Bikes on the back? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
1Up rack is rated for RV use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The 1Up looks really bullet proof. Still they don't recommend it for RV use. Any experience on the back of trailer? I suspect it would be fine within reason.
I found out the heavy duty 1Up rack is OK for RV use. I sent an email asking about use on my 21' and they replied:

"Yes, but we only recommend putting up to 2 bikes on the RV."

I think I was confused with Kuat who I believe does not say they are OK.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:09 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19'
One more thumbs up on folding bikes.
Our 3 spd. steel frame folding Dahons work very well for us when we flee to Florida along with other snowbirds. We 70 year olds frequently ride ten miles on them there. Florida is flat. Would we ride them here on Michigan's hilly roads on as regular a basis? No!
Consider: terrain, bike's weight & gearing, rider's age and fitness.
Happy Trails!

Old 02-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The 1Up looks really bullet proof. Still they don't recommend it for RV use. Any experience on the back of trailer? I suspect it would be fine within reason.
I have had a 1Up rack for some time and while it is pricey, I think it is the best rack on the market. I used it on the back of my Scamp 19, and plan to use it on my 5.0TA. I am clueless as to why it would not be recommended for the back of an RV; to me there is no difference between an RV and any other vehicle with a receiver. Probably not recommended because a lawyer told them to do so. While it's mounting method is secure, it does not use a pin that goes through the receiver to hold it in place. And the company provides a strap to loop around the rack and the receiver, presumably as a back-up should the mounting method fail. I do not use the strap on the RV because I have devised a threaded rod which provides me more peace of mind than the strap for long trips. However, to use it on the 5.0TA, I had to request that the sewer hose carrier be mounted at least 6-inches forward of its normal location, rather than butted up to the front end of the bike rack receiver.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #34

1UP OK for trailers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I have had a 1Up rack for some time and while it is pricey, I think it is the best rack on the market. I used it on the back of my Scamp 19, and plan to use it on my 5.0TA. I am clueless as to why it would not be recommended for the back of an RV; to me there is no difference between an RV and any other vehicle with a receiver. Probably not recommended because a lawyer told them to do so. While it's mounting method is secure, it does not use a pin that goes through the receiver to hold it in place. And the company provides a strap to loop around the rack and the receiver, presumably as a back-up should the mounting method fail. I do not use the strap on the RV because I have devised a threaded rod which provides me more peace of mind than the strap for long trips. However, to use it on the 5.0TA, I had to request that the sewer hose carrier be mounted at least 6-inches forward of its normal location, rather than butted up to the front end of the bike rack receiver.
I was incorrect about 1Up not being RV rated. The heavy duty 2 bike is OK per their website. Kuat does not rate their rack for RV. I will be ordering a 1up soon.

Zig Ziglar
Old 02-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We love our Dahon folding bikes. However, they are the 26inch wheel models. When we first started out with our Casita we tried out folding bikes. I found the small wheels way too unstable for me (not Dave). At the time Dahon was one of the few companies making full size folding mountain bikes. They also have a good gear ratio and disk brakes. We carried them in the Casita - took up too much room. Carried them on the roof rack - worked for a few years but they got heavier every year! Now we carry them on a Swagman rack - never fold them - thousands of miles on the Casita and now the 21, no problems.
Good luck, have fun!
Kathie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bikes.jpg (159.2 KB, 51 views)
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #36

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Kathie, what model Swagman?
Old 02-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
This one: XC Hitch or Bumper Mount Rack - Swagman 64663 - Bike Racks - Camping World
Of course we use it as a hitch mount. And, to work well, you need a bike that the 'ratchet arm' can clamp down on. Keeps the bikes very steady. Dave puts a good kryptonite cable lock around them and covers the seats (we're in the rain a lot out here). We use the lock in camp also.
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
We love our Dahon folding bikes.
As much as I really didn't like riding the couple of folding bikes I tried, I have not tried a mountain bike one with 26" wheels. I bet that makes a huge difference. Plus, the ones I tried had fairly low level components, and if they were to use better components, that too would make a huge difference.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Mountain Equipment Coop currently has folding bike on sale ( $550 reg. $650 ).
Clearance : Bikes : Urban - Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC). Free Shipping Available.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 10.22.28 AM.png (38.9 KB, 223 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #40

Decision on my bikes...

OK. I have pretty much decided on going with 1up rack. I will put hybrid tires on my Ibex mountain bike. For my wife either a Electra Townie 7 speed with flat foot geometry or Giant Cypress W 24 speed. Both are $500 area. Electra you sit up bit more. Giant has front suspension and seat post suspension. Both are aluminum frame comfort bikes. They are sold out of reputable local shops. Once the weather clears I will have my wife try them out to see which she prefers. She liked the feel of the Townie at the bike shop.

If we get into awful weather (salt on the way to Florida) I will stick them inside the trailer. Meanwhile keeping an eye on Craig's List for bargains.

Zig Ziglar