Bathroom fan not working - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Brings up yet another tool we can all carry with us.
Attached Thumbnails
light.jpg  
Old 09-04-2018, 08:10 AM   #22

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
Well, I did put the meter on the terminals at the fan motor itself. Had no power indicated, then punched the switch and got a reading of 13.96 V. So I think the switch is OK. But, you're right, good idea to check.

Thanks
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #23

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
Installed! Working!

Just a follow-up on the above. Ordered the Ventline replacement fan motor from etrailer. A relatively brief phone conversation with one of the technicians there convinced me it was the right part for my fan. This one:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...VD0218-00.html

There seems to only be a single replacement motor for 2 or 3 previous fan models; some require re-drilling the mounting plate to fit the screw hole spacing of the current motor. No drilling required on mine.

Went in easily. Everything back to normal. Wife happy. Time to go camping.

Thanks for the suggestions that helped me diagnose and repair this.

Paul
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:29 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I left the bathroom fan vent up and while traveling down the road the gasket came loose, my bad. next time I turned it on, the gasket wrapped around the fan, and it quickly stopped working. I think maybe the fuse is blown, so want to disassemble to trouble shoot.

so far, looks like I will have to remove it from the roof, unless there is a trick. if I could remove the fan blade, might be able to access it enough to replace the fuse? any suggestions on how to remove the fan blade? looks like it's just pressed onto the motor shaft? OK to just pry it off with gentle pressure? I don't want to break it. any comments welcomed. thanks
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I left the bathroom fan vent up and while traveling down the road the gasket came loose, my bad. next time I turned it on, the gasket wrapped around the fan, and it quickly stopped working. I think maybe the fuse is blown, so want to disassemble to trouble shoot.

so far, looks like I will have to remove it from the roof, unless there is a trick. if I could remove the fan blade, might be able to access it enough to replace the fuse? any suggestions on how to remove the fan blade? looks like it's just pressed onto the motor shaft? OK to just pry it off with gentle pressure? I don't want to break it. any comments welcomed. thanks
It sounds like it is probably the thermal cut out fuse mentioned earlier in the thread. Ours blew when the fan enclosure was closed before turning off the fan. It is all accessible from inside. You do not need to remove the fan from the roof. It has been a while since I worked on it but I believe the fan blade can just be pulled off the shaft.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #26

rubicon327 thanks for reply. I have like new 2018 Escape 21, and I hate the idea of messing up the OEM installation. maybe I'll have to just get over it.

only way to access from inside is to remove the ceiling garnish, right? I've been looking for the proper sealant to use and identified "Geocel Corporation GC28127 Pro Flex Rv Flexible Bright Wht". actually, I've just as well remove the fan assembly from the top of trailer, and not have to redo sealant on the bathroom ceiling. my messy sealant job on the top of the trailer will be out of sight/ out of mind lols.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #27

Quote:
rubicon327 thanks for reply. I have like new 2018 Escape 21, and I hate the idea of messing up the OEM installation. maybe I'll have to just get over it.

only way to access from inside is to remove the ceiling garnish, right? I've been looking for the proper sealant to use and identified "Geocel Corporation GC28127 Pro Flex Rv Flexible Bright Wht". actually, I've just as well remove the fan assembly from the top of trailer, and not have to redo sealant on the bathroom ceiling. my messy sealant job on the top of the trailer will be out of sight/ out of mind lols.
Charles: You shouldn't need to remove the garnish on the interior or break the seal on the exterior. For the inside work pull the handle down and remove the small screws on each side. Then remove the nut on the on/off switch and pull the screen down after removing two small screws. You are now looking right at the motor and should able to see the wiring that has the small thermal fuse. The fan blade is above so it is not in the way for the inside work. For the outside work the smoke lid should come off with a couple of screws. You will then be looking down on the fan blades and should be able to simply remove the gasket material binding it up. They sell the lid separate or the cheap gasketing could be replaced with something higher quality. Take a look at the links below and the pictures as it may help you realize how all this comes apart easily without touching the areas where the assembly is sealed.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...VA0502-03.html
https://ventline.com/i/u/6148923/f/R...Vent_11-11.pdf
Old 06-15-2020, 11:29 AM   #28

thanks for reply. I think mine may be different from yours. the screws that hold the handle are not accessible on both sides, only one side. on my Casita, the bathroom fan handle pulled down evenly on both sides. I notice right away, on my 2018 Escape 21, the bathroom handle was asymmetrical, and didn't pull down as far on one side. at 1st I thought something was wrong, but figured out that's the way it's made now. anyway, best I can tell, it's not possible to take the handle off on mine without removing the entire assembly.

