Bike Rack Redux - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Osos, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Posts: 2,421
Bike Rack Redux

Returned my Swagman bike rack because I couldn't stop it from rubbing the paint down to bare metal as was mentioned here previously. Had it five months but got Amazon to take it back on a one-time exception. It was also a PIA to release the hook bar.

Anybody have experience with the Highland SportWing 4 Bike Rack for 2" Hitches - Aluminum? $200 at etrailer.com(RV suitable). All Thule & Yakima racks are not suitable for RV use, so if you use one and have any failure you're on your own. Not sure about Kuat, but not excited about spending $400+ anyway as we have average bikes but find them very useful to have.
__________________

Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,958
What makes the Yakima and Thule racks unsuitable for RV use?
__________________

__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boise, Idaho
Trailer: 2014 17B
Posts: 49
Maybe Thule and Yakima don't want to accept the liability, but I have used a Thule T2 for going on 8 years. They also mention it is not intended for offroad use, but I have taken it on many rough adventures. The only failure I have had was on a 100 mile dirt road drive down in Utah. The dust had penetrated into the latch and caused it to loosen. We washed it out and continued down the road.

We only recently got our trailer and have taken it one long washboarded dirt road drive. At the end of the drive the bike was still on the back. I would not trust my carbon mountain bikes on a Swagman.
smilycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Osos, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
What makes the Yakima and Thule racks unsuitable for RV use?
I brought home a T2 originally and when looking at the manual to set up saw the disclaimer. Found out later that all Thule racks state that. Then saw the Yakima Holdup which is comparable to the T2- they say of course it is sturdier, but again not suitable.
Yeah, I thought it was just CYA too. But RV's are a big market.

Spoke with Rose at etrailer.com and she acknowledged that some people do use the T2 for RV's. All she could say was "if it were me would I use one? Well, if it were for a few trips, yeah maybe, for 100 trips, no."

If you look closely the ones built for RV's have pin bolts that are secured by wire. They tend to be more simply built and probably have other features to help withstand the pendulum effect.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Returned my Swagman bike rack because I couldn't stop it from rubbing the paint down to bare metal as was mentioned here previously.
One of my biggest issues with the Swagman as well, they aren't that stable in transit either.

After now using my 1Up USA rack, and showing it to dozens of bike enthusiasts, I can with great certainty say it is by far the best built, and easiest operating rack I have seen or owned. This is one skookum unit.

There are really only two drawbacks I could see at all (other than cost), it is not light at 48 lbs, and no built in security cables. To get this level of build quality, weight really can't be compromised. We had two of us sitting on it having a beer after a ride, makes a good seat. You can use a trailer hitch lock, but this only locks the wheels, but a good cable with fix all that.

I did another test this past weekend when getting set up to go camping. I had our 19 on one side of the drive, and the bike rack and two bikes on the other side, and timed myself on getting it all loaded up. 25 seconds to get and securely install the rack, 20 seconds to get and install the first bike, and 35 seconds to install the second bike, as I had to adjust the forward and backward to have seats avoid bars. 1 minute and 20 seconds, and it is still fairly new to me, that is fast.

You can easily add one or two more add-ons to the rack too. Plus, it folds in on itself to easily fit in a trunk or back of an SUV or truck.

Oh yeah, no bounce to the rack at all. The bikes seem to have a bit of forward to back play, but when they were only on the back of my Pilot a couple times, and watching in the rear view mirror, they never moved a bit.

1UPUSA.com :: Double Quik Rack Silver
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,824
Jim, have you used it on the back of your 19"
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Posts: 1,874
Cheese and crackers...
$529.00 for a bike rack?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,824
You can skip answering my question, too pricey for me.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Posts: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Returned my Swagman bike rack because I couldn't stop it from rubbing the paint down to bare metal as was mentioned here previously.
What paint and where?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
One of my biggest issues with the Swagman as well, they aren't that stable in transit either.

After now using my 1Up USA rack, and showing it to dozens of bike enthusiasts, I can with great certainty say it is by far the best built, and easiest operating rack I have seen or owned. This is one skookum unit.

There are really only two drawbacks I could see at all (other than cost), it is not light at 48 lbs, and no built in security cables. To get this level of build quality, weight really can't be compromised. We had two of us sitting on it having a beer after a ride, makes a good seat. You can use a trailer hitch lock, but this only locks the wheels, but a good cable with fix all that.

I did another test this past weekend when getting set up to go camping. I had our 19 on one side of the drive, and the bike rack and two bikes on the other side, and timed myself on getting it all loaded up. 25 seconds to get and securely install the rack, 20 seconds to get and install the first bike, and 35 seconds to install the second bike, as I had to adjust the forward and backward to have seats avoid bars. 1 minute and 20 seconds, and it is still fairly new to me, that is fast.

You can easily add one or two more add-ons to the rack too. Plus, it folds in on itself to easily fit in a trunk or back of an SUV or truck.

Oh yeah, no bounce to the rack at all. The bikes seem to have a bit of forward to back play, but when they were only on the back of my Pilot a couple times, and watching in the rear view mirror, they never moved a bit.

1UPUSA.com :: Double Quik Rack Silver
Jim, I would like to know if you've used it on your 19. I have a 5.0 TA on order, the only location for my bike will be the hitch on the trailer. I only need a single bike rack as my wife does not ride...

Thanks,
__________________

Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.