BBQ Hook-up? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Question BBQ Hook-up?

(I am new at this; hopefully I am doing it correctly! )

I have a dedicated (regulated) propane line coming to my door that ETI installed. I recently bought a small stainless steel propane grill (Cuisinart CGG-606) to hook up to that set-up. ETI supplied a hose with connectors on it to do that.

My problem is on the BBQ end: Cuinsinart wants me to use either 1 or 20# cylinders only with their supplied regulator. I would like to use my Escape's system. Unfortunately, the male brass fitting coming out of the grill's manifold is weird. I believe that it is 12mm (metric). I tried a 1/2" brass fitting which threaded okay but was very sloppy. I then trying a 12mm nut on it which size-wise fit well but only went on a few threads. So, that led me to believe that it is 12mm with somewhat standard pipe thread.

I have exhausted most avenues of help -- propane parts stores in Portland, OR, on-line companies, and even ETI (which said that this is a common problem). If it is a common problem, I thought that hopefully some of you Escapers know a fix to transition from that wierd male fitting to the hose supplied by ETI.

Thanks for any help!
Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You little grill is a high pressure appliance and your on board is a low pressure system. You will need to bypass the regulator on the trailer(bad idea) or buy a single large propane tank and adapter hose for high pressure cooking or just use the little green bottles.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #3

Jim,

I am curious why you say that it is high pressure appliance. It comes with a regulator in the connection for the BBQ. Would that not be to convert it from high to low? Just curious.

Rick
Old 08-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boehm View Post
Jim,

I am curious why you say that it is high pressure appliance. It comes with a regulator in the connection for the BBQ. Would that not be to convert it from high to low? Just curious.

Rick

The BBQ you chose has regulator and so does the trailer. That makes two low pressure regulators. One has to go, and it's the one on the BBQ. If that regulator is integrated with the control knob, you can't remove it.
I don't have the quick connect. I prefer to use a 10 lb. tank and to place my BBQ where I want it.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Rick, 1/2" is a bit larger than 12mm so it is strange that if a 1/2" pipe thread is loose, and a 12mm pipe thread fits. Could you remove the regulator only from the hose and connect a male low pressure fitting there somehow?

Another thing is that I cannot find a single link to a CGG-606 online. I did find a CGG-306, could that be the model?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #6

Exclamation Wrong #

Sorry, I see that I had the wrong model number for those who went looking! It should be Cuisinart CGG-608. Sorry for the confusion.

Regarding suggestions that involve cutting the hose: There is no hose coming from the grill. After the brass fitting mentioned prior coming out of the manifold, there is a rigid mechanism that involves the regulator which is not able to be taken apart. The tubing might be able to cut to remove the regulator, but I am not sure that is desirable (The only hose is the one that would come off the Escape's fitting by the door.)

Thank you again for any help!
Old 08-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The Cuisinart QG-012B adapter hose would allow you to hook up directly from your grill to a 20 lb tank.

To use your grill directly with the low pressure connection on your Escape, you would have to remove the regulator on the grill, which is attached to a metal gas line with an integral fitting. And then find/make up a hose with a quick connect fitting on one end and a fitting that would work with the fitting on your grill on the other. Should be do-able but may take a bit of searching to find the right components.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #8

The above is what I use with my portable cooking appliances, works well.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
The Cuisinart QG-012B adapter hose would allow you to hook up directly from your grill to a 20 lb tank.
Yes, and similar adapter hoses (QCC-1 for the tank on one end, needle valve threaded end like the top of a one-pound cylinder on the other end) are available under many brands, and in various lengths. There is nothing specific to this grill or Cuisinart about the hose. You can also get extension hoses with male and female needle valve fittings on each end.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
WE solved the 'grille problem' by buying a 5 lb refillable propane tank + hose to use w our grill.. after we got our Casita.
Rather than add a gas line in our new 21 we will contilue to use this system, wh has worked well so far..plus it is easy to move about the campsite since, we found, not all sites are convenient to std propane line lengths. The 5 lb tank is much easier to move around that a 20 pounder too..for the ladies herein.For "security" we simply chain the tank to a bench of the picnic table.. so that "light fingered kids" do not run off w the tank, while we are away from the sites ;-)

OP wondering if your first name might be Pete? I had a guy in my class in at UTMed named Pete Boehm..just wondering.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
WE solved the 'grille problem' by buying a 5 lb refillable propane tank + hose to use w our grill.. after we got our Casita.
Rather than add a gas line in our new 21 we will contilue to use this system, wh has worked well so far..plus it is easy to move about the campsite since, we found, not all sites are convenient to std propane line lengths. The 5 lb tank is much easier to move around that a 20 pounder too..for the ladies herein.For "security" we simply chain the tank to a bench of the picnic table.. so that "light fingered kids" do not run off w the tank, while we are away from the sites ;-)

OP wondering if your first name might be Pete? I had a guy in my class in at UTMed named Pete Boehm..just wondering.
Holly & Fred,
If you click on the name it will take you to their profile and click on "about me" another screen where you can see that Richard is the first name...just as I did to find Holly&Fred

Tags
bbq; quick connect, propane, propane connection