same goes for the screen, I can take to screws out, but can't get the screen out because the handle is in the way. or, maybe I'm doing something wrong? thanks
Old 06-15-2020, 02:33 PM   #29

Quote:
thanks for reply. I think mine may be different from yours. the screws that hold the handle are not accessible on both sides, only one side. on my Casita, the bathroom fan handle pulled down evenly on both sides. I notice right away, on my 2018 Escape 21, the bathroom handle was asymmetrical, and didn't pull down as far on one side. at 1st I thought something was wrong, but figured out that's the way it's made now. anyway, best I can tell, it's not possible to take the handle off on mine without removing the entire assembly.

same goes for the screen, I can take to screws out, but can't get the screen out because the handle is in the way. or, maybe I'm doing something wrong? thanks
This sounds strange that your handle doesn't come down evenly. The Ventline Vanair fan has been made the same way for many years. Maybe a picture would help.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #30

thanks for reply, no pic of my specific trailer, it's in storage 100 miles away. but you can search and see many pics on web that clearly show the current model comes this way. as I said, when I 1st got the trailer almost 2 years ago, I immediately noticed the fan handle was asymmetrical, I research it on the web and found it is what it is. cheers
Old 06-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #31

had a brain storm last night. maybe if I remove the dome on outside, the handle will come down enough to unscrew? will be a week or so before I can try, but will report back later. thanks
Old 06-30-2020, 11:39 PM   #32

worked on it some again, was able to get handle off, and access the wiring, so a lot of progress for me. I think now the fan assembly was installed not so well in my trailer, reason why one side of the handle doesn't come down all the way. to fix that, appears I need to pull the whole assembly out from the roof, and reinstall. plan to work on some more tomorrow. I saw a good vid, a guy replacing the same fan on an old Airstream. he did it from the roof. didn't have to remove the inside garnish.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #33

got it fixed, yeah! I had to take off top cover to push leg over to get it down enough so I could reinstall handle screw. had to do that work around because best I can tell the roof on my trailer is a little too thick by approx 1/4 to 3/8 inch on the back side of the vent cutout, if any of that makes sense.

not sure I needed to, but actually used a multi-meter to verify the inline fuse was blown. was cool, 1st time I've ever been able to use a multi-meter to verify anything, not like I haven't tried a few times in the past, finally success.

question: I cut out the fuse and just spliced the wires together. do I really need a fuse for this super small electric motor? if it has a problem, it will just burn up, like I've read about many times. plus, I can't imagine many diy types bothering to install another fuse. I watched several installation vids, read several installation instructions, and never saw anything about be sure to get the fuse installed.

I've included some pics, enjoy. cheers
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg  
Old 07-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #34

Quote:
question: I cut out the fuse and just spliced the wires together. do I really need a fuse for this super small electric motor? if it has a problem, it will just burn up, like I've read about many times. plus, I can't imagine many diy types bothering to install another fuse. I watched several installation vids, read several installation instructions, and never saw anything about be sure to get the fuse installed
Nice work. I did the same as you and did not replace the thermal fuse. I have not had a problem. The Ventline replacement motor is readily available and it does not look like the wires that come in the kit have the fuse. So that makes me wonder. If the circuit wiring to the fan is of adequate size and you are fused in the power center how is this fan any different than say the range hood?
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...AaAlgNEALw_wcB
Old 07-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #35

rubicon, thanks for reply. cheers
Old 07-02-2020, 08:00 AM   #36

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
I see a root of the problem!
You had green pliers and a red screwdriver, clearly a mismatch, and that can be nearly fatal.
Color matching tools are necessary, not just a fashion suggestion.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:09 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
I see a root of the problem!
You had green pliers and a red screwdriver, clearly a mismatch, and that can be nearly fatal.
Color matching tools are necessary, not just a fashion suggestion.
good morning laugh...........
Old 07-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #38

yes, funny, thanks for humor, I need it. cheers
Old 09-26-2020, 02:54 PM   #39

Trailer: 2016
Send a message via MSN to Flying Scot Send a message via Yahoo to Flying Scot
Thanks for the pictures, Charles. Gave me the courage (!) to yank the fan off so that I can replace the motor, which has blown one too many fuses.
Cheers
-Ken
Flying Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:37 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Work is a four letter word.

Hi: All... I don't work either... and my biggest fan quit too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote