in reverse.. It's not a distraction as my co-pilot is checking it out..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #9

Just out of curiosity, why do you care if someone is tailgating you and is unseen in your blind spot? There's really nothing you can do about it if you have to make an emergency stop.

I fully understand the advantages of a camera when bacing up, but mirrors take care of all my traffic-awareness concerns.

Dave
Old 03-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #10

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Interesting pros and cons. Especially considering when semi trucks only use mirrors and maybe have the warning on the trailer, "if you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you" and it seems every other class A motorhome has a camera on the rear.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Dave, I can only guess it is partially a comfort thing, and maybe something to keep the techno-geek in some of us happy. It most definitely is not `needed`, and hopefully is not something people rely on, but use more for reference.

Though I don`t have a camera on my trailer, I am equally as guilty buying some other non-required techno-gadgets. We all are. How many smart phones, laptops, tablets, iEverthings, GSP`s, stereo gear, vehicle upgrades, fishing gear, beer (those last two were for baglo), etc, do most of us have a few of, things that we would and could survive well without?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

As I get older I become even more reluctant to read yet another instruction manual.
I'll have another beer.

baglo
Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #13

Yes, you can do something about tailgaters. I slow down on them. Tailgating is dangerous to us, the other car's occupants and anyone else around. They usually pass me because I slow down enough that they do not want to be behind me. Slowing down also makes it easier for them to pass rather than to stay behind. I do not tolerate tailgaters. Tailgating is illegal many places for good reason.

Any time someone is tailgating you, it means that anyone else who wants to pass is forced to pass two cars at once, or two cars and a trailer at once if you are towing. Tailgaters are an absolute nuisance and a very dangerous one. A camera would be worth it just to know that they are there so I can get rid of them.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Cathy...The best way I deal with someone riding my rear, is to apply the four way flashers. This indicates to them that something is wrong with your situation. They usually backoff fast and then pass at the first opportunity.
The backup camera could help you, in my absents, to get "Floating Cloud" put away safely too. Alf
escape artist N.S. of lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #15

Alf, great idea to use the flashers. I will remember that. Yep, I can see how that would work really well.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #16

I agree with you about tailgaters. I view it as a form of bullying and typically react negatively; slowing down enough for them to realize I don't like their actions. I like the idea of the emergency flashes...I'll give that a try next time.

Dave