Blocking light for sleeping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Blocking light for sleeping

What are folks doing to block outside light for sleeping?

We are purchasing a used 5.0 which has the pleated shades - which I like. However, we know from previous experience that sometimes campsites have lights on at night, etc.
In our current Scamp, I made panels out of Reflectix to attach to the windows for both light blocking and insulation. But we had curtains, not shades. I suppose I could do the same thing but wondered if other Escape owners had any ideas?

Thanks!
Fran & Dave
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Welcome Fran & Dave,

If you want to block light for sleeping, you might think about installing a curtain rod & curtain at the foot of the loft bed. Will block outside and inside light. It will also add privacy and hide an un-made bed.
Also install a panel made of matching material held by Velcro to block out daylight and street lights.
The small tinted widows and pleated shades will do the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape 5.0 Modifications 014.jpg  
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #3

Thanks - The curtain is a good idea...and hiding the unmade bed is handy too!
Do you find it prevents heat from making it to the bedroom when you run the furnace?

Cozy bedroom!!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Getting heat and air to bedroom doesn't seem to be an issue. Up to this point, we have use this trailer 99% of the time @ temps above 40 degrees. We also have the extra factory insulation and thermo windows which helps with noise and temps.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
...and hide an un-made bed.
An unmade bed?

Reminds me of my grandkids!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Close my eyes, and sleep when it is dark out.
Well, it does work for me. Must have thick eyelids or sumpin'.

I know some that are bothered by light use those soft cloth eye cover things. Would that be an option?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
A couple Rum and Cokes ought to do the trick.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post

We are purchasing a used 5.0 which has the pleated shades - which I like. However, we know from previous experience that sometimes campsites have lights on at night, etc.
In our current Scamp, I made panels out of Reflectix to attach to the windows for both light blocking and insulation. But we had curtains, not shades. I suppose I could do the same thing but wondered if other Escape owners had any ideas?

Thanks!
Fran & Dave
I made blackout drape panels for our Escape. My husband can sleep through anything but I prefer the dark side...

I bought lightweight blackout drapery panels and just cut and hemmed them the size I wanted. My track is mounted underneath the cabinetry. They are only used for sleeping purposes - normally they stay drawn together in the corners. They work well and I think they look nice too!
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2563.jpg   IMGP2558.jpg  
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #9

Got some good ideas (not really a rum & coke person but wine would do...) We'll probably try the drape at the foot of the bed. One of us likes to get up earlier thanthe other so that would come in handy. The curtains look very nice...might have to look into that once we actually have the trailer home!
Thanks!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 17B
LBaranyai...yes indeed your curtains look great. It looks like you are using an ordinary rod to hold the rod pocket curtains but I'm wondering what is holding the rods? What sort of bracket is it and are the brackets attached to the underside of the cabinets? I'm hoping this isn't the dumbest question ever, but I don't have much experience with curtains and rods and such.
Thanks,
Karin
kheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Karin:

If you go to my previous post

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ains-2307.html

you will find further details regarding my curtain installation.

The curtains I used are designed to look pinch pleated - they actually have hidden loops on the back that are hung on the rod. Much easier to move back and forth than rod pocket curtains. I originally planned to use pinch pleat curtains on runners because they move so smoothly. Unfortunately, they're not very popular today because of today's contemporary decors. Sears offers them in their catalogue still but they looked to heavy for what I wanted.
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Well, I just did a mod to block the light from the accordion type blinds.

I bought some black fleece and cut to the size of the windows--being fleece it didn't need hemming.

Tried using Velcro strips and attach to the top metal part of the blinds as well as the bottom. Could not sew the Velcro on the fleece because of the glue--even by hand was a royal pain. Doug suggested staples-yup worked fantastic..

But then the Velcro would not stay on the metal (I had heard the heat may make it come off) so ended up ripping it all off and just bought some plastic clothes pins from camping world and use 4 on each window. I did need small Velcro squares in the middle top of the windows so they wouldn't sag. I bought a better brand of Velcro squares...

Easy to put up and take off and made it quite a bit darker--more cozy and I can sleep better in the mornings. The material is small enough so that it just stays under a pillow in the daytime..

What made me want this was being in an RV place with bright lights and being at a reunion where someone's porch light was right outside our window. And WalMart has darn bright lights in their parking lots!!!

So far so good.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #13

We have the 5.0 and really only needed to darken the loft windows. I did a modified version of what I had done in our Scamp. In this case, no fasteners were needed. I just cut Reflectix to fit behind the pleated blinds in the loft windows. I made the Reflectix a little wider than the window so they just tuck in behind the pleated shades and rest on the 'knobs' that secure the bottom of the shades. We often leave them in place during the day for heat/cold insulation since there is lots of light from the emergency hatch. I also put up a tension rod at the bottom of the bed and hung curtains so that a late sleeper would not be disturbed by someone up and about in the other end of the trailer....
Sold both 7/22
Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We thought of using it and even bought a roll from Camping World but weren't sure how it would actually stay in place...

And I already had the fleece bought and cut...