bed in the 21 Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We slept on a full size bed for decades with no problem. Then we moved and our 3 cats insisted on sleeping with us, and we upgraded to a queen bed. We get along fine in our Escape 19 as we put a mattress like our home mattress into the 19. Yes, it is a little effort with two sideways, but I just get up when my wife does and then I don't disturb her later. We all have to do what we have to do. Our parking space for the 19 just fits the 19 and a 21 would not fit, so it is not an issue to think about two-foot-itis.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have a tonneau cover on my truck, which is closed all the time when not towing, but if there is any one complaint about using a 5.0TA is the limited storage in the bed. The layout of the trailer is fantastic though, the whole reason for getting one, and still find this to be true after 2 years.

Other than a bit taller risers, you go up and down the stairs just like you would at home. Lots of room to stand. You do need to crawl (scootch) into place a bit in the loft, no different then on the driver side of the 21.
my wife has problems going up/down stairs, has to use a cane and go slowly, as I said, bad knees. we have no stairs at all at home

A tonneau cover on the truck wouldn't work for my astronomy gear, the telescope main box is too tall
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Much depends on what one (or a couple) is used to. When my wife was alive, we both slept on a full size bed for 42 years. No problems, no complaints, so I have no problem sleeping single on the Escape full side bed in the 21.

I know there are many couples that want/need the queen that the 19 provides, but if you are comfortable with a full size, the 21 makes it a bit easier for the middle of the night trips to the head...
The other thing about the 21 vs the 19 is that the layout provides for much more counter space and a wider aisle, so it feels so much bigger inside.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:51 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
The other thing about the 21 vs the 19 is that the layout provides for much more counter space and a wider aisle, so it feels so much bigger inside.
This is our reason for switching and the need to refill our propane tanks.....
Old 09-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #25

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Stating the obvious but both the 19 and the 5TA have queens. In the case of a fifth wheel you have to get use to a different towing set up but for us it was an easy choice. The size of the bed was one of the reasons we opted to the 5 TA over the 21. And yes I admit from time to time our golden retriever will hop on the bed.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
We opted for the 5th Wheel and love having the bed on the "second floor". Three stairs to climb isn't an issue, and the bed is tucked away, out of sight and always out of traffic. It's also really cozy up there with the queen-size mattress, which provides excellent support and comfort, and the ceiling vent and windows that open on each side of the bed for great air circulation.
Mrs. iamunique127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 21 (2017)
I'm pretty big at 6' and a legit 200lbs...(currently an illegit 215) my wife is average sized. We fit fine. I Have MS with a whacky metabolism that often makes me radiate heat like a furnace. I also have to get up several times a night. She sleeps fine with all of that as I do not have to crawl over her to get out of bed. I sleep better than I do in the house for some inexplicable reason. We are looking into a mattress topper however as I tend to have my side completely compressed by morning. (2017 Escape 21)
drmemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #28

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We found memory foam turns to wood when it's cold, changed to latex.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Interesting. We went foam with a memory foam topper. Worked well.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #30

Trailer: Eureka Truck Camper
Bumper Pull vs 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We didn't go with a 21 due to the bed size. Got lucky when ETI built the 5.0TA with a full queen not long after the 21 came out. It is of course a big change going from a trailer to a fifth wheel, it's not for everyone.
What do members find is the biggest difference/advantage between a bumper pull and 5th wheel. We are looking at a 19 and 5.0TA. I have pulled a bumper pull before.
LTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #31
Rgb

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
We have a King bed and also wondered about the bed in the 21 before purchase. We went ahead anyway as we love the 21 floor plan. The bed is great for us. We like the enclosed sides, no crawling over and the length is a Queen as I understand it. We can't say enough about how much we love the layout of the 21.
Rgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I think age is more the issue. I am 71 and have problems with my knees so the bed isn't that easy to get into. The issue isn't the bed itself it is that there is nothing to grab to pull or push yourself. The second issue is do you move around alot or as my wife does really spread out. We would probably do ok but my french Bulldog (although small) just adds to the clutter. I saw a Airstream (25 foot) one time that had a bed you could get in from either side, never saw another one like it, nor could I have afforded it, but it was nice.
My wife needs alot of sleeping space so she sleeps on the Table bed, the dog and I sleep in the big bed
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #33

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTucker View Post
What do members find is the biggest difference/advantage between a bumper pull and 5th wheel. We are looking at a 19 and 5.0TA. I have pulled a bumper pull before.

