Bikes on the back? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan View Post
the 1up is a pretty nice rack. A friend had one for a few years and was very impressed. Easy to load and holds bike pretty secure.
I love mine, it is so easy and quick to install and use. It is the envy of all my riding friends.

I mostly take a Specialized Rock Hopper too. This bike is many years old, and I don't worry about damage or theft. I have dual purpose tires, with a solid ridge in the middle for hard surfaces, and nubby sides for traction on trails. I adjust the pressure accordingly. On a lot of weekend trips, or any trip where I will be doing some dedicated trail riding, I take my Specialized FSR Comp Carbon 29'er. I keep it locked up when not using it, and it hasn't walked yet.

Dirt and other road grime is an issue if not on paved roads. I don't have a cover yet, but I plan on making one, or if I see a commercial one that I like for sale, I will grab that. I am getting a bit tired of washing my bike when not even using it, after a good ride washing is expected.

I have ridden a couple folding bikes, and they weren't too bad on flat smooth ground, but I definitely prefer a full bike. Mine you, paved travel only accounts for a small percentage of my saddle time, I MUCH prefer the thrill of mountain biking, at least while I am still young (57 is young, right?).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm amazed at what people nowadays spend on a bicycle. A neighbor up the street has one that cost almost $16,000.

For a motorcycle, maybe. For a bicycle? Um...no. There are plenty of well built bicycles for 90% less than that. Its not like he's an Olympic athlete who needs it. To each his own, I guess. 16k would sure pay a lot of camping fees, gas, propane and groceries.
Yes, and $80,000 would pay for even more, but there are lots of people driving $80,000 cars (and trucks). Of course the vast majority of riders would not get much more benefit from a $16,000 bike than from a $1,600 bike... just as most people get no more out of the expensive car than a reasonable one.

I think most of what people spend on discretionary purchases makes no sense, but it's their money to spend. My personal philosophy is that if I don't appreciate the benefits of the more expensive choice significantly, I don't buy it. To some people, impressing the neighbors or feeling superior is a big benefit, and as a result even if they followed by approach they might still buy ridiculously expensive stuff. They drive Porches and use no more of their cars' performance than would be available from a Mazda, so if they think the value is in the performance they've wasted their money, but if the value is just snobbery then it might be a good deal for them.

I ride a $200 bike. If I rode more, I would certainly be willing to spend several times as much. On the other hand, I would never appreciate the very best bike, so I'm certainly not willing to pay for it. So the (rhetorical) question for everyone is: what is worth to you, and why?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Do they make folding bike fairly comparable to the Specialized Rock Hopper Jim mentioned above? Trying to figure out the premium one pays for the folding aspect.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If anyone is interested in folding bikes I have a matched pair to sell- seen in Camping World, item #70090, single speed, ballon tires, coaster brake- On sale for $360, you can have both for $200 delivered if you live near the route to Osoyoos, BC or plan on attending. For some reason I can not open that link.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
My son, a bike mechanic was home for winter break and noticed damage to our bikes' wheels. No doubt it is from the bike rack. Am in the process of submitting a claim through Reese (Cequent). I would now not recommend the Highland Sport Wing. Am somewhat surprised by this as I bought it from Etrailer.com and specifically mentioned I needed an RV rated rack.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Experience with 1Up on their trailer?

The 1Up looks really bullet proof. Still they don't recommend it for RV use. Any experience on the back of trailer? I suspect it would be fine within reason.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:53 PM   #27

I have only used mine on the back of the trailer for two or three weekend trips this year, and it worked great. I did use it a lot on the pilot going out for day trips with the bikes. I can't see why it wouldn't work good on the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #28
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
My Swagman double worked great on a bounce-a-long Casita for years; it will ride much smoother on a 21 dual axle.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We're crazy about biking. We bring our bikes around with us using an older version of the Thule T2 along with the T2 918XR to mount 4 bikes on the rear. It has mostly worked well for us. Last summer the handlebar of one of our bikes went through the rear window of our Escape 21'. It only broke the outer pane, but not the inner pane of our double pane windows so it must have just barely touched the window. There's about 8" clearance between the end of the handlebar and the window so I never thought anything like that would be possible. However, there's a little flex in the rack's attachment to the hitch receiver on the trailer. Then the bikes can sway a little in the rack. Add it up and it was enough to break the window. A little costly but it's now fixed up like new. I like to mount the heaviest (which also happens to be the largest) bike closest to the vehicle to keep the centre of gravity closest to the hitch receiver. In the future, I'll mount a smaller bike with less wide handlebars closest to the trailer, then the largest, then the lighter two.

I mostly trust the locks on the rack (each bike is locked into the rack separately). We also use a lock to lock the rack to the receiver on the trailer. Like all locks, I imagine a determined thief could break them, but then again they could break into my garage/shed and steal the bikes from there too. I don't worry about the dirt/rain as we use quality mountain bikes with sealed bearings. The bikes get way dirtier after a mountain bike ride.

As for cheap vs. pricier, I'd definitely go for a bike better than the WalMart grade bike. There are some great bikes in the $500 - $1000 range. They ride so much nicer, the shifting and braking is so much more reliable and easy to adjust. The bearings will likely be sealed. The bike will be both significantly lighter and yet stronger. In fact, I'd far, far rather spend $250 on a used decent quality bike than $250 on a new bike if that were the limit on my budget. Beyond $1,000 there are real improvements to be had, but I'd say you better be both serious about your cycling and know what these benefits are and why you need them.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjod View Post
In fact, I'd far, far rather spend $250 on a used decent quality bike than $250 on a new bike if that were the limit on my budget.
This is very true. Lots of great deals on used if you watch. My road bike with purchase cost, and parts to make it pretty much like new, was about that cost, and this is a bike that sold for WAY more than that new 25 years ago. Great road ride.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #31

1Up rack is rated for RV use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The 1Up looks really bullet proof. Still they don't recommend it for RV use. Any experience on the back of trailer? I suspect it would be fine within reason.
I found out the heavy duty 1Up rack is OK for RV use. I sent an email asking about use on my 21' and they replied:

"Yes, but we only recommend putting up to 2 bikes on the RV."

I think I was confused with Kuat who I believe does not say they are OK.

Zig Ziglar
Old 02-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #32

Trailer: 2021 5.0
One more thumbs up on folding bikes.
Our 3 spd. steel frame folding Dahons work very well for us when we flee to Florida along with other snowbirds. We 70 year olds frequently ride ten miles on them there. Florida is flat. Would we ride them here on Michigan's hilly roads on as regular a basis? No!
Consider: terrain, bike's weight & gearing, rider's age and fitness.
Happy Trails!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:38 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I have had a 1Up rack for some time and while it is pricey, I think it is the best rack on the market. I used it on the back of my Scamp 19, and plan to use it on my 5.0TA. I am clueless as to why it would not be recommended for the back of an RV; to me there is no difference between an RV and any other vehicle with a receiver. Probably not recommended because a lawyer told them to do so. While it's mounting method is secure, it does not use a pin that goes through the receiver to hold it in place. And the company provides a strap to loop around the rack and the receiver, presumably as a back-up should the mounting method fail. I do not use the strap on the RV because I have devised a threaded rod which provides me more peace of mind than the strap for long trips. However, to use it on the 5.0TA, I had to request that the sewer hose carrier be mounted at least 6-inches forward of its normal location, rather than butted up to the front end of the bike rack receiver.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #34

1UP OK for trailers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I have had a 1Up rack for some time and while it is pricey, I think it is the best rack on the market. I used it on the back of my Scamp 19, and plan to use it on my 5.0TA. I am clueless as to why it would not be recommended for the back of an RV; to me there is no difference between an RV and any other vehicle with a receiver. Probably not recommended because a lawyer told them to do so. While it's mounting method is secure, it does not use a pin that goes through the receiver to hold it in place. And the company provides a strap to loop around the rack and the receiver, presumably as a back-up should the mounting method fail. I do not use the strap on the RV because I have devised a threaded rod which provides me more peace of mind than the strap for long trips. However, to use it on the 5.0TA, I had to request that the sewer hose carrier be mounted at least 6-inches forward of its normal location, rather than butted up to the front end of the bike rack receiver.
I was incorrect about 1Up not being RV rated. The heavy duty 2 bike is OK per their website. Kuat does not rate their rack for RV. I will be ordering a 1up soon.

Zig Ziglar
Old 02-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We love our Dahon folding bikes. However, they are the 26inch wheel models. When we first started out with our Casita we tried out folding bikes. I found the small wheels way too unstable for me (not Dave). At the time Dahon was one of the few companies making full size folding mountain bikes. They also have a good gear ratio and disk brakes. We carried them in the Casita - took up too much room. Carried them on the roof rack - worked for a few years but they got heavier every year! Now we carry them on a Swagman rack - never fold them - thousands of miles on the Casita and now the 21, no problems.
Good luck, have fun!
Kathie
Attached Thumbnails
Bikes.jpg  
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Kathie, what model Swagman?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
This one: XC Hitch or Bumper Mount Rack - Swagman 64663 - Bike Racks - Camping World
Of course we use it as a hitch mount. And, to work well, you need a bike that the 'ratchet arm' can clamp down on. Keeps the bikes very steady. Dave puts a good kryptonite cable lock around them and covers the seats (we're in the rain a lot out here). We use the lock in camp also.
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
We love our Dahon folding bikes.
As much as I really didn't like riding the couple of folding bikes I tried, I have not tried a mountain bike one with 26" wheels. I bet that makes a huge difference. Plus, the ones I tried had fairly low level components, and if they were to use better components, that too would make a huge difference.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Mountain Equipment Coop currently has folding bike on sale ( $550 reg. $650 ).
Clearance : Bikes : Urban - Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC). Free Shipping Available.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #40

Decision on my bikes...

OK. I have pretty much decided on going with 1up rack. I will put hybrid tires on my Ibex mountain bike. For my wife either a Electra Townie 7 speed with flat foot geometry or Giant Cypress W 24 speed. Both are $500 area. Electra you sit up bit more. Giant has front suspension and seat post suspension. Both are aluminum frame comfort bikes. They are sold out of reputable local shops. Once the weather clears I will have my wife try them out to see which she prefers. She liked the feel of the Townie at the bike shop.

If we get into awful weather (salt on the way to Florida) I will stick them inside the trailer. Meanwhile keeping an eye on Craig's List for bargains.

Zig Ziglar