Bees - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Bees

Cleaning the trailer the other day I saw a bee, or a number of them, making trips into the Air Conditioner so I'm guessing there is a nest being built. Has anyone dealt with such? I'm looking for how one removes the lid without getting stung and falling off the ladder.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Bees

Bob sounds like itís time to hook up and take a drive down the highway, maybe even go camping, if your gone for a few days that should take care of them.

Cheers
Doug

Old 06-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0TA
Duct tape your vacuum cleaner hose to a long 2 X 2 or PVC pipe and position the nozzle near their entrance. Turn the vacuum cleaner on and it will snarf them up as they come and go. Let it run for a half hour and then whack the top of the A/C a few times with a broom to flush out the stragglers. Once you have them all remove the A/C shroud and clean out all traces of the nest. This was my grandpa’s method of dealing with yellowjacket nests, and trust me, it works!
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
When they built a nest in my workshop air conditioner I used a Raid Fumigator to wipe them out. You place it in water and it creates a fog that kills the insects but does not damage wiring and such.
wetzk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Depends if they're bees or wasps. Wasps I use any method to kill them. Bees, not so much. Easy enough to make a simple smoker. That calms them right down and would let you take the cover off without being stung. I've opened many hives without being stung. The only time I was ever stung was when one was trapped between my coveralls and started to get squashed. Actually it was right on a sprained ankle and it made it numb and much less painful.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Did just that earlier this week Doug, drove to PA for 4 nights. Went out to the trailer today and had a couple yellow jackets buzzing around. DOn't know if they are from the A/C as yet, that's why I want to pull the shroud. Ill have to sit out there for a while and watch. I like the vacuum idea if they are.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 21 escape on order
I had mud dobbers,{like wasps} in my ac on our new 21ft. they like to make nest in the squirrel cage fan inside the ac unit, I knew they made a nest when I turned on the unit, it vibrated terrribly, the nest throws the fan out of balance causing the vibration, got on top and removed cover and took out the nest from the fan, now ac runs smooth as glass.
oldstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Wasps

If they are paper wasps, yellow jackets or mud daubers, keep a can of WD40 handy as you remove the screws. It will knock them right down. Bald faced hornets, the black and yellow
guys will take the blast type can of hornet and wasp spray. Do the work when it is as cool as possible. Be careful, most of these guys belong to a good union and if you mess with one, you got them all.
Iowa ( Amalgamated meatcutters and butcher workmen of North America) Dave
Old 06-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
we get two varieties of yellow jackets around here... the more common variety nest underground, in an old gopher hole. they are best 'nuked' by finding the entrance to their nest during the day, then well after dark, emptying a can of the foaming wasp killer directly into the hole.

the daubers that build their nests under eaves and such places, they are best nuked with the 'jet' wasp spray, again, wait for well after dark, then spray down the whole nest from 4-6 feet away.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Bees and wasps in trailers must be a Massachusetts thing. When I drove up to north of Boston some years back, to pick up my neglected old '81 Burro from someone's back yard, there were seven clusters of hives in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burro1.jpg (33.1 KB, 15 views)