Good question! You may want to start a new topic, tho.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTucker View Post
Chances are everyone will have different ideas on this but here's mine.

You loose the truck bed, at least part there of. The bigger the truck bed the less you loose.

5.0TA pretty much requires a full size truck although a few folks get by with smaller ones.

5.0TA is easier to hookup, tows nicer (at least in my experience), has a separate bedroom, wider aisle, higher ceiling, bigger black tank, and a little bigger gray. I imagine it also hold more stuff although I never checked. Cabin on the 5.0TA, roughly 20' by 7' vs about 15'8" by 6'8".

We passed on the 19 before the 21 or 5.0TA came out as the aisle was too narrow, same as our old trailer. As you read, we passed on the 21 due to the bed. Wish they had a 5.0TA floor plan in bumper pull form, then I could have my truck bed back.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #35

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I have had both bumper pull and 5th wheel . 5th wheel tows a bit better smoother then my single axle bumper pull. I find it easier to hitch up my 5th wheel. Have to watch sharp corners the 5th wheel cuts in so you have to allow for that .
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:21 PM   #36

I was on the fence with the new 5th wheel model, but 2 items swayed me back to the bumper pull, the unknown and the known. There is the hitch issue, some trucks are very hard to install a 5th wheel hitch, whereas the trailer hitch had already been installed and used. The other item was losing the use of the truck bed which comes in handy with bikes and grills too large to fit inside the camper. Since I had towed an Escape already and was comfortable with it, I went with the known decision.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Chances are everyone will have different ideas on this but here's mine.

You loose the truck bed, at least part there of. The bigger the truck bed the less you loose.

5.0TA pretty much requires a full size truck although a few folks get by with smaller ones.

5.0TA is easier to hookup, tows nicer (at least in my experience), has a separate bedroom, wider aisle, higher ceiling, bigger black tank, and a little bigger gray. I imagine it also hold more stuff although I never checked. Cabin on the 5.0TA, roughly 20' by 7' vs about 15'8" by 6'8".

We passed on the 19 before the 21 or 5.0TA came out as the aisle was too narrow, same as our old trailer. As you read, we passed on the 21 due to the bed. Wish they had a 5.0TA floor plan in bumper pull form, then I could have my truck bed back.
The reversed 19 recently posted would fit this desire, front bed and reverse dinette
Old 10-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #38

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
As others have mentioned, there are a lot of obvious and some not-so-obvious technical differences, but to me, the biggest difference is the interior living space "ambiance". A flat floor camper (like the 17, 19, and 21) feels to me like an efficiency apartment, whereas a 5th wheel camper (like the 5.0TA) feels to me like a two-room suite. I'm good, either way, in that regard...
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm going to politely disagree with those that think a 5th wheel is easier to hookup. In the end, I suppose it really depends on if you're a tall or short person. I'm 5'6" (and shrinking). I cannot make certain I have a positive latch on the king pin, nor can I attach the break away cable without hiking up into the truck bed. I'm too short to reach in. Fortunately I have sufficient strength in my legs to step up on the tire and lift myself up. I carry a two-step ladder if I'm too tired to do it!

One thing about a bumper pull and hooking and unhooking you always keep both feet on the ground. It's the one thing I'm truly thinking about as I age.

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #40

Where do you connect the breakaway? I use the tie down right next to the tailgate. You've probably seen them, but these steps work, maybe easier then the step stool.

I'm 6'1", was 6'2" was long ago, I have to step up on the tire to lock my handle unless I remembered to position it's chain just right. So even for taller folks you may need to reach the center of the bed. Something else to mention to folks when they visit. Wonder if it's an issue with the Anderson.
Attached Thumbnails
step.jpg