Biggest TV that will fit in 21 escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #21

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Quote:
Would be perfect for watching NFL. You could have your very own concussion.
I wish there was a "like" button on the forum. Some of Mr. "G's" comments crack me up.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:44 AM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In my sticks 'n bricks, I've gone through two TV/DVD combo units. Why is it the DVD player goes out pretty quickly? I'll never buy another combo unit. DVD players are <$50 and are pretty small. If just the DVD player goes out the unit can be easily replaced.
I agree. Even better: get a Blu-ray player, since DVD is already nearly obsolete and a Blu-ray player will play your old DVDs and CDs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gang View Post
I guess I should have explained a little better. The idea I had was that perhaps Escape could fiber-glass a piece of wood to the ceiling just like they do the walls for attaching the cabinets. That way no screw penetration of the roof.
PS: Looking at some build pictures, it appears Escape does fiber-glass some wood to the ceiling.
Yes, blocks of wood are used as anchor points, and to form stiffening ribs. Since the 21' was first built, there has also been cored sections, and the core material is apparently wood in at least some areas. That doesn't mean that either the ribs or cored areas are suitable anchor points, but there's potential.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree. Even better: get a Blu-ray player, since DVD is already nearly obsolete and a Blu-ray player will play your old DVDs and CDs.
I'd think Blu-ray is also close to obsolete, replaced by streaming and downloads.
My $79 7-inch portable DVD player hooks up to my 15-inch TV. It's been used twice in three years to play "Caravaners" a National Film Board documentary about convoys of Airstream trailers touring BC.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd think Blu-ray is also close to obsolete, replaced by streaming and downloads.
Sure... just leave out any player, and camp only in major cities.

More seriously, you can spend your life managing media, including copying whatever you might want to watch to whatever storage your mobile device can access, and either watch it on your tiny little phone screen, or connect that device to your TV (Chromecast, Apple TV, whatever...).
Old 04-07-2016, 01:33 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I recall sitting around the campfire one night and having a fellow camper philosophize about humans being attracted to fires.
And another, more practical, pointed out that there was nothing else to look at, being as it was dark out.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I'm debating whether to bother with a TV for our 21. My MacBook Pro can play DVDs and long ago I bought a converter/adapter that lets my plug it into a coax cable and view TV on it. It's 15" screen sitting close to us looks larger than the max size TV we could get mounted for the 21. I'm leaning toward getting the TV ready option and seeing how often we actually use it. So far with our 17, it has only been a few times total.

More importantly I want to get a better quality radio than Escape offers, one with HD radio tuning built in. I'm hoping that the HD signal will come thru in more remote areas. It has for us at home where we got a weak analog signal, but the HD tuner I bought works perfectly. We listen mostly to NPR and in Wisconsin all the NPR stations broadcast both an analog and digital signal. Does anyone know if other states and/or provinces do the same?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M. View Post
Samsung (14 V)

We bought the 25" extension Master Mounts 404L (made by McNaughton, but at a higher priced if bought under that name).

Now to see whether we will actually use all this stuff when camping.
Would not the 14V Samsung work fine too. Many things powered by DC seem to have a broad range of acceptable voltages for working.

I see a chain that hangs down from the wall mounted end. Can you removed the whole mount? I like that you can get an adapter that easily removes the TV, but I definitely want to be able to completely remove the mount arm, leaving only a small base piece.

That last statement is the kicker. We have only once watched TV via the cable port in our 19, and watched movies on a laptop maybe 6 times, all in over 6 years. However, upon retirement and travelling more, I suspect we will likely watch more then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gang View Post
Has anyone mounted their TV from the ceiling?
I really like this idea, which might work good in the 5.0TA. I think I shall explore the option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I recall sitting around the campfire one night and having a fellow camper philosophize about humans being attracted to fires.
And another, more practical, pointed out that there was nothing else to look at, being as it was dark out.
Well, other than your mug, that is.

The draw of a campfire is that it has a life too it, in that it is ever changing. I know Air Force training suggests that in the case of a plane going down in a remote area, that once a place to set up is found, the first thing to do is to light a fire, as it not only provides heat, but also a form of companionship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I'm debating whether to bother with a TV for our 21. My MacBook Pro can play DVDs and long ago I bought a converter/adapter that lets my plug it into a coax cable and view TV on it. It's 15" screen sitting close to us looks larger than the max size TV we could get mounted for the 21. I'm leaning toward getting the TV ready option and seeing how often we actually use it. So far with our 17, it has only been a few times total.

More importantly I want to get a better quality radio than Escape offers, one with HD radio tuning built in. I'm hoping that the HD signal will come thru in more remote areas. It has for us at home where we got a weak analog signal, but the HD tuner I bought works perfectly. We listen mostly to NPR and in Wisconsin all the NPR stations broadcast both an analog and digital signal. Does anyone know if other states and/or provinces do the same?
Whether to actually use a TV at all is still a debate for us, as in most cases a laptop works fine. It might be nice to have a TV right out of the way though. I do think we will get the TV ready option though, just in case.

I had a built in radio in the 19, and while it was nice when we used it, it did not offer much flexibility. I think a good quality bluetooth speaker is what we will use. Heck, I could even install a shelf dedicated for its use to keep it out of the way. What is NPR?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What is NPR?
Sorry - those abbreviations again - National Public Radio - sort of like the CBC for you.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Sorry - those abbreviations again - National Public Radio - sort of like the CBC for you.
Kinda wondered if it was not something like that. I have never heard it. I don't listen to CBC though, for reasons we cannot discuss here.

My preferred station is CKUA, a publicly funded station that has a wide variety of programming, as well as very knowledgeable disc jockeys. They do have some programming I don't care for, but very much love listening to most of it. They support a lot of local and national performers too.
CKUA Radio
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:

I'm in complete agreement with your synopsis, we only used the antenna a couple of times and decided to drop it off the option list, just getting tv ready option. Radio is more important, HD and or satellite as well as blue tooth to play off the iPhone reception. I leaning towards a good hd/satellite/table top model with good sound, Koss maybe.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm in complete agreement with your synopsis, we only used the antenna a couple of times and decided to drop it off the option list, just getting tv ready option. Radio is more important, HD and or satellite as well as blue tooth to play off the iPhone reception. I leaning towards a good hd/satellite/table top model with good sound, Koss maybe.
Jim, I've been looking into something like this one: Pioneer Receiver as it's made for a vehicle and hopefully will absorb shocks and I like the idea of it built in - out of the way. From looking at Leon and Lindy's 21 setup it looks like there is plenty of space where ETI mounts the standard radio. I'm going to see if Reace will do the wiring, speakers, cutout and I;d just then install this type of receiver.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #33

A bit off topic, but how do people play radio stations via a bluetooth speaker. I know I can use my phone, but I would also like a separate radio player. I would want whatever it is to be portable.

At home we use Sonos a lot. I love that radio stations come in clearer than off the air, and that there is over 30 million songs to choose from to play, and thousands of radio stations to choose from. I would love to incorporate this concept into my trailer, but unfortunately it is all wifi based, though the biggest problem is that it is all 120V. Maybe I should suck it up, and use an inverter.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #34

Quote:
A bit off topic, but how do people play radio stations via a bluetooth speaker. I know I can use my phone, but I would also like a separate radio player.

At home we use Sonos a lot. I love that radio stations come in clearer than off the air, and that there is over 30 million songs to choose from to play, and thousands of radio stations to choose from. I would love to incorporate this concept into my trailer, but unfortunately it is all wifi based, though the biggest problem is that it is all 120V. Maybe I should suck it up, and use an inverter.
Jim - internet radio has great quality, but we spend so much time away from wifi availability and cell data costs an arm and a leg. Even then lots of places we camp have poor cell coverage too.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Jim - internet radio has great quality, but we spend so much time away from wifi availability and cell data costs an arm and a leg. Even then lots of places we camp have poor cell coverage too.
You can have wifi local network (your trailer network), and not have to use data. Of course, pulling in radio on the phone would require using data, but that is why I am looking for another portable solution.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #36

Quote:
You can have wifi local network (your trailer network), and not have to use data. Of course, pulling in radio on the phone would require using data, but that is why I am looking for another portable solution.
Huh? We setup a wifi shared network frequently using the iPhone as the hot spot, but the data connection still has to come from somewhere - in our case Verizon's cell tower network. The only place we seem to find a provided wifi network are at the yucky commercial RV places. What am I missing? We can locally get our iPhones, iPads and MacBook to talk to one another and/or I can connect via Bluetooth to each other or, for example, that receiver I'm looking at, but internet radio is gonna need an internet connection somehow

Old 04-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
A bit off topic, but how do people play radio stations via a bluetooth speaker. I know I can use my phone, but I would also like a separate radio player. I would want whatever it is to be portable...
We had ETI add a Jensen JHD910BT Bluetooth radio in our build. Has am/fm/wb and can stream to your portable Bluetooth speaker. Is very small (often used on motorcycles) and takes up very little space in our 19' on the face of the upper cabinet above the stove. Ours looks like this.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is the one I installed in BlackJack....
Old 04-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Huh? We setup a wifi shared network frequently using the iPhone as the hot spot, but the data connection still has to come from somewhere - in our case Verizon's cell tower network. The only place we seem to find a provided wifi network are at the yucky commercial RV places. What am I missing? We can locally get our iPhones, iPads and MacBook to talk to one another and/or I can connect via Bluetooth to each other or, for example, that receiver I'm looking at, but internet radio is gonna need an internet connection somehow
Eric, I am talking about doing it without a data connection. Even should our internet service go out at home, we can still use our network to share data, print, play music, and so on. If one used a router in the trailer, I would assume could achieve the same thing.

Once again I ask that age old question of mine, "Am I missing something?". And please keep any responses to the question at hand, and not my mental (in)stability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
We had ETI add a Jensen JHD910BT Bluetooth radio in our build. Has am/fm/wb and can stream to your portable Bluetooth speaker. Is very small (often used on motorcycles) and takes up very little space in our 19' on the face of the upper cabinet above the stove. Ours looks like this.
This is what I would like to have, but in a portable version. My though is to use it outside the trailer too. I always assumed it was a built-in only solution. You say they use it on motorcycles, then it must be capable of that. I will look into it.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #40

Quote:
We listen mostly to NPR and in Wisconsin all the NPR stations broadcast both an analog and digital signal. Does anyone know if other states and/or provinces do the same?
This is a couple years out of date, but it's not a very active topic of discussion:
CRTC looking at bringing HD Radio to Canada

So whatever you do to receive HD Radio in the United States will likely work for digital audio broadcasts in Canada... but you're not going to find many of them.