Blackwoods Campground - Acadia NP - Maine - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 1721
Blackwoods Campground - Acadia NP - Maine

Has anyone stayed at Blackwoods Campground in a 21? I ask because the trailer sites I'd prefer list a 20' length. When I look at pictures of the sites on Campsite Photo's, I can easily get into them. I hear they have lines in the street at the ranger station, but am not sure if they would turn me away.

rotateclockwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 ft
I typically say 20 ft in the reservation setup, and have not been questioned at other parks

TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #3

Trailer: None
Some trailers are measured from the front of the hitch to the back bumper of the trailer others only measure the actual length of the trailer body . ( A 24 ft Forest River trailer is 27 ft from the ball to the bumper)

So it depends on how the campgrounds measure 20 ft. ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #4

Trailer: looking for another great egg
Sorry this doesn't answer you question.......Not sure where Blackwoods Campground is in MA, however we camped at Mt Desert Campground (private)two summers ago after kids where back in school and it was absolutely wonderful. Several loops of campground roads, CLEAN showers and toilets. We have a 17' FG egg (another brand) and had no problems backing into our site nor probably any of their other sites. Hilly, lots of trees and pretty nice screening between campsites.

If in a pinch I would camp there again.
jon
Kanoer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have stayed at Blackwoods in a 21 ft Escape. It was a challenge. Took at least an hour to position the trailer. We were never able to stay on the driveway as there was too much slope to level. Fortunately our site had a level area near the picnic table that we were able to back into and get level. Length of the trailer had no relevance to the sites near us, they were all on a slippery slope.

While positioning the trailer a Sprinter van pulled into the site next to us. There was not a chance they were going to get level and they drove off. They would not have been able to find a level spot as we had on our site.

All that said, there are level spots. We were walkins and were never asked if we would fit, just glad to get a site though we had to vacate by the third night due to an incoming reservation.

For walkins they have a number of handicapped sites that open at 6:00 pm, they are only one night. The next morning you have to stand in line and hope for an opening. It appears they are mostly reserved sites.

We camped mid September.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 1721
Thanks for info. I've never really thought twice about length, but then again most public parks allow for longer trailers than Escapes. My concern was that if they have painted lines at the checkin, then that tells me they at least look. I'll list the max and be prepared for the extra time for leveling. Just thought I would ask since its a 1K+ mile trip to get there. We're planning on arriving in mid September. Appreciate the tips.
rotateclockwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:59 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
We had a memorable trip to Acadia several years ago, stayed at the KOA on the "island" and had an ocean front site. There was a guy there with a shelter set up selling lobster. His name was Clayton and delivered a cooked lobster dinner with sides to your Escape. What a memory, eating Maine lobster, freshly coked looking out over the water. Also recommend you driving through Adirondacks in New York on your way up or back to catch the fall foilage.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Casita SD (Sold) 2017 21' Escape on Jan. 16th
We stayed in Blackwood this summer and I told a white lie, stating my trailer was a 20’ instead of a 21’. We had no problem parking on our site. No one questioned it.
Just to be clear, the decals on our Escape do not show the number “21” on it.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
That is why I called my 21, Escape BlackJack, not that I gamble but I did not want the #21 on the trailer and I had a beloved black Lab, named BlackJack whom had passed and I wanted to memorialize.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #10

Trailer: Future 2018 5.0TA Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
We stayed in Blackwood this summer and I told a white lie, stating my trailer was a 20’ instead of a 21’. We had no problem parking on our site. No one questioned it.
Just to be clear, the decals on our Escape do not show the number “21” on it.

Fred M.
Wait...... I just figured it out..... I have been wondering what length I can camp with the 5.0 my wife and I have ordered...... and now I see .... I just tell em 5.0 ft!!!!!!

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote