Best for batteries in winter? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Best for batteries in winter?

I'm hoping the more learned minds can weigh in on this question - What's best for batteries during winter storage? We have the dual 6V package in our 19. One option I have is leave the trailer plugged in all winter with an electric heater inside set on low. Or I can do the "detach the leads, reattach monthly and recharge the batteries for a day or so each month" routine. We will see below-freezing temps often on winter nights, with the occasional possibility of temps getting to the mid to low 20s F.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'
Re: Best for batteries in winter?

Bruce-
I am about to bring in my 6Vs from Houdini as we have already had several nights of below freezing temps. Where the trailer spends the winter is really not close enough to plug in and we don't want the extra expense of running an electric heater for several months. They will go into the basement near the furnace on a piece of wood, not on the concrete floor. I will check the water levels and put a charger on them to bring them up a couple of times over the winter. Not exactly a learned mind, but it has been effective for me over the years with 12V.
We are hoping to get out early next Spring for a trip South... Can't wait!
Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

I'm with Bruce, any problem leaving the camper plugged in (with some aux heat to stay above freezing)? I know you need to check the water level occasionally, but will it harm the batteries to leave them plugged in? We hope to do some winter camping (if we can find any places open), and don't want to have to reinstall the batteries!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I left my battery hooked up and had the trailer plugged into AC with a small oil-filled heater, for the really cold days, all last winter. I have no place in the house to keep a battery. I should have checked the fluid level from time to time. But still, I took the battery down to my mechanic to check on his equipment and it was fine. This year I may disconnect it, but it will stay in the battery box. I'll connect it up from time to time, but that's it. More likely, I'll just leave it on trickle charge from the trailer and make sure I check fluid levels.

baglo
Old 10-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All... I don't know if it's best for batteries or not, but last year ours stayed in the batt. box in the trailer with the disconect switch turned off, and it was fine this year. Our trailer is an '07 and the batt. is original. I did remove the box lid and check fluid levels. Top up with distilled water only. Don't forget the smoke det. batt. When it gets cold/weak it will beep constantly!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

The care and feeding of deep cycle batteries is one of those areas that can generate almost limitless discussion (leading to too much worry for me) it seems. I have read so much about it that I have only succeed in confusing myself with all the sometimes conflicting advice out there. So, I am very far from an expert about this, so take my method as a grain of salt.....

Some people buy special deep cycle battery chargers that monitor charge and do special discharges on them and usually cost well more than $100. Others leave them plugged in all winter, others bring them inside to keep them warm, and still others buy small solar chargers to keep them topped up. The gel type batteries are claimed to be the answer to many charging problems by some advocates - but they seem to be about twice as expensive as conventional ones.

I have a small solar charger that I used last winter, but now I am wondering if it may have done more to hasten the premature death of my last battery - (due to the very small charge over long time periods it applied. I am STILL reading into all that and will undoubtedly confuse myself even more! LOL)

I have never read any evidence that has convinced me that cold by itself hurts a charged battery in any way. So this year I plan to go with a lazy low worry method. I am going to leave our new NAPA deep cycle on the trailer in our shed and monitor my battery voltage about once a week. When it drops to somewhere around 75% charge remaining I will plug it in and bring it back to 100%. With nothing turned on the trailer, it is dropping in voltage at a VERY VERY slow rate so far.

One thing that seems to be pretty consistent in my over-extensive reading is that deep cycle batteries have a limited number of deep discharge cycles available over their lifespan. A deep discharge is apparently one that takes the battery below a 50% charge level so I try to avoid that, especially in cold weather. But then, not draining the battery deeply enough on occasion is said to be unhealthy for them to........ and so it goes.

Good luck!

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #7

Practical question. When checking the water level in your batteries, do you just keep the plates covered (with distilled water, of course), or do you fill to some specific point short of the plastic flange in the batteries holes?
I'm keeping Hokie plugged in all winter, so the battery is ready for instant action (ie. a fun winter camping trip).
Old 11-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

This is what I found on a battery maintenance site about filling and fill levels:

"The water level should be no higher than 1/8 in. below the bottom of the vent well. To avoid battery damage, make sure the electrolyte level never drops below the top of the plates. Also, avoid overfilling, which may result in electrolyte overflow. Always use distilled water to fill the battery. Chemicals found in ordinary tap water may contaminate the battery."

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer
This is what I found on a battery maintenance site about filling and fill levels:

"The water level should be no higher than 1/8 in. below the bottom of the vent well. To avoid battery damage, make sure the electrolyte level never drops below the top of the plates. Also, avoid overfilling, which may result in electrolyte overflow. Always use distilled water to fill the battery. Chemicals found in ordinary tap water may contaminate the battery."

Eric
I'm assuming the "vent well" is the plastic flange that extends into the battery in the batteries holes?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #10

Always use distilled water, unless you live in Vancouver, BC. In that case you can use tap water.

baglo
Old 11-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer

Eric
I'm assuming the "vent well" is the plastic flange that extends into the battery in the batteries holes?
Yes - that is what I understand it to be.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

I don't understand what the "vent well" is. But as long as nothing comes out when I secure the caps onto the battery, have I safely not over-filled?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #13

When you remove the caps and look into the inside of the battery, below the rim is something like a "plastic ring" extending toward the water. Leave the water 1/8" below that.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #14

Hi folks.

I believe that using distilled water is best for batteries (even in Vancouver) because the distilliing processes removes any mineralization in the water.

I believe its important to keep the battery charged in cold weather to avoid having the battery freeze. As the battery discharges the acid solution freezing point rises so that the battery can potentially freeze at a higher temperature than a charged battery. Most batteries I have inadvertently froze due to being left out in a discharged state have been permamently damaged. So if you're likely to forget about battery maintenance during the dark, wet and cold months you're probably better removing the battery and storing it someplace where it can't freeze.

my two cents worth...
Calvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #15

We have 'soft' water in Vancouver. When I couldn't find distilled water in my local groceries, I asked my mechanic. He uses tap water. Vancouver often rates near the top when it comes to water, and still people buy bottled water ( which is often filtered tap water with added minerals ).

baglo
Old 11-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #16

"soft water" contains salts which are also determental to long term battery life - you're far better of using distilled water if you want longer batter life.

Distilled water is available at Candain Tire and I think I also bought some at London Drugs.
Calvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #17

Does the battery still charge if you turn off the cut off switch located under the table on the 19 ft Escape?
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald
Does the battery still charge if you turn off the cut off switch located under the table on the 19 ft Escape?
No once that switch is turned off the battery is isolated.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #19

You can isolate your battery? The green LEDs on your gas detectors go out? I thought that would be illegal.

My 17-foot trailer has a late-addition two by 12 V system. The isolation switch cuts out one, but not both batteries.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
You can isolate your battery? The green LEDs on your gas detectors go out? I thought that would be illegal.

My 17-foot trailer has a late-addition two by 12 V system. The isolation switch cuts out one, but not both batteries.
I don't know about yours, but the factory installed dual 6 volt batteries or
the single 12 volt are totally isolated when you through the switch, all
detectors are off. Reace set them up that way to eliminate parasitic drain
during periods of storage.