Bad converter? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Daubsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Posts: 241
Bad converter?

I spent the afternoon getting the trailer ready for our weekend trip and discovered that the 12 volt system isn't working from battery power. I can't figure out what the problem is, but my observations lead me to believe that it may be a bad converter solenoid.

I have the Power Parallax Supply 7345 Converter / Charger in my 2009 19' Escape. Last time I used it what was a month ago when I took it to the beach, where everything worked fine. Here are my observations:

1. System does not work on battery power, but everything works when plugged into 120V.
2. Battery terminals read a healthy 12.6.
3. All fuses and breakers tested and working.
4. Ground lines and connections inspected and appear OK.
5. Terminals from charger to battery read 13.8 when plugged into 120V.

Any ideas, suggestions?
__________________

Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 1,434
Check the battery cutoff switch if you have one. If so, you may have accidentally turned it off.

Also, please clarify what you mean by charger. Battery is typically charged by converter (or solar if you have it). Are you using a separate battery charger?
__________________

__________________
Carl
2015 F150 2.7 EcoBoost (Big Spot)
2015 5.0TA (Little Elsie)
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,823
Did you check for 12v in the converter? on the WFCO you can see the + and - 12volt runs or the cables coming in from the battery. If it's not there when disconnected from 120v check the thermal breaker.


Not that I've seen one actually go bad before.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Daubsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Posts: 241
The cutoff switch has been checked, as well as the inline 30A breaker. Both are fine. At the 12V fuse box, there are + and - leads that connect to the battery and a positive terminal for the converter. These both read 13.8 when plugged into 120V, nothing on battery power.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
The cutoff switch has been checked, as well as the inline 30A breaker. Both are fine. At the 12V fuse box, there are + and - leads that connect to the battery and a positive terminal for the converter. These both read 13.8 when plugged into 120V, nothing on battery power.
You have power on both terminals of the inline breaker, correct? Because if the positive lead from the converter that connects to the battery reads 13.8V when plugged in to 120V, then the issue has to be between that point and the battery itself.

What is this converter solenoid you refer too. Aren't the cables from the battery directly connected to the DC power distribution.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,823
Then I'd agree converter is bad, you have 13.8 volts from the battery at the converter but nothing out to the 12 volt circuits unless running on AC. Don't see manuals or prints on line so no help there. I'd try calling Parallax in the am and see if they have a tech support.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 1,434
If the battery is reading 13.8 when plugged into 120vac, that is the normal charging voltage. That would imply to me that the converter is working properly. If the battery terminals read 12.6, that is close to normal resting voltage (12.7/12.8) for a fully charged battery. It would seem therefore that voltage coming out of the battery is not making it to distribution for the trailer, and per your description, somewhere between the battery terminals and the 12v fuse box, where you say you are getting 0 volts when not plugged into 120vac Did you visually inspect fuses, or test for continuity with a meter?
__________________
Carl
2015 F150 2.7 EcoBoost (Big Spot)
2015 5.0TA (Little Elsie)
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Daubsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You have power on both terminals of the inline breaker, correct? Because if the positive lead from the converter that connects to the battery reads 13.8V when plugged in to 120V, then the issue has to be between that point and the battery itself.



What is this converter solenoid you refer too. Aren't the cables from the battery directly connected to the DC power distribution.

That's kinda what I thought, and why I'm so confused. It seems to providing a charge when plugged into 120.

I'm not entirely sure what a solenoid is myself, but read somewhere that it's what tells the converter to switch between 120 and 12v. So my guess is that it's just not switching to 12v. But I don't have a thorough understanding of how this power supply works...
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Daubsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If the battery is reading 13.8 when plugged into 120vac, that is the normal charging voltage. That would imply to me that the converter is working properly. If the battery terminals read 12.6, that is close to normal resting voltage (12.7/12.8) for a fully charged battery. It would seem therefore that voltage coming out of the battery is not making it to distribution for the trailer, and per your description, somewhere between the battery terminals and the 12v fuse box, where you say you are getting 0 volts when not plugged into 120vac Did you visually inspect fuses, or test for continuity with a meter?

That's what I had initially assumed, but there is not anything in between the 12v fuse box and the batteries except for the inline breaker. I checked for continuity and even bypassed, still nothing. Perhaps I need to get behind the power center to see if a rat chewed my wires or something?
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 1,434
Or you could try a direct jump from the battery terminals to the leads where you are getting 13.8v when plugged in. That would indicate if one or both wires are at fault before you have to relocate a lot of stuff to get to the wires if they are "buried."
__________________

__________________
Carl
2015 F150 2.7 EcoBoost (Big Spot)
2015 5.0TA (Little Elsie)
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.