Battery equalization - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
As Paul mentions above, it takes a long time to completely charge the batteries with a single 12v panel, by the time the controller gets to the equalize stage the sun to done for the day. After a good deal of experimenting the only way I can get my Bogart controller to do an equalize is to start a good sunny day at 98% full. 98% being Bogart's cutoff to start a 4 stage charge. Even then I can't get the full 4 hours at 15.6v. As far as I can tell, you need a 2nd panel to get the full potential out of these controllers. So no matter what the manual says, take it with a grain of salt. Takes a long time to stuff the last few amps in a battery, equalizing (auto), won't start till that's done. You need to be able to get to that point early in the day to give equalization time to do it's thing.

I've not played with manual equalization as the early Bogart's didn't have it.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
There is some contention on the need for equalization. You see recommendations here and there for how often and even more contentious, at what voltage. One time I read that if you never let your battery get below 50% charge there is not a need for equalization. Apparently the build up on the lead that equalization removes only occurs when the battery is at a low charge.

I read this on the internet so it must be true. Take it for what value it has.

None of the WFCO replacements come with the ability to perform an equalization. Other than a solar charger (a limited few) the only method I have seen of equalization is the portable unit that runs off 110. Eric has purchased the Battery Minder that is described above. Check out some of the links he provides in his post.

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape
Boondocker Main Board Assembly for WFCO 8955
Easy install 5 wires less than an hours time.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #14

The Boondocker looks like a great replacement for a failing WFCO and it appears they offer "Built-in desulfation cycle" but they do not offer any voltages for doing that. Their specification sheet cannot be found so I am not sure they have a true 4 stage converter/charger. It appears "That "equalization" feature is just a shot of boost voltage every so often to prevent stratification. It is not equalization as usually defined at all."

From what I have read it appears that the Boondocker is a modified version of the Power Max. A modification done by someone called Randy and operating separately from Power Max.

Still the same charge voltages as WFCO and this is not a charger that does equalization.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #15

"That "equalization" feature is just a shot of boost voltage every so often to prevent stratification. It is not equalization as usually defined at all."
Who are you quoting ??
Old 10-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
The Boondocker looks like a great replacement for a failing WFCO and it appears they offer "Built-in desulfation cycle" but they do not offer any voltages for doing that. Their specification sheet cannot be found so I am not sure they have a true 4 stage converter/charger. It appears "That "equalization" feature is just a shot of boost voltage every so often to prevent stratification. It is not equalization as usually defined at all."

From what I have read it appears that the Boondocker is a modified version of the Power Max. A modification done by someone called Randy and operating separately from Power Max.

Still the same charge voltages as WFCO and this is not a charger that does equalization.
From "Randy" who is not only helpful but is "knowledgeable".
Hi,
It is not modified by us. The Boondocker does not equalize but rather has a desulfatation cycle once a day at 14.6 volts. Folks have mistakenly used equalization interchangeably for years. Equalization is a deliberate over charge greater than 15.5 volts for several hours. None of these converters do that nor do you want that in an automatic converter/charger. Its also a constant current charger that is capable of delivering its max rated output even in the normal mode. It has similar voltages as the WFCO except it will boost much easier. 14.6 (actually a little higher), 13.6 and 13.2 float. It IS a true 4 stage converter/charger. Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #17

In the original post the question was asking about equalization, not about desulfination. It appears that Randy agrees that the Boondocker does not do equalization but a desulfination cycle, for that reason he can call it a four stage charger, My opinion, and I think what is generally accepted, is that 4 stages mean: trickle/float/storage, bulk, absorption and equalization, he has a different definition.

The point in my above two posts is reinforced by Randy. No converter will do equalization.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #18

Trailer: ?
See previous posts in this forum about replacing the WFCO converter section with a Xantrex TrueCharge2 40-amp unit, which will equalize and charge at higher voltages.

Xantrex Charger Installation and Wiring Upgrades

Truecharge Battery Charger | Truecharge2 20A, 40A, 60A | Xantrex

jamman is offline   Reply With Quote