Breakaway Switch Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Breakaway Switch Question

Will the breakaway switch work and engage the trailer brakes if the battery on the trailer is cut off via an interior cut-off switch? This is when connected to the tow vehicle via the power cord. I generally use the cutoff switch when storing the trailer, but since it is located underneath my bed, I have been crawling underneath and "turning it back on" before traveling.
I am wondering if I can just leave it in the "off" position safely.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
Good question and I will add to that: when towing should the battery switch be on to assure proper charging from the tow vehicle. We also plan to keep the fridge in battery mode while towing so will have the switch on for that purpose: which led me to wonder if the master on/off switch also eliminated all charging if in the off position
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #3

While I still don't have an answer to my original question, I do believe that the battery does not charge (nor discharge) when the cut-off switch is in the "off" position and is charged while traveling in the "on" position. I also believe that it is charged when hooked up to shore power (and switch is in the "on" position).
Old 05-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I considered a 3-way fridge so I could run on 12V while traveling, until it was explained to me that should I leave a campsite with a depleted battery, drive to the next campsite with the fridge on 12V, I would still have a depleted battery when I arrived. The tow vehicle is only capable of providing power to the fridge. There is none left over to get to the battery.
Some travel with fridge on propane and some ( like me ) just shut it off. Stays cold enough for five hours or more, if you don't open the door.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I was under the impression new trailer were required to have the brakeaway switches that have their own battery, as opposed to the older models that use the trailers 12v.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #6

Since mine is a 2009, I wonder if it has its own battery. I may have to call ETI for that one. (If Glenn doesn't have my answer.)
Old 05-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't have a cut-off switch on my 2008, nor do I have the answer.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I was under the impression new trailer were required to have the brakeaway switches that have their own battery, as opposed to the older models that use the trailers 12v.
Mine is a 2013 and does not have its own battery. Also like gbaglo, we just leave the fridge off. Five hours of driving and things are still cold and frozen. Never had a problem even last summer in 113 degree heat of Paso Robles.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape
In lieu of testing the 12v circuit, contact ETI to determine how the circuit to the breakaway switch is wired. I wish we had basic wiring diagrams including the basic factory electrical components for our trailers.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #10

Thanks to you all for the responses. I figure that answer will have to come from ETI.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
I too wished we had wiring diagrams and have emailed ETI requesting same a month ago but that request has probably faded to the bottom of the pile. Our 17B has a major short in the circuitry going to the porch light (immediately blows a 15amp fuse), and Reace had me pull the screws from the upper fridge vent to check if one was in the wires; no luck. While we are under warranty, ETI is a return ferry away from us, so going back to the factory for this one and only problem is not practical from financial stance. That wiring diagram would certainly assist in tracing the wires going to that porch light as it also involves the switch in the doorway. I know this is not a big deal overall, just an annoyance, it would be nice if we could use the light, so I will be bugging ETI once again to remind them of my request.
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
This isn't a definitive answer, but my recollection is that when we picked up the 17b, we were told that for the break-away switch to be working, the battery disconnect switch must be set to that the batteries are NOT disconnected.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #13

Trailer: No RV for now.
The Escape manual (http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...nersManual.pdf ) answers some of the issues mentioned on this thread.
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
I think you need it on for towing so everything works. Use it when parked for long periods.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
The Escape manual (http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...nersManual.pdf ) answers some of the issues mentioned on this thread.
Thank you Linda. That, I believe is the answer. I do not have the new much more comprehensive owners' manual. I will be downloading it.

I agree that a wiring diagram would be most helpful..but I would think a basic one would have to be utilized because of all the individual modifications.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I see no point in trying to run the breakaway brake system from tow vehicle power, since if the tug is still connected it hasn't broken away and the regular brake controller still works.

It also makes no sense to me for the cutoff switch to disable the breakaway system, because the breakaway system uses zero power when not tripped; the point of a cutofff is usually to avaid parasitic loads, and the breakaway switch isn't one of those. It also seems risky to allow the user to - deliberately or accidentally - disable the breakaway system.

Quote:
I've never heard of that, I've never seen a trailer with separate batteries, and it seems to me that sharing the same battery is a good way to ensure that the breakaway system is connected to a maintained battery... another battery for just the brakes could easily be ignored.

On the other hand, lots of rules get made, some of which make little sense.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:38 AM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Here is what one looks like. Might just be for trailers that do not normally carry a battery.
Attached Thumbnails
breakaway.jpg  
Old 05-28-2014, 06:50 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I imagine some flat bed, open, construction trailers would need one of those….
Old 05-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Wouldn't the simple way to answer the question be to turn the master switch to "off", disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle, engage the breakaway switch by pulling the pin and seeing what happens?

If the brakes come on, then the master switch does not disable the breakaway switch and there is no problem. If the master switch does disable the breakaway switch, then you need to make sure the breakaway switch is turned "on" when traveling or there will be no emergency braking.

We don't have a master switch on our trailer. The breakaway switch has only activated when I had not left enough slack in the breakaway switch attachment cable. I turned a sharp corner and the brake came on. The solution was to make sure there was enough slack in the cable.

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Here is what one looks like. Might just be for trailers that do not normally carry a battery.
Yes, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I imagine some flat bed, open, construction trailers would need one of those….
Yes, plus enclosed cargo trailers, car trailers, boat trailers, livestock (horse) trailers... anything that has electric brakes and no other battery. Many of these types of trailer traditionally had surge brakes (some still do) and of course very large trailers have air brakes (so no battery required in either case), but electric brakes are now common in all types.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote