broken frame and sorta peeved! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In an interesting coincidence - or perhaps a relevant condition - the other owner with a frame crack (RWD) also appears to have been towing with a full-sized Ford van; I can't tell from the discussion whether or not Richard (RWD) was using a weight-distribution system.
Richard says that he was (and apparently still is) towing with an extended-body Ford E-350 van, and not using a WD system.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
...The Andersen No-Way WD is constructed differently...
No-Sway, No-Way? Or No Way you'd own one? Was that a fat finger error or a Freudian slip or what, Brian?

Has ETI changed their frame design since then? Or still the same?
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Yes, they're now 4" and don't have the vertical hole with a bolt to attach the body. The bolt goes through a welded on bracket. Mine's a 2014 and it has the 4" frame.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
I think this issue with frame failures has legal ramifications that everyone is trying to ignore.
The old what if ? and what insurance company if any would cover a accident related to a frame failure causing it ? Makes you wonder ? I have a 2012, 17 and shouldn't be thinking about the condition of the frame on my trailer while boogying down the road at 90k.Becides having cold ones in the fridge now I'll have to check the frame to see if its broken.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Becides having cold ones in the fridge now I'll have to check the frame to see if its broken.
Been no reported issues with the 17'. In any event, you should be checking the frame for rust, and checking caulking, tire pressures etc. Gives you an excuse for a cold one after you're done.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #26

Quote:
No-Sway, No-Way? Or No Way you'd own one? Was that a fat finger error or a Freudian slip or what, Brian?

A typo, but perhaps Freudian, as I don't want a WD system pushing the coupler forward against the ball with great force at all times (which the Andersen No-Sway does during use).

Quote:
All frames are now 4" tall, instead of 3", which makes a huge difference to bending strength. That and replacing the through-hole for the body bolt with a bracket (as Ron described) are both significant to the risk of this type of failure.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Been no reported issues with the 17'.
The early 19' seems to be an unfortunate combination of the heaviest Escape to use the 3" tall frame, and both a weld across the bottom (for the stabilizer) and a through hole (for the body bolt) near the most highly stressed part of the frame. I don't see any reason to be concerned about the 17'.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:45 PM   #28

Quote:
I think this issue with frame failures has legal ramifications that everyone is trying to ignore.
I don't know if everyone is ignoring them; I'm not. Since the affected trailer is resident in the U.S., the owner can (and I believe should) report the failure to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), as with any other vehicle. Such reports allow NHTSA to find trends, investigate causes, and work with manufacturers to trigger recalls when appropriate to avoid further failures. While this may not seem desirable to manufacturers, it helps them collect information as well.

Quote:
The old what if ? and what insurance company if any would cover a accident related to a frame failure causing it ? Makes you wonder ?
Insurance exists to cover unexpected loses. Unless you know that your frame is cracked and tow with it anyway, consequences of such a failure would be an unexpected loss.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
I have been talking with Rease and he believes the WDH might have kept the whole thing together. who knows how long I drove on it with both sides broken. By the sign of rust looks like the curb side has been cracked for a while. The storage box was fine the morning before we discovered the double cracks in the PM. He'll have the repair instructions to me in the morning. Amazing how fast you go from cruisin' in the Escape to waiting for a repair shop to open!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
Amazing how fast you go from cruisin' in the Escape to waiting for a repair shop to open!

steve
Also amazing that you can get a response from the company owner on Easter weekend.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I believe that now Reese is aware of what has happened will take any and all steps to get a fix out there for all the owners with the 3 inch frame on models in question. He has too much pride to leave the Escape community hanging out to dry. He has come up with fixes for all the issues that have come up. THAT is one of the main reason we ordered an Escape. Reese and his company stands behind his work and the safety of his customers.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #32

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
So, would it be advisable to have plates welded on both sides of the frame at each point where the body bolts go through the frame? Or, is it the welding that is/could be adding to the potential for the failures? I'd rather get out in front of this now rather than have our trailer collapse while travelling on the highway.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I dunno Doug, couldn't hurt to reinforce at each frame bolt. But it's the ones up front that would be critical. Way more frame stress there than further back. I think it's as was mentioned before - a combination of a 19, the battery and storage box weight, the 3" frame, and weakening due to the through frame bolts. Only one of those factors comes into play at the other bolt locations. My guess is the frame is fine except for the areas the OP mentioned.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:25 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Also amazing that you can get a response from the company owner on Easter weekend.
Precisely.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #35

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
Quote:
actually I am quite pleased that Rease has responded so quickly! we'll get 'er figured out!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I don’t know if it’s any consolation but during my career our mechanics welded steel mower frames, trailer frames, other pieces of equipment. Though not certified, one of my guys welded something once in the harbor that was part of the dock system. An owner asked him what qualified him to weld this and I was surprised at his answer “ I was an underwater welder on a nuclear submarine in the Navy. There was more at stake than your boathouse.” I had no idea that this was his background but that was the end of the questions. So I’m sure a good certified welder can put your trailer back better than it’s ever been. Hang in there and ride with a professional.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
I have been talking with Rease and he believes the WDH might have kept the whole thing together. who knows how long I drove on it with both sides broken. By the sign of rust looks like the curb side has been cracked for a while. The storage box was fine the morning before we discovered the double cracks in the PM.
steve
I was thinking that it was the storage box that prevented a disaster. The sagging frame allowed the front wall of the trailer to move forward and press on the box and perhaps transferred some of the force to the propane tanks. I can't see how the WDH contributed to the frame not sagging more than it did.

Brian analysis needed.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #38

For the record, all, it's spelled Reace.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 7.58.12 PM.png  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:15 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Just because it hasnt been reported on this forum doesnt mean others havent had problems. Heard of a 19 owner in Texas who had the A-frame separate under tow and only the chains kept it attached.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #40

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I dunno Doug, couldn't hurt to reinforce at each frame bolt. But it's the ones up front that would be critical. Way more frame stress there than further back. I think it's as was mentioned before - a combination of a 19, the battery and storage box weight, the 3" frame, and weakening due to the through frame bolts.
I know none of this is really quantified without a stress analysis but you guys have me thinking now if no storage box on the front wasn’t such a bad thing. Stowaway box on the rear hitch instead. Maybe moving the dual batteries inside to passenger side dinette seat to accommodate mini-split condenser had some ancillary benefit without even knowing it. Battery weight seems better distributed along the length of the frame. Even better might be one battery on each side. The weight of condenser at 65# is equal to about one Interstate GC2. No WDH used. Nonetheless going to take a close look at the frame. If there happened to be a problem lucky to know a very skilled welder that could take care of it. Makes his own frames for his highly customized vehicles.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote