Best glue to use on face of headliner - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2016, 08:07 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Best glue to use on face of headliner

The other day I got the brilliant idea of using magnets on the cellular shades that we're getting for The Trailer. Haven't figured out all the details yet. I thought maybe some handy folks on this forum could provide some help.

Next time I'm up at ETI they're going to give me some samples of their headliner material, which is also used on the walls. I'm thinking we'll glue some metal strips to the wall so the magnets can attach to it and the shades will stay in place. Particularly at the end of the trailer were there's still a curve. Probably won't need it on the straight walls.

Anyway, any suggestions on the best sort of glue for this? The magnets aren't going to be so strong that you have to really yank on the blind to open it back up, but there will be some pressure applied to that metal strip. About the only glue I've regularly used is Elmer's and I think I need something stronger for this project. Sarah at ETI didn't have any suggestions.

Thanks much folks! Much appreciated.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I don't know if I would glue anything to the face of the vinyl Laura. It's glued (on the backside) to the insulation, but over time that adhesive does deteriorate somewhat. Doesn't take much to pull the vinyl away from the wall when that happens. Some owners who've had their trailer for awhile have had issues with the headliner sagging from the ceiling, and have had to re-glue it. If a metal strip was cemented to the interior surface, perhaps the pulling of the magnets off the strip would cause the vinyl to detach from the wall over time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2016, 08:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Since it is down the wall presumably and not on the ceiling, you could try a couple and see what happens.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:45 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
No harm in thinking out of the box and with these long gestation periods it is common. On the other hand, a lot of some questions will be easily handled once you receive your trailer and see the construction and how things are put together. Then put on your thinking caps and go to town. That said I do not think adding magnets to the headliner is practical as it is only glued or held in place by the cabinets trim and easily disturbed. Similar to popcorn ceilings, nice to look at but do not touch. But then again, with the newer insulation, it may be possible, no one knows until they get their own unit.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Magnetic personality?

Hi: All... Recently I had to wait in the Hospital. Not unusual you'd think. Every chair in the waiting room was full, so I stood in the doorway, hoping I could nab the next avail. seat. Time passed and as I wavered back and forth I could hear a clicking sound above me. Took me some thought to work out that my pacemaker was affecting the magnetic closure on the door, so watch out where you implant any magnets in your Escape... I may just drop in unannounced!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... Recently I had to wait in the Hospital. Not unusual you'd think. Every chair in the waiting room was full, so I stood in the doorway, hoping I could nab the next avail. seat. Time passed and as I wavered back and forth I could hear a clicking sound above me. Took me some thought to work out that my pacemaker was affecting the magnetic closure on the door, so watch out where you implant any magnets in your Escape... I may just drop in unannounced!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf, be careful you may erase some computer data with your magnetic personality...
Old 09-01-2016, 06:43 AM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
No harm in thinking out of the box and with these long gestation periods it is common. On the other hand, a lot of some questions will be easily handled once you receive your trailer and see the construction and how things are put together. Then put on your thinking caps and go to town. That said I do not think adding magnets to the headliner is practical as it is only glued or held in place by the cabinets trim and easily disturbed. Similar to popcorn ceilings, nice to look at but do not touch. But then again, with the newer insulation, it may be possible, no one knows until they get their own unit.
The blinds will be screwed into the underside of the cabinets, similar to what they do with the valences they currently use (which we're not getting). The magnets will be attached to the plastic part that's at the very bottom of the blinds. We were originally thinking of velcro, however that will attract fluff far more than magnets every would.

But, we won't know until we get the headliner samples. I was mostly wondering if anyone had glued anything to the front side of it and what they had used.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #8

I did not know that ETI was providing headliner samples? are there options for the headliner?
Old 09-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Contact cement will hold good. I only use the solvent based stuff due to its superior holding power over the water based. The more surface area, the more the holding power.

You could also see if Escape would put some backing in where you want, so you could mechanically connect the metal anchor points.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
The blinds will be screwed into the underside of the cabinets, similar to what they do with the valences they currently use (which we're not getting). The magnets will be attached to the plastic part that's at the very bottom of the blinds. We were originally thinking of velcro, however that will attract fluff far more than magnets every would.

But, we won't know until we get the headliner samples. I was mostly wondering if anyone had glued anything to the front side of it and what they had used.
Our replacement shades attach to the windows with Velcro in the metal channels. Three years no "fluff".
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #11

Original post and you can't even see the Velcro. So I think Velcro might still be an option.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post91812
Old 09-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
I'd be concerned about contact cement on the vinyl headliner material (which you can figure out once you get the samples). I have some "jewelry glue" that is like Elmer's, except it's acrylic and much more permanent once it dries. (It's for mounting sequins and doodads on t-shirts and such.) It would work, but it takes awhile to dry and would need to be clamped... So not very practical. I think "super glue" would have issues similar to contact cement. All things considered, I think velcro on the window is the best bet. Or maybe a little strip of steel on the window frame? (The window frames are aluminum, yes?)
Old 09-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #13

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Original post and you can't even see the Velcro. So I think Velcro might still be an option.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post91812
Apparently you have had no problem with heat from sun and outside temps causing the window frame to heat up causing the Velcro adhesive to soften and release....obviously we have! But we were using Velcro dots and small strips. Cold weather was fine but in the summer they always got warm and then slid around providing no real adhesion.
What kind of adhesive is on your Velcro and/or which Velcro did you get that has that adhesive?
Thanks!
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
IMHO, I wouldn't glue anything to the vinyl in hopes it worked. If it doesn't, now you've got glue where you don't want it and it may be impossible to remove. I'm far from an expert, but in all the years I've been reading the all-molded-towable forums, it seems for every person that wants to treat the "walls" like a sticks 'n bricks home, there's someone else asking "how do I reglue the interior covering? That doesn't matter if it's ensolite, Rat Fur or carpet. Hummm, your trailer... your decision most certainly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #15

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I also don't believe it's a good idea to glue magnets to the vinyl.

However, I don't see any reason you shouldn't glue magnets to the window frame. I use magnets all over my trailer. Sometimes I glue a magnet on each side, other times a magnet on one side and a steel washer on the other side.

Rare earth magnets are wonderful. Small and strong!

I use E6000 glue. It works great and I can get it off if I need to. The biggest problem I have with E6000 is that it flows slowly. When I'm glueing to a vertical surface I have to tape the magnet in place until it sets. A tiny magnet on the frame and another on the bottom rail of the blinds should do the trick. But you won't be able to pull the blinds below the window frame.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I thought these cellular shades were supposed to be an improvement.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #17

Trailer: none
I think they are but sometimes you want to do something additional...like reflectix panels or maybe blackout panels....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Contact cement works well on vinyl headliner. I know, I have tried it. Of course, there is no going back from it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Apparently you have had no problem with heat from sun and outside temps causing the window frame to heat up causing the Velcro adhesive to soften and release....obviously we have! But we were using Velcro dots and small strips. Cold weather was fine but in the summer they always got warm and then slid around providing no real adhesion.
What kind of adhesive is on your Velcro and/or which Velcro did you get that has that adhesive?
Thanks!
You have to buy high heat Velcro. This is not the stuff at your local home or fabric store. You also have to use 3M's primer to prep the surface. Got my Velcro from a company in Florida. Traveling otherwise I'd look up the name.
I bought 1/4 inch as it fits inside the groove around the window.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 17
Also wondering the answer here too?

"I did not know that ETI was providing headliner samples? are there options for the headliner?"
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote