Broken door hinge - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2019, 10:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Broken door hinge

I’m learning about the exterior door hinges tonight as I opened the door this evening and the long pin fell out of the hinge. Then a little pin fell off and the door went cattywampus now being held on only by the lower hinge.

Apparently, counterintuitively, the long pin goes in from the bottom. Then a short pin goes in from the top and a tiny (missing) pin/screw? holds the long pin and short pin and hinge all together. .

I arrived today at Henrys Lake State Park in Idaho and perhaps can find an RV place nearby. But wondered if anyone has had any experience with this kind of repair. For now I have the long pin in the top but that wouldn’t be sufficient for going down the road.

Thanks,
Linda
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Email Dave at partsandservice@escapetrailer.com for advice. Also- are these the original hinges which are pot metal? There are Stainless Steel replacements out there.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Email Dave at partsandservice@escapetrailer.com for advice. Also- are these the original hinges which are pot metal? There are Stainless Steel replacements out there.
Thanks. Done. That sounds like a good remedy, just replace the whole hinge. It is an original, probably pot metal.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Hinge

Click image for larger version

Name:	45954C87-0FFE-418D-8050-C4237D9BA352.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	41221

This may be the hinge you need
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
As an fyi. They used to come in mostly pot metal although we did find one source for SS that had limited, now sold out stock, with no plans to get more. At the time we were looking a couple years back they could be found flat and offset, left hand and right hand, so pay attn to what you order if not from ETI.

1st I've seen the SS ones that Oldtimer so graciously posted, hopefully the screw pattern matches. For the price it's probably worth finding out.

If none can be found, I saved the original pitted pot metals. You could have one if needed, and I can find them.

The SS ones some of us upgraded to had an almost identical screw pattern. I recall a couple of the screws had to go in at a bit of an angle.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #6

Thank you. Yes, found the SS ones last night online. Will order two overnighted to my brother in West Yellowstone so I can be to the next camp on Wednesday.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When swapping out the hinges, toothpicks may help give you some gripping and be sure and put some Proflex on the screws to insure waterproofing.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #8

It’s a done deal. I spent $53.89 for the overnight shipping but the new hinges are installed and I will be off to Red Rock Lakes NWR tomorrow without my door falling off. The local hardware store in West Yellowstone actually carries Proflex. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #9

If that was the total price that isn't bad. Were they pretty much an exact fit and good quality? If so let us all know where you got them as there are others needing or going to need them.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #10

They were nice quality and the holes matched up perfectly. There’s something slightly off though as opening the door is a bit stiff. The hinges weren’t stiff but like slightly off with the curvature of the door maybe. I’m not going to worry about that until I’m home the end of next week. I have an appointment 9/3 to get my fridge repaired and I’ll ask them what they think. The fridge quit working on propane a couple weeks ago. I’ll be winging it with a cooler and meals not requiring refrigeration the next three days but will be back to a campground with electricity after that.

These are the hinges I purchased. Can be found less expensive elsewhere but I’ve used this site before (from my home state) and felt I could probably trust them to get them to me on time. It was nice that they showed the exact measurements on their website.

https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Tr.../PLR104SS.html
Old 08-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
They were nice quality and the holes matched up perfectly. There’s something slightly off though as opening the door is a bit stiff. The hinges weren’t stiff but like slightly off with the curvature of the door maybe. I’m not going to worry about that until I’m home the end of next week. I have an appointment 9/3 to get my fridge repaired and I’ll ask them what they think. The fridge quit working on propane a couple weeks ago. I’ll be winging it with a cooler and meals not requiring refrigeration the next three days but will be back to a campground with electricity after that.

These are the hinges I purchased. Can be found less expensive elsewhere but I’ve used this site before (from my home state) and felt I could probably trust them to get them to me on time. It was nice that they showed the exact measurements on their website.

https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Tr.../PLR104SS.html
Glad you were able to get some hinges ! I don’t know if you did but it helps to install something , a towel etc in space before , with door in shut position , on door opening side . Then install your hinges . Before you tighten hinge screws look to make sure the space is the same especially at side and top , then tighten down . You could also use a sealant in screw holes . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Glad you were able to get some hinges ! I don’t know if you did but it helps to install something , a towel etc in space before , with door in shut position , on door opening side . Then install your hinges . Before you tighten hinge screws look to make sure the space is the same especially at side and top , then tighten down . You could also use a sealant in screw holes . Pat
Went up to find your email to me Pat on this- it sure helped me
Old 08-20-2019, 11:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Good advice, Pat. Yes, I did use sealant in the screw holes. And I just happened to have a screwdriver in the Jeep with the square bit I needed for the screws.

Rossue - the $54 was just for shipping! Whatever.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
Good advice, Pat. Yes, I did use sealant in the screw holes. And I just happened to have a screwdriver in the Jeep with the square bit I needed for the screws.

Rossue - the $54 was just for shipping! Whatever.
You are welcome . Was thinking , sometimes especially the end screw doesn’t line up right . You could seal the existing holes and move the hinge up or down a little . Redrill new holes in fiberglass . Careful to not drill too far . Check the lengths of the screws , they are not the same length . I think the shorter ones go in the door , the longer ones into the body . You want no binding and the hinge to lay flat . Any problems let me know . Having the stainless hinges are going to last you a lot longer then the originals that were cast pot metal .
Pat
Old 08-21-2019, 01:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Went up to find your email to me Pat on this- it sure helped me
Glad I helped Ross . Sure glad got those changed out . Can’t imagine being out on the road and the door breaking off . Pat