Best way to Chilliwack, BC from Spokane - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Best way to Chilliwack, BC from Spokane

Driving from Montana, the various map programs all take you thru Seattle on I5 up to Chilliwack. An alternate route appears from Spokane you head north and take Washington state#2 to State#20 to #97 and cross border at Osoyoos and take Canada 3 west to Chilliwack. More direct but not sure what kind of roads are involved. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Best way to Chilliwack, BC from Spokane

Depends.
If you want to enjoy the scenery and aren't in a hurry, via Osoyoos would be a much more interesting drive.

If you want to be bored to tears, with fast food outlets at every off ramp, then I5 is likely faster.

Best check when border crossings are open if you opt for via Spokane. Nighthawk is only open 9 to 5 and I'm not sure about Osoyoos.

What does Google say?

baglo

In Osoyoos, at the Escape Rally

Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

We live in Helena, MT. and last year we took that route through Osoyoos with the camper to have the storage box put on. I don't recall any border issues, but like baglo said, its much slower and more interesting than I5 and I90. We stayed at Grand Coulee and Osoyoos.
Because of time constraints our return trip took us through Seattle. We navigated Seattle early on a Sunday morning and traffic was very light.

Ron
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape

Paul and I attended a conference for work in Seattle in early May and decided to swing up to Chilliwack for a look at the Escape trailers - which confirms that our plan is to purchase a trailer in a couple of years when Paul retires! We returned home to Spokane via Osoyoos - we did encounter a border guard who seemed to think it was suspicious that we had taken the scenic route home on the Canadian side and was quite rude and impatient. It must be boring to be in your twenties and hope to intercept terrorist but just have to deal with doddering old people who think it fun to drive about looking at beautiful scenery. Anyway we didn't complain afraid we would be strip searched and have our ancient subaru torn apart by the Gestapo wanna be .
Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

So there is a border crossing there? Where would I find their hours?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

I think the border crossing by Osoyoos is called Oroville WA... Think they close at midnight?
Old 06-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape

I'm sure the hours are posted online -not sure of the website but google will know!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19

We have traveled a couple of routes to Chilliwack. Crossing at Osoyoos and taking the Crowsnest Hwy thru southern BC affords the opportunity for great scenery and some nice easy hiking in EC Manning Provincial Park. It is not the fastest way, but it is nice. Another nice way, especially this time of year, would be to take the North Cascades Hwy (Route 20) from Winthrop to Rockport. I would not necessarily recommend Rte 9 in Washington state that parallels I-5 north of Seattle. Very winding and slow. We are from Montana as well.
rajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

You can find the border service hours at Oroville/Osoyoos crossing for travel into Canada here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/l...fice537-e.html

You should be able to get into Canada 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We crossed here going both ways last week and spoke to others who had done the same.

This is not a busy crossing. When we crossed into the US there were two booths open but we were the only vehicle. We were asked a lot of questions which seemed more to pass the time than anything else. We frequently cross at Douglas/Blaine and have a Nexus pass and usually are through in less than a minute. I would guess there may be some job security issues at Oroville/Osoyoos.

Some people at the Osoyoos rally from Texas told us that it had taken them a long time to get into Canada through Osoyoos even though they were perfectly clean. They were asked if they had guns. They said "no". They were asked if they had guns at home, they said "yes". They were asked why they had not brought their guns with them!

My advice is to make sure that you understand the rules about what you can bring in and can't bring in and make sure you are obeying the law, and tell the truth.

Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA

Hi Brian,
I got a chuckle out of your post. Each time we cross we are stereo typed by Canadian border guards as gun toting outlaws who rob stagecoaches and mail trains for a living. A couple of years ago my wife and I crossed at the Rainbow Bridge at Niagra all shined up to celebrate our wedding anniversary with some fine dining. As we rolled up to the Canadian check point with passports in hand we were asked where we lived. I replied Texas. He said do you own guns? My answer was yes of course. Do you travel with handguns or long guns? My answer was yes sometimes with both. Which led to... are you carrying guns on you or in your vehicle. My answer was no sir never in Canada. He let us go on without a search. I think they must catch a lot of our idiots up north which feed their misconceptions about Texans. I can hardly wait till July to cross for our trailer with a pickup load of camping/RV stuff.

David
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell

Some people at the Osoyoos rally from Texas told us that it had taken them a long time to get into Canada through Osoyoos even though they were perfectly clean. They were asked if they had guns. They said "no". They were asked if they had guns at home, they said "yes". They were asked why they had not brought their guns with them!
The guard then told us we could have brought our guns into Canada with a permit, "now do you have guns with you?" Afterwards , they proceeded to inspect both trucks and campers from Texas. We weren't the only ones getting inspections. I really do agree they must be justifying their positions. We haven't had that much trouble at other locations.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

As I understand it, you could have brought long guns for hunting purposes ( with permits ), but not handguns or AK47s ( permits or not ).
And, given the number of seizures for weapons, I don't think they are just trying secure jobs, although that certainly is an issue recently.

With Texas plates you probably got some extra attention. Sort of like any guy named Barak Hussein heading south right after 9/11.

baglo