black plastic external panel fasteners? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
black plastic external panel fasteners?

have new 2018 Escape 21 and 1st thing the little black plastic panel fasteners attaching the refrigerator vent to the outside broke. I used a drywall anchor screw to attach, and plan to install auto 1/4-20 U-type speed nuts as retainer.

appears the replacement plastic OEM fasteners are hard to find and probably very expensive. just wondering what others are doing, if anything.
Attached Images

CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've seen the exact same thing as you show at Napa Auto, in metal, if the size is right.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I open and close mine a lot for the Texas fan switch, and have been dreading the day when those little soft plastic fasteners wear out. Short-term I figure some sort of car body fasteners will do, like maybe the plastic rivets. Or zipties in a pinch.

Long-term, looks like you might be able to get direct replacements at Camping World for a fairly sane price: https://www.campingworld.com/frig-conveter-latch
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
On Prairie Schooner there were maybe 4 unused tabs behind the panel, I drilled a hole thru the cover and screwed in a sheet metal screw that bit into a plastic tab. I inserted a tiny rubber washer on the exterior screw head. Worked fine for 18 months until the new owner took over and is still working, I'm told. I'll have to wait until possession of the new style cover to make an assessment of adding additional security. I will note that an internal switch for the Texas fan will be a priority to eliminate the need to open the door needlessly and save wear and tear on the plastic components.