BBQ storage - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Beautiful. I must try grilling corn on mine.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #62

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Beautiful. I must try grilling corn on mine.

Sometimes we grill corn directly. Sometimes we wrap corn in tinfoil and add butter, garlic, salt, pepper and then put them on the grill. YMMV.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #63

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can avoid the foil by soaking the corn cobs in water. Peel the husk back, but do not remove it, remove the silk, add butter or whatever if you like, and tie the husk back on.

Steams the corn.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We do corn all the time on the BBQ. We used to soak it, but now mostly just peel most of the husk off and roast it. I know many who just do it without any husk and it turns out just fine, the little bit of char is not a problem at all.

The biggest problem I have seen with corn is overcooking it. Lots of great corn grown in Southern Alberta, and when at a corn fair many of the growers were passing out pieces of cob not even cooked at all, and it was very yummy and sweet. When boiling, they said two minutes is lots of time, and to not do more. When roasting on the BBQ they said to just get it to where it is hot.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have on occasion just put the entire corn cob, husk, and silk on the BBQ and grilled it like that. The leaves may blacken a bit but the corn itself has always turned out quite fine.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #66

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
I like the char on the naked corn, plus it burns off all the silk !
Really, I like it anyway at all as long as it was picked the morning it was going to be cooked.....
Is there a cooking thread on this forum ? sounds like lots of cooks here with good ideas....

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #67

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I have on occasion just put the entire corn cob, husk, and silk on the BBQ and grilled it like that. The leaves may blacken a bit but the corn itself has always turned out quite fine.
By far my favorite way to cook corn. In fact, I'll bet starting a couple of ears in an hour or so...
Old 09-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #68

So when grilling corn with or without the husk, timing is everything and am I right that two minutes is the right time? I assume ...you do it with the lid closed, and you turn the corn over after the first minute for an even char?
Old 09-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #69

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
So when grilling corn with or without the husk, timing is everything and am I right that two minutes is the right time? I assume ...you do it with the lid closed, and you turn the corn over after the first minute for an even char?
With the husk on will take a bit longer to heat up than huskless, so I would leave those on the grill a bit longer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #70

I generally put the corn in its husk (after soaking it in the husk for a half hour or so) over a section of the grill without direct heat for about 20 minutes. While fresh corn does not take that much time to cook, less time does not heat the cob enough - it cools off before you finish eating it.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #71

So by a section of the grill without direct heat you mean, since my Weber is all direct heat, laying the pre-soaked, un-husked corn in, like, a cast iron fry pan? Weber lid down? 20 minutes seems long to me.

Side-bar: just back from the New Mexico State Fair. They must have seen me coming. Paid seven bucks for a corn dog. What could I do? I ate it.

But, they couldn't get me to bite on the chocolate coated deep fried bacon strips.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #72

Quote:
So by a section of the grill without direct heat you mean, since my Weber is all direct heat, laying the pre-soaked, un-husked corn in, like, a cast iron fry pan? Weber lid down? 20 minutes seems long to me.

Side-bar: just back from the New Mexico State Fair. They must have seen me coming. Paid seven bucks for a corn dog.
My home Weber is a three burner grill so I just don't light the back burner.

For traveling, I use a Giantex Propane Tabletop Gas Grill Stainless Steel Two-Burner BBQ which lets me shut down one side.

While fresh corn doesn't need the 20 minutes, as mentioned, I find the cob doesn't heat enough to stay warm throughout a meal with less time.

One of my favorite sweet corns is Mirai 301BC. You don't need to cook it at all unless you want it warm enough to melt the butter! Unfortunately, I've never found it for sale & have to grow it myself.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #73

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Does the Q1000 fit in the front compartment of a 19? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
We went with the Q1000 instead of the 1200. Didn’t think those little shelf’s where worth the extra bulk. The grills the same and easier to store.
Did you decide on the Q1000 because it fits in the front compartment? Any idea whether it will fit in the compartment on a 19? Thanks!
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #74

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
We use the Weber 1200, on a 20lb propane tank kept in the back of our truck. We got the 1200 because our Escape 17B does not have an oven. The taller 1200 allows us to roast chickens, roast beef, bake a cake, bread etc.
We like to soak our corn in salted water without the husk then grill it directly. The charred corn really adds to the taste we find, much like grilling romaine lettuce...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3722.jpg   IMG_3049.jpg   IMG_0194.jpg  
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #75

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Just completing E19 raised dinette mod and added larger hatch. The hatch gives 10.5" high clearance to top of 2 lock tabs versus 8.5" on rear ETI hatch opening. The width is 20.5". Still sorting out effective use of space.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4011.JPG   IMG_4032.JPG  
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #76

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
My home Weber is a three burner grill so I just don't light the back burner.

For traveling, I use a Giantex Propane Tabletop Gas Grill Stainless Steel Two-Burner BBQ which lets me shut down one side.

While fresh corn doesn't need the 20 minutes, as mentioned, I find the cob doesn't heat enough to stay warm throughout a meal with less time.

One of my favorite sweet corns is Mirai 301BC. You don't need to cook it at all unless you want it warm enough to melt the butter! Unfortunately, I've never found it for sale & have to grow it myself.
Hi Jon
I looked up your favorite corn. An outfit called Weseeds.com currently has packets on sale as it’s getting later in the season. Looks reasonably priced. The reviews on your favorite Marai 301bc state that is very popular with vegetable stand operators and at farmers markets. We only grow corn on the years we are adjacent to soybeans, so this is the year.

This year we are growing Xtra tender 30173 Treated F1 from Johnny’s seeds in Maine. We
are hoping for good stalk strength as wind is a big factor out here.

I have a Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds catalog this year. If you like vegetable and flower photography this is a great catalog. Beautiful.

Hope you’re doing well and staying out of the fray.
Iowa Dave

Tags
bbq, weber q 1200