Binding bathroom window - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape
Binding bathroom window

Has anyone sucessfully adjusted the operating bathroom window ?
To Escape:
The bathroom window does not close completely unless you push it from outside on the left bottom side or turn the closing knob harder then I want to. It makes a snap noise (binding ?) when it does completely close. Looking at the open window from the outside it appears that the bottom left corner of the window is shifted (angled) to the left side. I do not see a way to adjust it. Please advise.
Resonse:
I have talked to Hehr regarding this issue as it is common and they have said due to the small size of the window, that is how they come. In some cases, we have to adjust the window frame by tapping where necessary with a block and hammer. Let me know if this is something that might solve the binding.
Reace

Not quite sure where to tap on the window.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The frames are fairly malleable, and I would assume that he is suggesting tapping it wider to give tolerance to where it is catching. Do you have any pictures of the offending spot on the window?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #3

I will try to find and photograph a contact point. It appears that the opening window itself is askew. The lower left bottom corner appears shifted off center.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Maybe put a square on the window to see how the sides and top square up. There is some straight on them I assume. I don't have a small opening window.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
I had to replace bottom kitchen window after delivery. This is the same window. Rather than tap or bend I marked where hitting and used a round file to enlarge corner areas. Result, a perfect fit. Did not take much filing. It is also flush outside.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #6

The operating bathroom window is smaller that the operating kitchen window but seems to have the same design.
I do not believe hammering or grinding will solve this problem. When viewing the open window from the outside the lower left corner is shifted to the left. It does not appear that the frame is the problem. I appears that the hinge on the right (viewed from the outside) is fastened lower than the left hinge resulting in the bottom of the window shifting to the left when opened. The attached picture was taken as close as possible to a right angle to the window.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0567.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Our kitchen window over the sink, does the same thing- you have to push the left corner for it to close properly, looks like a design flaw that many have.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #8

The kitchen and bath window are designed the same. They do not have a true hinge but just two interlocking pieces of metal, one from the opening part and the other on the fixed, like locking the fingers of your left hand with your right. I have included a picture below. Since they are all continuous there isn't a way for one to be mounted lower. What may be happening is that one is bent. The two screws on the outside only keep the window from sliding left or right. On the inside remove snap rings that hold actuator arms in place and take actuator arms off of the window studs. (A snap ring tool is REALLY helpful for removing and reinstalling.) On the outside, remove two screws and lift outside window all of the way up and then it will disconnect from the fixed panel. You will now be able to see if one or the other of the interlocking pieces is bent enough to be causing your problem. Since it is aluminum, it is easily bent. You may also find that the two interlocking pieces were not connected all of the way along their full length. I still found after doing this that my window was simply binding in the two lower corners and filing solved the problem. Hope my experience with this type of window helps or at least gives you some ideas of what to look for.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1994.jpg   IMG_1995.jpg   IMG_1996.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #9

Update, decided to add two pictures. One is a picture of the snap ring that needs to be removed. The actuator arm slides off the stud once that is removed. The little stud is permanently attached to the lower window. No need to mess with the springs. The second is of the filing that I did in the corners. You can do this with a small round file or a Dremel tool. The aluminum is soft so removes quickly. I did this with the window ON. I closed the window to see where it was binding, marked it with chalk, and then filed in that area. You can see in the picture the shiny portion of the window and that the frame is larger in that area now. I would bet most of the binding others are experiencing are in the two lower corners. This is where Escape has bent the corners of the "window" portion in with block and hammer. I think the removal of material in the frame is a more "elegant" solution. Oh, and the flaw is not in the window design. It comes from trying to put a flat window in a curved side. Unlike the back areas of the Escape where there is a flat area in the shell for windows, these extra windows are going in an area where there is most likely a curve front to back as well as top to bottom hence the distortion.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1998.jpg   IMG_2001.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #10

Tim
Thank you for the detailed information. Now for some informed investigation.
Jubal