broken frame and sorta peeved! - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2018, 07:12 AM   #101

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Surely both sides were done (with photos of just one side because both look the same), because both sides were broken... right?
Oops...forgot both sides had cracks
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:07 AM   #102

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
yes, totally symmetric repair. BOTH sides. I only posted pics of curb side.

happy camper Steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #103

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Glad you are back on the road. With work that good I would have considered having both sides done.
That's a very astute observation . With one side of the frame being that heavily reinforced will more load or frame flexing be transferred to the unreinforced side. ?
My "CASITA" frame bent slightly on one side and I had it straightened and reinforced . The frame shop reinforced both sides
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #104

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
That's a very astute observation . With one side of the frame being that heavily reinforced will more load or frame flexing be transferred to the unreinforced side. ?
No, as discussed above both sides were broken and have been similarly repaired.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #105

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I crawled under our 2009 19 (battery under U dinette, with front box fwiw) today. I knew it had been subject to the recall and the previous owner had it repaired. I have the same through bolt, but frame looks fine there. The area where the plate was welded across the mitered joint looks okay as well, just needs a bit of POR 15 to stop the rust. However, the two angle brackets that were added as part of the recall seem to have cracked right at the bend, same on both sides. It looks like they could be ground at the crack and welded, but I can’t understand how the bracket could have been stressed that much. Granted, it’s rusty, but it seems like the trailer would have to be lifted straight up to crack those angle brackets....
Attached Thumbnails
AF247644-9474-4B21-9A64-13AE9510280F.jpg  
Old 04-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #106
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGman View Post
I crawled under our 2009 19 (battery under U dinette, with front box fwiw) today. I knew it had been subject to the recall and the previous owner had it repaired. I have the same through bolt, but frame looks fine there. The area where the plate was welded across the mitered joint looks okay as well, just needs a bit of POR 15 to stop the rust. However, the two angle brackets that were added as part of the recall seem to have cracked right at the bend, same on both sides. It looks like they could be ground at the crack and welded, but I can’t understand how the bracket could have been stressed that much. Granted, it’s rusty, but it seems like the trailer would have to be lifted straight up to crack those angle brackets....
It is more likely the frame bending downward due to lever action @ the tongue.
hopefully when Reace has the 3" frames analyze a better solution will be found.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:19 PM   #107

Trailer: Escape
[QUOTE=FlaGman;243156]I crawled under our 2009 19 (battery under U dinette, with front box fwiw) today. I knew it had been subject to the recall and the previous owner had it repaired. I have the same through bolt, but frame looks fine there. The area where the plate was welded across the mitered joint looks okay as well, just needs a bit of POR 15 to stop the rust. However, the two angle brackets that were added as part of the recall seem to have cracked right at the bend, same on both sides. It looks like they could be ground at the crack and welded, but I can’t understand how the bracket could have been stressed that much. Granted, it’s rusty, but it seems like the trailer would have to be lifted straight up to crack those angle brackets....[/QUOTE

Do you use an equalizer hitch when towing ?
Old 04-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #108

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
No, I tow with a Honda Ridgeline. The manual indicates an equalizing hitch is not necessary.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #109

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGman View Post
... the two angle brackets that were added as part of the recall seem to have cracked right at the bend, same on both sides.
... I can’t understand how the bracket could have been stressed that much. Granted, it’s rusty, but it seems like the trailer would have to be lifted straight up to crack those angle brackets....
When the trailer twists due to uneven ground (which is much more of an issue with tandem axles than with a single axle), two opposite corners of the body will be trying to lift, while the other two pushing down onto the frame. This happens frequently while driving, so even though there isn't enough force to break the brackets on a single bump, the steel may fatigue over time and eventually fail.

As others have mentioned, use of a WD system (especially excessive use) with a flexible frame could also pull the frame down from the body; as far as this bracket is concerned, it would be the same as the body being lifted. I realize that this is not the issue with FlaGman's trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #110

I have had my 13 Escape for 8 years and inspect the frame to insure that there is no rust on the exterior and spray an annual rustproofing in the frame's interior. There is nothing worse than a rusted out frame because it was not protected.
galand53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #111

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by galand53 View Post
I have had my 13 Escape for 8 years and inspect the frame to insure that there is no rust on the exterior and spray an annual rustproofing in the frame's interior. There is nothing worse than a rusted out frame because it was not protected.
Good and important practice ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #112

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by galand53 View Post
What do you spray into the interior of the frame tube?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote