Bike Covers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Bike Covers

Searching around the internet I find mixed reviews on the need for covering bikes on a bike rack. I've not used them in the past but am considering one now that we're spending months at a time on the road.

If you use a cover, is there a down side to it other then taking a couple minutes to put on? Any tips on using such?

If you do not cover, how often do you clean and lube the bike/s? Don't think I can get away with once a year anymore. The combination of road dust and rain leaves them a mess.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Searching around the internet I find mixed reviews on the need for covering bikes on a bike rack. I've not used them in the past but am considering one now that we're spending months at a time on the road.

If you use a cover, is there a down side to it other then taking a couple minutes to put on? Any tips on using such?

If you do not cover, how often do you clean and lube the bike/s? Don't think I can get away with once a year anymore. The combination of road dust and rain leaves them a mess.
Good questions. I have been wondering the same thing. Any good covers available or do people just wrap a small tarp around the bikes?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Here you go:https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Bike-cov...osa+bike+cover

Fits two bike great. We haul two very expensive bikes all over Alaska, the Yukon and on our annual/biannual trip up/down the Alcan or Cassiar and it keeps the bikes immaculate. Fits the 1 UP like it was made for it. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post

Fits two bike great. We haul two very expensive bikes all over Alaska, the Yukon and on our annual/biannual trip up/down the Alcan or Cassiar and it keeps the bikes immaculate. Fits the 1 UP like it was made for it. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Cool, thanks
Old 07-30-2016, 10:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If the rack is on the back of the trailer, and you are depending to any extent on visibility of tail lights through the spokes, a cover will block that. There are covers with clear sections for this reason, but I don't know how well they work.

I hauled a pair of bikes on the back of a motorhome from coast to coast, entirely on paved roads, and the bikes got pretty grimy.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Have the same and works great.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
How does the driver behind you see your tail lights?
Attached Thumbnails
41HwQiuP6LL.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
How does the driver behind you see your tail lights?
Isn't this the purpose of the 2nd set of tail lights?
Old 07-31-2016, 05:30 AM   #9

Quote:
I've seen some photos of rather large taillights up high on an escape. Do they still offer those as an option?
Old 07-31-2016, 05:43 AM   #10

Think they are standard now.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:49 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Your license plate needs to be visible at all times as well as your tail lights, regardless if you have more than one set. I see a possible ticket situation using the cover if the trooper is having a bad day...
Old 07-31-2016, 08:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Yes. We have this cover two, and wouldn't consider using it without the second set of tail lights.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:17 AM   #13

Trailer: None now
I had 2 bikes on the back of my vehicle and the license plate was just obscured. And was ticketed by the local PD for it. There is a requirement in Florida that the plates be visible and legible 100 feet to the rear. I wonder if there is a way to mount the plate high under one of the upper brake lights . It also would require a license plate light so the plate is visible at night.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I had 2 bikes on the back of my vehicle and the license plate was just obscured. And was ticketed by the local PD for it. There is a requirement in Florida that the plates be visible and legible 100 feet to the rear. I wonder if there is a way to mount the plate high under one of the upper brake lights . It also would require a license plate light so the plate is visible at night.
If your worried about your trailer plate being visible: https://www.1upusa.com/product-plateholder.html

You can use it with the cover, however you have to put four small holes through the cover to attach the plate holder and it makes taking the cover completely off the rack rather tedious. On road trips if using the bikes at camp we tend to leave the cover attached and just leave it draped over the rack.

We even use the plate holder without the cover on our other vehicles. (Especially after having a Hefeweizen after a long snow ride on the fat bikes). Scott

Scott, Lori and a White Schnauzer named Fritz
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I got this one for only $26, and am very happy with it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'
We are starting our preparations for a long several month trip out West. We have a Kuat two bike hitch rack like: Kuat NV 2.0 Bike Hitch Rack | Backcountry.com and are very satisfied with it though the bikes get grubby when traveling. We are looking for a two-bike cover that will work for bikes that SITon the rack. Ideally, I would like to find a cover that covers the bikes AND the rack, enclosing the lot. This Kuat that we have measures 28" from front (back of trailer ) to back. If the bike vise is removed, it measures 22" front to back. Has anyone had experience with a cover that would do this? Our limited experience is with covers that work with racks that the bikes only hang from. Any suggestions?
Old 01-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddys View Post
We are starting our preparations for a long several month trip out West.
Yay! The Eddys are coming to the rally again this year (I hope).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
We are starting our preparations for a long several month trip out West. We have a Kuat two bike hitch rack like: Kuat NV 2.0 Bike Hitch Rack | Backcountry.com and are very satisfied with it though the bikes get grubby when traveling. We are looking for a two-bike cover that will work for bikes that SITon the rack. Ideally, I would like to find a cover that covers the bikes AND the rack, enclosing the lot. This Kuat that we have measures 28" from front (back of trailer ) to back. If the bike vise is removed, it measures 22" front to back. Has anyone had experience with a cover that would do this? Our limited experience is with covers that work with racks that the bikes only hang from. Any suggestions?
As recommend by another Escape owner from Alaska, Scott I believe it was, I go this bike cover. Used it last summer and it worked great.

Dual Bike Rack Cover Fit Up 1-2 Bicycles W/large Translucent Ends

I use it with the 1UP USA dual bike rack which was also highly recommended by the same Escape owner. Love both the cover and the rack.

They have 2 different dual bike covers. One for $40 and one for $46. The $40 one says the bikes have to face the same direction on the rack. The $46 for bikes facing same or opposite direction, that is why I chose the $46 one.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'
JohnB,
We had purchased this cover before and on their website they show a depth of 18" front to back. Not enough space for the Kuat I feel. What is the make of your rack that it fits? Is it a sit on rack?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
JohnB,
We had purchased this cover before and on their website they show a depth of 18" front to back. Not enough space for the Kuat I feel. What is the make of your rack that it fits? Is it a sit on rack?
https://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html

I have the heavy duty double bike rack, sit on rack, as shown in above link. The centre line spacing between the two tracks that the bikes sit on is about 10".

There was ample material in the Formosa cover to completely encapsulate the bottom of the bikes and the rack support arm. The bottom of the cover is rounded not square seams.

Looks like the Kuat spacing is about the same, 11.5", but the entire Kuat base is about 23" at the centre support arm? Depending on the height of the bikes, it may indeed be a tight fit. Too bad you can't try one out without having to order one on-line.

I would be tempted to say get one and try it out with the Kuat. If it works, it is a good solid cover. If the bikes are not too tall or if you can lower the handle bars or turn them 90 degrees, that would give more room for the cover to fit around the base support of the rack?? Hopefully some other owners will contribute with their experiences with alternate bike covers.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote