Bluetooth problem with audio unit - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Bluetooth problem with audio unit

We opted for the ETI installed BOSS audio unit (BV6656B) in our 5.0TA. It is supposed to be bluetooth compatible, which includes the ability to connect with mobile devices like phones and laptops so audio sources can be broadcast to the speakers. Yesterday I was trying to do just that but could not get the unit to become discoverable (I have a lot of other BT devices that easily connect). In other words, it would not show up as a bluetooth device to either of our phones (iphone and android) or macbooks. I called up BOSS tech support and ran through the procedure with them but to no avail. In fact he told me I needed to have the unit replaced and to open a ticket to do that. So I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem or had some special procedure?

jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Another bluetooth issue thread

Here is another thread about bluetooth issues with BOSS audio system. Turned out to be a defective radio which ETI replaced under warranty.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:03 AM   #3

Thanks. I also contacted BOSS and have sent them the radio for repair/replacement. It must have been defective from the factory as we haven't used it at all.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I had the same issue with my brand new unit on our first camping trip this last week. The odd thing is that I knew it worked because I successfully connected my iPhone X to it at Orientation the week before. Reading the Boss manual it says it is discoverable when first turned on.

It was a pain but this is what worked for me.

I disconnected from shore power, then turned off the battery disconnect switch, effectively turning off all power to the Boss unit. Let everything sit for a minute or two, then turned the battery switch back on, reconnected shore power, waited for the EMS to cycle. I then opened the Bluetooth settings on my iPhone so I was ready and turned on the Boss radio. It showed up in my iPhone and connected.

After that I was able to connect the two units normally while camped. I haven’t tried to use the Boss radio since we retuned home. I will try again later today and report back.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #5

I actually tried to disconnect from shore power and then pulled the 12V fuse for it. Turned everything back on but still wasn't discoverable. Thanks anyway.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
We've also been having issues connecting Bluetooth with our Boss picked up Dec 6th. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I like the idea of completely powering it down (dead) to see if "toggling" the radio helps. I'll give it a try.

EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, bluetooth, stereo