Blackwoods Campground - Acadia NP - Maine - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 1721
Blackwoods Campground - Acadia NP - Maine

Has anyone stayed at Blackwoods Campground in a 21? I ask because the trailer sites I'd prefer list a 20' length. When I look at pictures of the sites on Campsite Photo's, I can easily get into them. I hear they have lines in the street at the ranger station, but am not sure if they would turn me away.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
I typically say 20 ft in the reservation setup, and have not been questioned at other parks
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Some trailers are measured from the front of the hitch to the back bumper of the trailer others only measure the actual length of the trailer body . ( A 24 ft Forest River trailer is 27 ft from the ball to the bumper)

So it depends on how the campgrounds measure 20 ft. ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #4

Trailer: looking for another great egg
Sorry this doesn't answer you question.......Not sure where Blackwoods Campground is in MA, however we camped at Mt Desert Campground (private)two summers ago after kids where back in school and it was absolutely wonderful. Several loops of campground roads, CLEAN showers and toilets. We have a 17' FG egg (another brand) and had no problems backing into our site nor probably any of their other sites. Hilly, lots of trees and pretty nice screening between campsites.

If in a pinch I would camp there again.
jon
Kanoer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have stayed at Blackwoods in a 21 ft Escape. It was a challenge. Took at least an hour to position the trailer. We were never able to stay on the driveway as there was too much slope to level. Fortunately our site had a level area near the picnic table that we were able to back into and get level. Length of the trailer had no relevance to the sites near us, they were all on a slippery slope.

While positioning the trailer a Sprinter van pulled into the site next to us. There was not a chance they were going to get level and they drove off. They would not have been able to find a level spot as we had on our site.

All that said, there are level spots. We were walkins and were never asked if we would fit, just glad to get a site though we had to vacate by the third night due to an incoming reservation.

For walkins they have a number of handicapped sites that open at 6:00 pm, they are only one night. The next morning you have to stand in line and hope for an opening. It appears they are mostly reserved sites.

We camped mid September.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #6

Thanks for info. I've never really thought twice about length, but then again most public parks allow for longer trailers than Escapes. My concern was that if they have painted lines at the checkin, then that tells me they at least look. I'll list the max and be prepared for the extra time for leveling. Just thought I would ask since its a 1K+ mile trip to get there. We're planning on arriving in mid September. Appreciate the tips.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:59 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We had a memorable trip to Acadia several years ago, stayed at the KOA on the "island" and had an ocean front site. There was a guy there with a shelter set up selling lobster. His name was Clayton and delivered a cooked lobster dinner with sides to your Escape. What a memory, eating Maine lobster, freshly coked looking out over the water. Also recommend you driving through Adirondacks in New York on your way up or back to catch the fall foilage.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
We stayed in Blackwood this summer and I told a white lie, stating my trailer was a 20’ instead of a 21’. We had no problem parking on our site. No one questioned it.
Just to be clear, the decals on our Escape do not show the number “21” on it.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:05 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is why I called my 21, Escape BlackJack, not that I gamble but I did not want the #21 on the trailer and I had a beloved black Lab, named BlackJack whom had passed and I wanted to memorialize.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
We stayed in Blackwood this summer and I told a white lie, stating my trailer was a 20’ instead of a 21’. We had no problem parking on our site. No one questioned it.

Fred M.
Wait...... I just figured it out..... I have been wondering what length I can camp with the 5.0 my wife and I have ordered...... and now I see .... I just tell em 5.0 ft!!!!!!

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We climbed all over Cadillac "mountain" one fine day, and it snowed and the park ranger began scooting everyone out before the road became too treacherous.

Oops... that reminds me... this was way before we got our Escape. Never mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Cadlac9Aescape.jpg  
Old 12-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
We stayed in Blackwoods a few years ago with our 19 ft scamp...the sites are plenty bid just have enough leveling materials and be creative. If you are planning on going in the summer MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW!!! You may find sites but will have to move probably nightly and waste a lot of time in line...very busy park in the summer and don't expect private sites they pack you right in. That being said we had a great trip and would go back in a heartbeat.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I'll be going this August...our group has the date for reservations at the ready!
Old 12-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
Has anyone stayed at Blackwoods Campground in a 21? I ask because the trailer sites I'd prefer list a 20' length. When I look at pictures of the sites on Campsite Photo's, I can easily get into them. I hear they have lines in the street at the ranger station, but am not sure if they would turn me away.
Unless things have changed since 2016, you don't get to pick your site even with a reservation. We had reservations for three sites (a Escape 17, a tent, & a Scamp 16), and wanted to get sites next to each other. We arrived at 11:00AM, hoping that would give us more choices for sites. Instead, we were told that we would have sites assigned, but not until 12:00. Since the tent reservation was made on a separate credit card, it was not adjacent to our trailer sites, which were next to each other only because they were reserved at the same time by the same person.

We had to leave the park, and reenter at noon. Not the friendliest entrance station I've visited in a National Park, but it was the end of July. There may be lines to measure trailer length, but I never noticed them. Both trailer sites (32 & 33) would have fit a 21 as long as you parked the tow vehicle separately, and did not require anything more than an Anderson for leveling.

Some photos of our sites here.

By the way, there is a state park across the bay (Lamoine State Park). Dry camping, and more expensive, but calmer and they have showers, and you can have a lobster dinner (cooked or not) delivered to your campsite:
Attached Thumbnails
_JRV2478.jpg  
Old 12-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

Fred M.
We don't have any graphics on our Escape, so fortunately I'm good on that front.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Unless things have changed since 2016, you don't get to pick your site even with a reservation.
Thanks for the pics! Looks like a good time was had by all.

It appears they have moved to site specific. When I click on a site, it doesn't highlight a group like I've seen at other campgrounds. A calendar reminder is set for early March for booking. Never been to Maine, so we're looking forward to the adventure.