Black tank rinsing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Black tank rinsing

Being new to holding tanks and dumping, how often should one rinse the tanks after dumping and how? I see there are several methods for rinsing from wands, to flush kings, to permanently installed rinsers like the camco tornado. What is your preferred method of rinising and how often do you rinse? Given the odd shape of the 19 gal black tank how effective would a permanently installed rinser be?

Thanks

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
It does get a little "aromatic" if not rinsed occasionally. I rinse it out at the end of every trip. After a year, we decided to fill it with hot bleach water and let it stand for awhile then drain. Happy campers now!

I'm sure others will post who have much more expertise on this subject.
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've rinsed my black tank, using the wand, maybe three times in six years. Usually done only because the sensors are giving a bad reading.
I add some tank deodorant after each dump.
I see no reason, otherwise, to keep the inside of the black tank "clean".
Main thing is not to empty it until it is almost full. Never hook up to the septic and leave the valve open for the duration of a stay. That allows liquids to drain and solids to settle in the bottom of the tank.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Used wand every so once in awhile also. I agree with letting it "fill up" before dumping. If you use the right TP you shouldn't have a problem of crud on the side walls. We used potty totties and had no smell at all!

We probably used more water than most on the toilet flush!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I clean it out to some extent at the end of the season. Amounts to... If convenient the last camp out of the season is at a full service site so I can fill and flush the tanks a couple times before heading home, we have no special cleaning gadgets. At home using a hose on the inside of the camper shooting down the hole, empty via bucket, with the valve open and a 5 gallon bucket under the pipe, blast with the hose from the outside. Repeat a few times. 8 seasons with no problems, non Escape trailer.
I dump at the end of every trip filling it as much as practical before so, dump 5 gallon pail of clean water down the toilet, open the valve to drain again. Add 2 gallons or so of clean water and Aqua-Kem additive although I may try the GEO method with the Escape when I run out of the Aqua-Kem. I have tried some of the cheaper orange stuff sold at WM, the black tank started to stink so we went back to the A-K.
I just picked up a Flush King but haven't tried it yet.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think I tried the GEO thing once.
Spent way too much money on a container of Calgonite. All in all, too much hassle. I'd rather buy a product that some company makes after investing thousands or hundreds of thousands in research and development.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
In warm weather, I dump, rinse, and deodorize each time on my way out of the campground or RV park. If you don't, your potty will stink. No woman wants her very own outhouse. You can do forum search on past discussions.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
We use the GEO method and haven't had trouble, but we empty it after each trip and then put some water softener and soap in with a little water. I totally misread this thread title as "Black Tank Rising" which had me giggling
Old 06-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
This video (25 minutes) might be of interest if you are in the market for a rinser of some sort, he just posted this today. I know it'll be hard but try and not be too critical and take it for what it's worth.

Testing Tank Flushing Systems in the Clear RV Black Tank!
Old 06-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
I use a flush king with 6 or so fill and flushes every trip then quarter fill with detergent and water for the ride home and dump that at home. A quick wand rinse cleans out the tank. It is a lot more than others perhaps but my attitude is the trailer doesn't have room for stink. I put 3 or 4 flushes through the grey tank as well and after 8 years my tanks are still like new.
I understand if others don't do the same, it takes some time but I think it is worth it.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I added a rinse system to both my black & gray tanks. I usually use the rinse system every 3-4 dumps, however it only works if I have a threaded water source. I don't use a tank additive. Lastly, I pretty much have given up on the tank indicators - they rarely read correctly, even after a rinse.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 15B
Which rinse system did you choose, Jon?
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have the Tornado system waiting to be installed, for well over a year now. Someday, maybe.

I have actually never rinsed my tanks in 5 years, and all seems well, the monitor seems to record the levels fine too. We do use a good tank deodorizer/treatment, and with doing so don't have any issue with odours. We actually started using one most of the time with the grey tank too, as we noticed odours coming from the vent by the door.

I do try to dump after driving a bit, so things are loosened up in the tank.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We try to restrict ourselves as much as possible to using the Escape toilet for liquid waste rather than both solid and liquid. That means using campground facilities when they are available. I find that following this practice makes it so much easier to keep the tanks clean and to manage odors. Of course, when you gotta go, you gotta go; so there are always exceptions, boondocking being one good example.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have the Tornado in the black & a simple spray in the gray. I also use Dave's technique when possible...
Old 06-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I have the Tornado in the black & a simple spray in the gray. I also use Dave's technique when possible...
Jon,
On the tornado did you use a city water hose hook up with a check valve or a gravity hose hookup.

Thanks

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I have heard of the trick of dumping a bag of ice cubes in the black tank before heading down the road. The resulting agitation helps to clean the tanks. It is a real pain in the butt to fish out those ice cubes though!
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I have heard of the trick of dumping a bag of ice cubes in the black tank before heading down the road. The resulting agitation helps to clean the tanks. It is a real pain in the butt to fish out those ice cubes though!
The ice cubes are easier to retrieve it you first remove them from the plastic bag!
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKzookeeper View Post
The ice cubes are easier to retrieve it you first remove them from the plastic bag!
This forum is so helpful!
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKzookeeper View Post
You could use the "ice cube dispenser" located just in front of the wheels on the underside of the Escape. Just put your cup next to the outlet and open the valve.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote