Blocking light for sleeping - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Karin:

If you go to my previous post

The Dark Side aka Curtains

you will find further details regarding my curtain installation.

The curtains I used are designed to look pinch pleated - they actually have hidden loops on the back that are hung on the rod. Much easier to move back and forth than rod pocket curtains. I originally planned to use pinch pleat curtains on runners because they move so smoothly. Unfortunately, they're not very popular today because of today's contemporary decors. Sears offers them in their catalogue still but they looked to heavy for what I wanted.

LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Well, I just did a mod to block the light from the accordion type blinds.

I bought some black fleece and cut to the size of the windows--being fleece it didn't need hemming.

Tried using Velcro strips and attach to the top metal part of the blinds as well as the bottom. Could not sew the Velcro on the fleece because of the glue--even by hand was a royal pain. Doug suggested staples-yup worked fantastic..

But then the Velcro would not stay on the metal (I had heard the heat may make it come off) so ended up ripping it all off and just bought some plastic clothes pins from camping world and use 4 on each window. I did need small Velcro squares in the middle top of the windows so they wouldn't sag. I bought a better brand of Velcro squares...

Easy to put up and take off and made it quite a bit darker--more cozy and I can sleep better in the mornings. The material is small enough so that it just stays under a pillow in the daytime..

What made me want this was being in an RV place with bright lights and being at a reunion where someone's porch light was right outside our window. And WalMart has darn bright lights in their parking lots!!!

So far so good.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
We have the 5.0 and really only needed to darken the loft windows. I did a modified version of what I had done in our Scamp. In this case, no fasteners were needed. I just cut Reflectix to fit behind the pleated blinds in the loft windows. I made the Reflectix a little wider than the window so they just tuck in behind the pleated shades and rest on the 'knobs' that secure the bottom of the shades. We often leave them in place during the day for heat/cold insulation since there is lots of light from the emergency hatch. I also put up a tension rod at the bottom of the bed and hung curtains so that a late sleeper would not be disturbed by someone up and about in the other end of the trailer....
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We thought of using it and even bought a roll from Camping World but weren't sure how it would actually stay in place...

And I already had the fleece bought and cut...