Boss audio - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Boss audio

I'm having trouble hooking up the smart tv to the boss audio I bought cables but maybe they are wrong on the boss end what kind of cable do I need ? mine plug into the little round hole on the frount I'm thinking I should have a cable that goes into the computer looking hole instead? Sorry about the description I don't know the terminology for this stuff? Coaxial?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
What is the make model of TV and the model of your Boss unit?

Short answer if you are looking to have sound on speakers through your Boss Stereo. You want an audio out port on TV and audio in port on stereo. Cables will be based on what your connection options are on each unit.

If you are using AUX 3.5 mm input on Boss unit you will need to press Mode button and change to AUX.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I'm having trouble hooking up the smart tv to the boss audio I bought cables but maybe they are wrong on the boss end what kind of cable do I need ?
A copy of the manual is in the Files collection:
Boss Audio BV6654B
It's not a great manual, but if you compare it to your unit you can use the correct name for the port, which will be more clear.

It's not clear to me which way you are trying to make the audio signal go. Are you trying to play something in the Boss unit and see and hear it from the television, or is something else providing video and audio to the television and you want the Boss unit to play the sound through the Escape's speakers?

Quote:
mine plug into the little round hole on the frount I'm thinking I should have a cable that goes into the computer looking hole instead?
I suspect that you are wanting to use the front AUX jack, which is for audio input and uses a headphone-type connector. That will only work to put an audio signal into the Boss receiver, from a television or anything else which provides an audio signal. As Kent mentioned, if this is what you want to do you need to select AUX for the mode and make sure nothing is connected to the AUX inputs on the back of the Boss unit.

If by "computer looking hole" you mean the USB port... no. The manual's description is neither in English nor usable, but this port is likely to plug in a memory device containing music (MP3) or videos (MP4) for the Boss receiver to play.

In the version of the Boss receiver described by this manual (and you might have a different version), the only way to get audio out of the receiver to connect to a television is from the left and right audio output jacks on the back of the unit (shown on page 19 of the manual). In this manual, it shows them labelled as "Audio" and "FL" (left) and "FR"(right). In some Escapes, a cable is provided from these to an accessible panel, along with a video cable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:15 PM   #4

I am trying to play a DVD on the boss and see it hear it on the Panasonic tv.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #5

Quote:
I am trying to play a DVD on the boss and see it hear it on the Panasonic tv.
So you need audio output from the Boss system:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In the version of the Boss receiver described by this manual (and you might have a different version), the only way to get audio out of the receiver to connect to a television is from the left and right audio output jacks on the back of the unit (shown on page 19 of the manual). In this manual, it shows them labelled as "Audio" and "FL" (left) and "FR"(right). In some Escapes, a cable is provided from these to an accessible panel, along with a video cable.
If you already have video, you're already using a video cable (usually yellow) connected to one of the video output jacks on the back of the Boss unit. For audio, you need to connect to the similar-looking (but one red and one white) audio output jacks in the same area of the back of the Boss... or just let the Boss unit play the sound through the trailer's speakers.

If your video connection is using a jack in a panel provided by Escape and wired by Escape to the Boss unit, then that same panel should also have a set of audio jacks.

If you don't already have the video hooked up, then you need to connect all three (yellow for video, red for right audio, white for left audio).
Old 11-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #6

Actually I want to play a DVD and hear it on the boss speakers (this works) but it does not show on the tv connect to the tv. I'm sure someone has the boss and a tv and has hook them together to watch a DVD? I can't understand the boss manual and the only areas I can see to hook up the boss to the tv are the USB port and the head phone looking port on the front
Old 11-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #7

Is there a place to hook up on the back of the boss unit?
Old 11-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Actually I want to play a DVD and hear it on the boss speakers (this works) but it does not show on the tv connect to the tv.
So you don't need the audio connections, but you still need the video connection and don't have it yet. That's the cable (usually yellow) plugged into one of the "Video" jacks on the back (Video 1 or Video 2).

Quote:
I can't understand the boss manual and the only areas I can see to hook up the boss to the tv are the USB port and the head phone looking port on the front
The Boss manual is poor. Mostly it is useful as a labelled guide to the connectors and buttons.

There is no video output on the front of the Boss unit (if you have this model, or a similar one), so you must connect to the back.

Quote:
Is there a place to hook up on the back of the boss unit?
The illustration which I mentioned at the end of the manual shows the back-panel connections. Of course, you would need to be able to get to the back of the unit...

If you are lucky, Escape already plugged cables into the back and brought them out to a small panel for you to plug into. Unfortunately, as I recall from previous discussions this is not provided in all Escapes with the stereo/DVD player, perhaps dependent on whether you also have the separate TV/Cable Ready option.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #9

Karen showed her panel in another discussion:

David showed her similar panel in a later post of the same discussion:

The video connection in both cases is the yellow RCA jack (although Karen initially described it in that discussion as "audio" and corrected that later).

Kate, from that discussion, it appears that your 17' had a similar setup to Karen and David. The 5.0TA should be similar... if any connection was provided. Unfortunately, from Ray's report three months ago in that same discussion it appears that there is not likely anything provided by Escape:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B. View Post
I spoke to Escape Trailers today and was told that they no longer offer the DVD/tv connector (RCA jack) due to complications with running the wires. It was suggested that I remove the DVD player to get access to the rear of the machine for connecting the television. It did not really make sense to me. I have to take another look at the trailer to see if there is an easy way to pull the DVD player forward in the housing to see if there is access. It is frustrating in that I thought TV Ready meant that it would be easy to connect the tv to the DVD player. I admit that it was easy to connect the coax cable and the photos that people have shared with the coax, jack antenna switch and yellow video plug look pretty sweet. For some reason it appears that Escape has stopped doing that.
Personally, if I had to pull out the unit to get to the back of it to connect a video cable of an obsolete format, I would probably continue right to the recycling bin with the unit, and install something properly equipped for use in this century.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #10

Also, can you confirm the brand and model of the stereo/DVD player? There have been at least two other brands used (besides Boss), and the current options list shows a Jensen DV2011 rather than a Boss, and that Jensen has different connections which would work better.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:22 AM   #11

It's a boss and no connection panel like we had with the 17 but I was hoping it wouldn't be a big deal since the unit is right next to the tv it would have been a big issue for the 17 it's not near the tv. I guess I need to find the plug behind it and just leave the cord plugged in it could be run up through the cabinet through the wall to the tv eventually.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 AM   #12

I don't know why they stopped putting in the connection panel.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #13

Thanks for all the info I am bringing to understand what you have been trying to tell me now that I have taken the unit down and can see the back now I guess I need to buy a yellow connector.