Black tank rinsing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I wonder if a lighting system could be installed on the inside of a black tank. You folks that want a crystal clean black tank can open the flush valve and get a good look at the inside when ever you want.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #22

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Lastly, I pretty much have given up on the tank indicators - they rarely read correctly, even after a rinse.
Is this common? Just curious.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Is this common? Just curious.
Yes, very common.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have yet to have any issues with either of my Escape's sensors, just using the proper tissue and some cleanser.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Jon,
On the tornado did you use a city water hose hook up with a check valve or a gravity hose hookup.

Thanks

Dave
City Water & check valve. It takes enough pressure to spin the head that I doubt gravity feed would make it work...

As to the tank indicators, while some state they always work OK, more have problems with them...
Old 06-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Dave1,
I think the most important aspect that some members are missing here as to when and why you should keep your tanks clean and empty is ambient temperature. Living and I presume camping in New Mexico heat will require more sanitary conditions. That is unless you want the campground to yourself. I even flush, add odorant, and cap my dump hose after each use. And by keeping your tanks emptied, you lessen tow weight and save fuel.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
City Water & check valve. It takes enough pressure to spin the head that I doubt gravity feed would make it work...

As to the tank indicators, while some state they always work OK, more have problems with them...
Jon,

Thanks for the reply. Yes gravity feed would not work, I meant to ask if you used a hose hook up with or without a ck valve, which you answered.

Thanks

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Dave1,
I think the most important aspect that some members are missing here as to when and why you should keep your tanks clean and empty is ambient temperature. Living and I presume camping in New Mexico heat will require more sanitary conditions. That is unless you want the campground to yourself. I even flush, add odorant, and cap my dump hose after each use. And by keeping your tanks emptied, you lessen tow weight and save fuel.
David,

I couldn't agree more. After watching the video posted it is amazing how much is left after flushing. I'm trying to find a dumping procedure that will get the tanks clean enough to not clog, smell, and be somewhat sanitary. . So far I'm of the mind that a good tank chemical combined with at least a half full tank combined with some travel to mix it up before dumping. After the dump does one fill and flush, use a wand, or install a tank flusher. etc. I'm leaning toward an installed tank flusher, however the shape of the 19 gal tank isn't square, so I wonder how effective it would be. Maybe a hose connect installed in the bath and a wand is the answer.

Dave
Old 06-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
This video (25 minutes) might be of interest if you are in the market for a rinser of some sort, he just posted this today. I know it'll be hard but try and not be too critical and take it for what it's worth.

Testing Tank Flushing Systems in the Clear RV Black Tank!
Thanks for posting this site. The video was entertaining at least and had some good conclusions. Will be interesting to see what tank chemicals will do to overall breakdown/removal of solids. Wonder what he will choose for "solids"?
The escape 19 gal tank, in the 19 trailer, is not square, has a bottom exit and a couple elbows.
Looking around the site was fun, he sure has a lot of energy! Good site I've saved it for future entertainment.

Dave
Old 06-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Dave1, you might watch the 1st one they did, it describes the ingredients. He got so much positive feedback that he made the 2nd one linked to above.

Inside the RV Black Tank: Testing the Sewer Solution
Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I'll add a bunch of ice cubes, take a ride, then see if everything came out ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Rid-x.jpg  
Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Dave1, you might watch the 1st one they did, it describes the ingredients. He got so much positive feedback that he made the 2nd one linked to above.

Inside the RV Black Tank: Testing the Sewer Solution
Bob,
Had watched this one also. It was interesting how much the elbows he added in the second test effected the back flush ability of units tested. Seems like the sewer solution would be a good home unit, and you could get a good cleaning.
Thanks again for taking the time to post these.
Dave
Old 06-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #33

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Great video, the guy had fun. I think an RV would have a higher solid percentage than what the sanitation lab folks suggested when the tank was first dumped but that is not to discount the great job he did.
I have the luxury of a very rarely used dump facility 2 miles from home so I can take my time when I clean the tanks, I don't clean them when folks are behind me in line.
I made an exterior monitor system so I can keep track of water level so I don't have to worry about over filling the tank.
A great thing about wands is you can clean the throat area of toilet and the pipe to the black tank, if you ever have to remove the toilet I think you'll be glad it was cleaned.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I'll add a bunch of ice cubes, take a ride, then see if everything came out ok.
Ice Cubes did i miss something?
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
Great video, the guy had fun. I think an RV would have a higher solid percentage than what the sanitation lab folks suggested when the tank was first dumped but that is not to discount the great job he did.
I have the luxury of a very rarely used dump facility 2 miles from home so I can take my time when I clean the tanks, I don't clean them when folks are behind me in line.
I made an exterior monitor system so I can keep track of water level so I don't have to worry about over filling the tank.
A great thing about wands is you can clean the throat area of toilet and the pipe to the black tank, if you ever have to remove the toilet I think you'll be glad it was cleaned.
The Tornado folk should pay that guy, now how badly do I want to dig into the under carriage Insulating foam to to do the install ...
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The ice cubes act like the grains of sand in those hand cleaners that scrub your hands clean. like the sand, the ice will scrub your sensors and then melt.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The ice cubes act like the grains of sand in those hand cleaners that scrub your hands clean. like the sand, the ice will scrub your sensors and then melt.
And it allows the bacteria to play hockey.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Re: ice cubes... : When on the road in the tank they will fly around at will, hopefully scouring as they go. Solid, benign, yet having a true lifespan shorter than a pupae.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #39

Trailer: Working on my build list
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
The Tornado folk should pay that guy, now how badly do I want to dig into the under carriage Insulating foam to to do the install ...
I agree, that's a convincing demonstration. It also explains tank monitor problems better than anything I've seen before. Can the foam be repaired after being dug into?
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote