BBQ storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Question BBQ storage

I’m about to purchase a Weber Q 1200 for our travel bbq. But I’m hung up on where I will store it while we travel. We’re in a 21 and pull with a 2019 Ford Expedition. So we have plenty of room in the car but I would really prefer to find a snug happy spot somewhere in/on the trailer. It a bit of a bulky shape and won’t fit through any exterior hatch doors. Has anyone figured out a great place to store this bbq between campsites? It gets great reviews online and I had the opportunity to cook on one this past week and it delivered. Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share.
rlavine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Put it in a Rubbermaid container to go in the SUV. We have a Weber Go Anywhere that fits in the front box with our chimney and charcoal.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have a 120, the predecessor to the 1200. We bought a clear tub from the container store that it fits in. We keep it in the back of the Highlander. There is no barbeque odor outside of the box. Also in the tub are a set of cooking tools, a griddle that goes on our campstove, a wire toaster, an extension hose for either the Weber or the Camp chef to my 11 lb bottle, extra drip pans, and a plastic putty knife for cleaning the inner belly of the grill.
This has been most satisfactory for the past three seasons.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #4

Thanks for this. I might like the idea of Weber go anywhere in the front box. I’m more a charcoal guy then gas anyway. All good choices.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #5

Thanks Iowa Dave. I love being able to get this “been there, done that” sage advice on this forum.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have the weber go anywhere gas--it's a good size for up to maybe 4 people, cleans easily, lightweight. I use it with my small tank that also is used for my gas campfire.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
O-grill for 21

Another alternative:

We have a Weber Go anywhere but I found the heat underwhelming. Since we cook protein and vegetables on the grill every night, I wanted a better grill.

We got an O-grill from Sur la Table. I don't think that they have them this year but there are similar models on the web. I bought the travel bag for it also. It is too large for the front bin but it fits right at the end of the bed in our 21 since the grill stores on its end. The travel bag keeps it from making any mess.

We didn't have room in our Jeep since we also (sometimes) travel with our inflatable kayak loaded in the back. Anyway, just another possibility.
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We have a Weber Que grill, and it mostly works ok. But I am thinking of replacing it with a similar model from Napoleon that seems to have more heat and a slightly higher dome that let us roast a whole chicken.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
My 0 grill goes in the scamp. I did put it inside my Rav4 but it rattled and was annoying, I always forgot to take the grease plate out which was causing the noise, and if i did i forgot to put it back in. So inside the camper it goes.
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My Napoleon 285 is too large to fit anywhere but the aisle in the trailer. It's last in and first out. Has two burners so you can cook direct or indirect. Has high dome lid for cooking whole chicken ( as mentioned ).
Attached Thumbnails
chicken napoleon - 1.jpg   chicken napoleon 2 - 1.jpg  
Old 07-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #11

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My Napoleon 285...Has high dome lid for cooking a whole chicken.
And, the occasional road kill.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
F. O.r. D

Gotta get them early in the morning in this hot weather. Otherwise it’s two for one.
Poached pheasant under Weber isn’t bad either.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The Dickinson Spitfire BBQ I had stored under a dinette bench in my 19, and now in the front hatch in my 5.0TA. I love having it on the trailer as it is camp gear.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #14

Re road kill...room for a whole “mechanically tenderized” possum is an absolute must have. And no need for a high dome for “cubed” armadillo. jk

Thanks for everyone’s great input. I appreciate you taking time to share your experience. I have lots of homework to do now...which all part of the fun.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Stock up on Road Kill Helper.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Weber Q1200

I bought the Q1200 for the trailer and really like it. I've roasted whole chickens, roast beef and pork shoulders. The griddle has done bacon and eggs. Seems very hot. I'm really a charcoal guy so I'm surprised how much I like it.

https://youtu.be/WrNhXEYIV1U
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
In the past I used a Coleman grill/stove. It was OK for a single person, and practical since you can grill on one side & steam vegetables on the other. The bad part is the grill was only fair. Hard to control temperature, no lid, and lots of flare ups.

I now carry a Giantex Propane Tabletop Gas Grill Stainless Steel Two-Burner BBQ, which does a great job of grilling & baking (using the side with the burner turned off). I carry a small butane stove to steam my vegetables or other pot based cooking.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Stock up on Road Kill Helper.

Following a tip in the newspaper, I tenderized a steak ( wrapped and in Ziplocks ) by rolling over it with my front tire.
Problem is the vehicle was a huge Jeep Cherokee Chief, with all-terrain tires. Had to pick bits of gravel out of the steak.
Next morning we were woken by heavy equipment digging up the septic field where I had tenderized the steak.
I'll pass on road kill.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Inspired by this thread, I went searching for a carry bag/cover for my grill and my propane campfire. The rectangular one seemed it might be too small for the grill but I ordered the round one for the campfire. Lo and behold, the grill fits the bag despite the different shape, so I just ordered another. Came the next day--and I live in a small town.

classic accessories veranda portable round table top grill cover and carry bag at amazon
Old 07-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlavine View Post
I’m about to purchase a Weber Q 1200 for our travel bbq. But I’m hung up on where I will store it while we travel. We’re in a 21 and pull with a 2019 Ford Expedition. So we have plenty of room in the car but I would really prefer to find a snug happy spot somewhere in/on the trailer. It a bit of a bulky shape and won’t fit through any exterior hatch doors. Has anyone figured out a great place to store this bbq between campsites? It gets great reviews online and I had the opportunity to cook on one this past week and it delivered. Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share.
We went with the Q1000 instead of the 1200. Didn’t think those little shelf’s where worth the extra bulk. The grills the same and easier to store.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq, weber q 1200