best TV option for a 17B ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
best TV option for a 17B ?

We have a 17B on order for July 16th. We have the TV antenna, mounting arm and 12V power point on the build sheet. I've read a 22" TV is recommended.

Looking at a few sites here in Canada the selection of 22" TV's is very small. Any chance a 23 or 24 could fit ?

Are there any models you can recommend ?

I'd prefer one that runs on 12V and is smart but that isn't looking good at this point.

We were happy with a 18" TV on our boat but bigger is always better. We liked the ability to electronically adjust the viewing angle as it was mounted high and were laying down low. A normal screen would be very dim at that angle.

What are others using ?

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I found that after a full day of being outside camping that I fall right to sleep. The only time I used the tv was really not much as the smart phone gives me a lot of info. Maybe watch a movie on a rainy night would be it, so make sure it has a built in dvd player.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I found that after a full day of being outside camping that I fall right to sleep. The only time I used the tv was really not much as the smart phone gives me a lot of info. Maybe watch a movie on a rainy night would be it, so make sure it has a built in dvd player.
Thanks, I agree. We don't use cable at home. Netflix, Prime and Crave for a movie or a series. The TV is the display for these and use it over the air for local news and weather when travelling if we don't have wifi or a data connection.

Bob
Old 03-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #4

Trailer: ?
We bought this one. Works well. It is 120v but it only draws 35 watts so most any 12v inverter will work.
Only weighs 2.27 Kg.
I’m not sure they make ‘smart’ TV’s in the really small size.

This TV mounts perfectly with the Escape supplied mounting arm except that the screws that Escape supplies with the arm are a bit too long. You will need to buy the size specified in the TV owners manual. Or use washers for spacers. Either way works.

Enjoy your wait.
Ed

https://www.amazon.ca/HITACHI-R-22E3...r=8-1-fkmrnull
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
We bought this one. Works well. It is 120v but it only draws 35 watts so most any 12v inverter will work.
Only weighs 2.27 Kg.
I’m not sure they make ‘smart’ TV’s in the really small size.

This TV mounts perfectly with the Escape supplied mounting arm except that the screws that Escape supplies with the arm are a bit too long. You will need to buy the size specified in the TV owners manual. Or use washers for spacers. Either way works.

Enjoy your wait.
Ed

https://www.amazon.ca/HITACHI-R-22E3...r=8-1-fkmrnull
Thanks for the advise, looks like a good choice. I'll check the length of the bolts to fasten the mount to the TV.
Your right there isn't much of a selection in 22" TV's. I hoped a 24" might fit and that would provide more options.
I have time so I'll keep looking around.
Bob
Old 03-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
We have a 24" Vizio smart TV in our E-21 mounted to the wall with the wall mount that Escape sells. Vizio has a nice user interface that makes it easy to rescan for channels when switching from CATV, to OTA or Sat inputs. I am guessing that Escape mounted the mount near the corner of the cabinet instead of the middle of the wall as there is more framing there. Would have articulated much better if it was mounted in the middle of the wall. Our TV is an older version of this model, I think. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-2...?skuId=6032516
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #7

Another reason to reinforce a wall, to give you better selection for mounting heavy items, other than the corner. Course with the closet wall, one could always reinforce via inside the closet...
Old 03-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Jim,
I though I had ordered that but I guess I did not or it was not done. In any case, it does not seem to be reinforced well enough to hang a TV mount. I will have to check my order.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
We put a 24 inch Samsung in our 5.0 TA but in the closed position it stuck out in to the door way and we had to watch hitting our head when climbing into bed so bought a 22 inch insignia and it gives us a little more room but the 24 would work. I am not sure how it fits in the 17 but the 24 inch will fit the tv arm provided by Escape.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
I'll check the length of the bolts to fasten the mount to the TV. Bob
Most modern flat screen Tv's use the VESA mount standard as related to wall or arm TV mounts. I believe all wall or arm mounts will fit the 100 or 400 VESA standard.

Just want to make sure the TV you purchase has the mounting holes that will match the mount you buy.

Most mounts will come with the correct screws to fit the TV or the screws will already come on the TV with the screws installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Hitachi 22inch.jpeg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVic View Post
We put a 24 inch Samsung in our 5.0 TA but in the closed position it stuck out in to the door way and we had to watch hitting our head when climbing into bed so bought a 22 inch insignia and it gives us a little more room but the 24 would work. I am not sure how it fits in the 17 but the 24 inch will fit the tv arm provided by Escape.
Hi RicVic, We have a 5.0 on order and are considering TV's. I am finding that the offerings in a 22" are different than our wants and we are strongly considering a 24". I have been wondering how far out that the 24 might stick and thus appreciate your post. Do you think an an alternative mounting location might work with a 24?
Old 03-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #12

This thread on television size in our little camper reminds me of camping next door once to a motorhome where the tv was mounted inside a storage compartment, they came out and sat in chairs to watch the giant screen tv.....
Attached Thumbnails
s6q7uv.jpg  
Old 03-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Have you looked at the 22 inch Skyworth TV on Roadtrucker.com. ?
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i bought a 24 inch i had to get an adapter to make the arm fit it yes it sticks out when in viewing position but we fold it back when not watching it. And fold it around when watching from the dinette.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Per RicVic - We put a 24 inch Samsung in our 5.0 TA but in the closed position it stuck out in to the door way and we had to watch hitting our head when climbing into bed
That is what I was thinking, apparently RicVic's setup is different. I saw a post be Adrian (emers) saying his blocks the cabinet in the loft when not in use, I don't see that as a deal breaker for us. Ronn
Old 03-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Have you looked at the 22 inch Skyworth TV on Roadtrucker.com. ?
thanks, interesting option, I'll research it further.
Bob