Brake lock up - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I have noticed a difference in my braking action if the plug-in at the rear of the tow is dirty (I live on a 2 mile long dead end gravel road) so hosing out the connector on the tow the day before hooking up seems to cure the problem of grabby brakes.
Kinda like Reace's experience with brake controllers in that it would likely affect all tires instead of just one it would seem. That is not the case here. It is smoking one tire only.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
If he's referring to electric-over-hydraulic conversion, yes, it can be done. E-trailer has a write up and parts list on it:

Parts Needed to Add Electric Over Hydraulic Disc Brakes to a Trailer | etrailer.com

Old 07-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #23

Rob- I deleted because it sounded kinda negative, but you caught it with the quote. So yes, anything is possible I guess, but that link to the conversion makes it sound complicated-never mind the cost.

Am a little frustrated as it doesn't seem like this should be happening so soon, yet with everything made overseas we all know that QC is a concern. Will just have to muddle through this, but just want to make others aware that just because it is a new trailer doesn't mean your brakes are good from the factory. Escape does not inspect inside the drum for grease contamination or road test them(nor does any other OEM most likely) so one needs to remember this and do your own testing and breaking in the brakes- then adjust very soon after picking up a new trailer.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Kinda like Reace's experience with brake controllers in that it would likely affect all tires instead of just one it would seem. That is not the case here. It is smoking one tire only.
One tire I'd replace the magnetic parts or at least take them apart and clean them; might be sticky.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Rob- I deleted because it sounded kinda negative, but you caught it with the quote. So yes, anything is possible I guess, but that link to the conversion makes it sound complicated-never mind the cost.
No problem Ross. Took it out. I agree about the trouble installing such a system too.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
One tire I'd replace the magnetic parts or at least take them apart and clean them; might be sticky.
Since many have not read this thread let me remind all that the complete backing plate which includes magnets, armature & brake shoes(at least) is $38. To change out just one item factoring in the labor will most likely cost more than buying the complete kit.

Edit: Charlie- there is one magnet and it has scratches underneath the friction material in the lower forward area. That picture to the local Dexter Service Center was cause for concern.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
One of mine started locking up a couple of weeks ago. I put the other wheel up on blocks, backed off the offending one a few clicks and did a high speed lockup test on gravel. Both seemed equal and everthings been OK since.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #28

Am going to try that first...makes sense to be sure.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:46 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
I think I may be having similar problems with my trailer brakes. I realized today that my truck brakes are doing most of the work. Anything above 4.5 without any boost causes lock up with light braking.

P.S. Don't go through Sonora Pass. Should have done my research.
Daubsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #30

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I'm completely clueless about braking on trailers as I've never pulled a trailer with one. So, I have some questions before I freak out too much!

1. Does the 5.0TA have its own braking system?

2. What is this controller thingie? I'm assuming it's some sort of switch or panel that's in the cab area of your TV.

3. Is this controller installed by ETI when you get the trailer? Or when you purchase your TV (we're getting a new truck) as it's part of the towing package.

4. How the heck do you know when your truck is doing most of the braking (as mentioned)?

5. How do you know when your trailer tire(s) is(are) locking up? Do the tires start smoking and everyone around you starts honking and pointing? Or does the trailer start to pull in one direction and start freaking out the driver?

Thanks much.