back up cameras - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
back up cameras

Hello All.. Wondering if anyone can help me choose a backup camera for my 19? I am crappy at backing up. And my wife just won't listen.
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Re: back up cameras

This company gets good reviews -- http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products.html -- and they have a quick-disconnect you can get, as well.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I bought a Swift Hitch. Cool! I like the fact it's completely wireless and I can move the camera to either help with hitching... or backing by placing on the trailer bumper.
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Elec...ift_Hitch.aspx

Check out the video: http://www.etrailer.com/Electronics/...tch/04928.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter
Hello All.. Wondering if anyone can help me choose a backup camera for my 19? I am crappy at backing up. And my wife just won't listen.
LOL.... Sorry to say Peter, but a backup camera will neither make you back up any better, nor get your wife to listen.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Hi, Peter! You couldn't be as crappy at backing a trailer as we were in April of this year with our first. And May and June and July.

Your wife won't listen? Why should she (you mean if she is backing up?) if you are crappy at it?? One tip I read was that the only direction someone should be giving is just that: the direction. In other words, point to the left from behind the trailer if the rear of the trailer needs to go left. That's it. Do not say which way to turn the wheel or any other such advice. Each person needs to basically know how to back the trailer already in order to take direction. (If you tell the driver which way to turn the wheels, he or she won't be any better next time because the instructor, in effect, backed it for the driver. In addition, people who are new at it cannot give direction as they will tell the other one the wrong way to turn the wheels much of the time.)

I wanted a camera at first but we do not have one. I backed the trailer into our storage space today (which is much more difficult than any campground site) with no problem other than being a little slow.

I will suppose that you have done a good deal of backing a trailer already. For any newbies, if you want the back end of the trailer to go to the left, you turn the TV wheels to the right. That takes practice as it is easier to get mixed up than one would think.

For your interest or anyone's who is new at this, here is my best advice on backing:
Get out and look at the situation several times while backing to see where the trailer wheels are going and where you want them to go. When backing the trailer to the left, look in the left tow mirror. If the trailer is going too sharply to the left, pull the trailer forward just a few feet such as six feet or so to straighten it some (if necessary, depending on how far you have to go back.) Then adjust the vehicle's wheels so that you will not turn as sharply. Usually, you barely need to turn the wheel to get where you are going. People often turn it way too much.
Back it again a few feet, looking in the left tow mirror again. Get out and assess again where the trailer wheels are going and where you want them to go and adjust the TV wheels again accordingly. You have to look at those TV wheels closely to adjust them. Just keep doing that and you will be exactly where you want. Or close enough.

As for the camera, it could certainly save you the time of getting out a few times but you have to get the wheel adjustments straight to take advantage of a camera. That means that the only real function for the camera is to tell you which way the back end of the trailer needs to go. One person can do that for the other one. When it comes down to it, the camera is only of use if you travel alone, unless a companion cannot give direction or is otherwise occupied.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

The best advice I ever received on backing is to grasp the steering wheel at the bottom with your palm facing up.
When your assistant points to the left, you move your hand to the left. Assistant points right, you move your hand to the right.
It eliminates all the confusion.

Now, if I can just convince the Old Bag that she's not helping when she stands directly behind the trailer, where I can't see her, or when she's watching the eagles circling overhead.

baglo
Old 10-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

I grew up on a farm so back trailers and wagons up was a part of every day life and it is kind of like riding a bicylce that once you get it, its all good. the thing that most people who are not comfortable doing it forget is practice makes perfect. take a afternoon and some where thats not busy and just keep playing untill you get it. Every trailer is a bit different to back up but the princepals are all the same. Something most don't get is that the longer the trailer typicaly the easier it is to reverse in that there is more reaction time. So fresh trailer owners with short trailers need lots of practice and to be hoenst I really don't see a camera set up being what makes someone who isn't good at it compentent.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I have a 2 camera system from Rear View Safety & find the one on the RAV4 is great for hooking up. While I ordered the one for the trailer to help backing up (I travel solo) I found it had limited use for that. It does help to insure you are not going to back into a tree, etc, but the wide angle makes the image difficult to use when backing. I find extension mirrors far more useful as well as "Get out & Look".

On the other hand, the trailer camera is very useful when driving. My 5" monitor is on the dash in the left hand corner of the windshield - since it is in line with the outside mirrors it is easy to see at a glance. Great for seeing those drivers that ride inside your mirrors, and for knowing when you have passed someone.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

Sorry, I guess I may have not got to the point I intended on my previous post. Back up cameras are a good thing and have their advantages. The point I was trying to make was they are not going to make some one not comfortable in backing up a trailer instantly good at it. If you are compentent and comfortable with it then the cameras can be a asset.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b

Short, quarter turns on the steering wheel. Grab the steering wheel at the bottom, bring your hand to the right if you want the rear bumper to go right and left if you want the rear end to head left. Once you have it aimed to where you want it pull foreward a foot or two straighten the wheels and follow your trailer in.
if you have kids with trucks and trailers check out how works on the kids' toys.
It's the same.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"

Thanks to all for the backup suggestions. Armed with all that info my backing can now go from "crappy" to "happy"!!!! Peter
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B!
I too will be traveling solo and, though I intend on lots of practice when I pick up My Escape 15 in May, I still think I will want/need a back up camera system.

I was wondering if you would share the specific model #s and approx. price of the units you use. Did Reace install them? How are the cameras mounted on the rear of the car and the trailer? Do they have some type of cover to protect them from rain?

2002 Toyota Highlander
2013 Escape 17B!
Carol R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B!
Have you used the Swift Hitch for quite a while? Are you still satisfied with its performance?
I will be traveling solo and am researching which back up system might be best for me.

2002 Toyota Highlander
2013 Escape 17B!
Carol R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol R View Post
I too will be traveling solo and, though I intend on lots of practice when I pick up My Escape 15 in May, I still think I will want/need a back up camera system.

I was wondering if you would share the specific model #s and approx. price of the units you use. Did Reace install them? How are the cameras mounted on the rear of the car and the trailer? Do they have some type of cover to protect them from rain?
The specific model I have is no longer offered by Rear View Safety. Mine came with a 5" monitor, not any of their current models. I was told that you can order still order the 5" monitor, but is is more expensive than the current 7" versions.

The closest to what I have is This with the Trailer Quick Disconnect option.

I found the 7" monitors too large for my RAV4 dash, and the mirror mount too small for showing any detail. The staff at Rear View Safety was very helpful - you might give them a call to see what they can offer that isn't on the webpage.

I purchased the camera system & mailed it to Reace - he installed it. Has worked great over the past two years, although the Quick Disconnect is overkill and a bit difficult to plug & unplug. That said, I wouldn't want to use the normal RCA connectors to plug & unplug the trailer.