broken frame Maxx Air - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
broken frame Maxx Air

has anyone had a catastrophic failure of their Maxx fan? The framework that raises/ lowers the lid has parted in 2 places, on each side. The first failure was the middle of the arm, 6 months later the other arm broke right off at the attachment to the base.

I have an email in to Maxx but was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue?

looks like the lid might come off then replace the frame. nasty job, methinks. If I can get the parts.

Last summer I had to replace all electronics, switch, etc. on it due to corrosion. I do live at the coast but....

Not Maxximumly happy right now.

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I had a different issue, matter of fact I still have the issue. Calling Maxx Fan was not pleasant. After a long wait I received a most unhelpful support person. They said this is what you need for a fix and after some cajoling on my part they agreed to warranty the parts. The parts did arrive, almost three months later to the day. Not sure what was going on. At any rate it did not fix the problem. Not sure I will bother to call them again.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
has anyone had a catastrophic failure of their Maxx fan? The framework that raises/ lowers the lid has parted in 2 places, on each side. The first failure was the middle of the arm, 6 months later the other arm broke right off at the attachment to the base.

I have an email in to Maxx but was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue?
I haven't heard of that Steve. Is there a chance that you towed with the vent lid up, and maybe it stressed the hinges?

If you can get them to send you the parts, it's not that difficult to replace the entire fan. Biggest hassle is the caulk removal and re-application.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Ok, you say it is the frame, but do you mean the frame that is attached to the fiberglass? This is just an insert and does nothing but hold the fan in place. The lid is replaceable or the entire fan.

Procedure: remove the trim piece on the inside. Fish the power and grown wires out and clip them. You will want to put male/female quick connects on these for the future to make work on the fan easier. Raise the lid to full upright position. Go outside and on each side of the fan you will find two screws. Remove them on both sides (This is all that holds the entire fan to the trailer.)

Go back inside and gently push up on the fan to loosen it. The foam wants to hold and it is easier to push from the bottom. When free, go back outside and grab the fan and lift straight out of the hole.

Take to your work bench to replace the lid, or insert a new fan (say one with the remote and the smoke cover.) A new Maxx Air will fit in the older frame. The frame on the trailer is what is screwed and caulked in place. As I said, it is unlikely that this is what was damaged.

Removal of the fan is now how I clean it once a year or every other depending on how dirty it is. It is much easier to remove it than to try and drop the screen and clean it while it is on the trailer. Reinstall in reverse order.

Other than paying for either a new fan or lid, very easy job.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post

looks like the lid might come off then replace the frame. nasty job, methinks. If I can get the parts.

Last summer I had to replace all electronics, switch, etc. on it due to corrosion. I do live at the coast but....

Not Maxximumly happy right now.

steve
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I haven't heard of that Steve. Is there a chance that you towed with the vent lid up, and maybe it stressed the hinges?

If you can get them to send you the parts, it's not that difficult to replace the entire fan. Biggest hassle is the caulk removal and re-application.
See my other post. There should be no reason to remove the caulk. A new fan will fit in the old trim piece that is screwed and caulked to the trailer roof.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
See my other post. There should be no reason to remove the caulk. A new fan will fit in the old trim piece that is screwed and caulked to the trailer roof.
Good to know. I thought that "trim piece" was a flange for the housing. That makes it super easy to swap out.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I had a different issue, matter of fact I still have the issue. Calling Maxx Fan was not pleasant. After a long wait I received a most unhelpful support person. They said this is what you need for a fix and after some cajoling on my part they agreed to warranty the parts. The parts did arrive, almost three months later to the day. Not sure what was going on. At any rate it did not fix the problem. Not sure I will bother to call them again.
Curious about any Maxx fan issues. Care to elaborate on the problem, what they suggested and why it isn't fixed? I know everyone swears by these fans but I had far fewer problems with my old Fantastic fan. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My buddy was following me once and alerted me that my MaxxFan lid was bouncing up and down. I had left it open, but not locked it in place. I can see that something like that could cause damage.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:45 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
On my Maxx Fan the lid will not stay closed. After driving I can enter the trailer and find there might be 1-2 inches of play in the lid. This occurs after carefully tightening or closing the lid and then doing a positive push to lock the black knob.

Maxx Fan sent me a replacement black knob with screw but that did not help. I still frequently find it partially opened.

The removal process sounds like something to file away. I may have to resort to a new unit.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
thanks! I have an email into them to try and get the replacement hinge arms. Might be easier to replace the entire unit, tho I just spent $70 replacing the switch and electronics. RRRR. I try to fix instead of replace when possible. Agreed on the CS @ Maxx. Getting the switch sorted was a PITA. The person I talked to assumed I was a technician and really talked down to me when he found out I was a DIY consumer!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Ok, you say it is the frame, but do you mean the frame that is attached to the fiberglass? This is just an insert and does nothing but hold the fan in place. The lid is replaceable or the entire fan.

Procedure: remove the trim piece on the inside. Fish the power and grown wires out and clip them. You will want to put male/female quick connects on these for the future to make work on the fan easier. Raise the lid to full upright position. Go outside and on each side of the fan you will find two screws. Remove them on both sides (This is all that holds the entire fan to the trailer.)

Go back inside and gently push up on the fan to loosen it. The foam wants to hold and it is easier to push from the bottom. When free, go back outside and grab the fan and lift straight out of the hole.

Take to your work bench to replace the lid, or insert a new fan (say one with the remote and the smoke cover.) A new Maxx Air will fit in the older frame. The frame on the trailer is what is screwed and caulked in place. As I said, it is unlikely that this is what was damaged.

Removal of the fan is now how I clean it once a year or every other depending on how dirty it is. It is much easier to remove it than to try and drop the screen and clean it while it is on the trailer. Reinstall in reverse order.

Other than paying for either a new fan or lid, very easy job.

Good luck.
techfan,

Don't even have my trailer yet but so much appreciate your info on repair/replace of the Maxx fan. Hope I never have a problem with if I do it it will be a "breeze" to fix following your technique. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I am surprised that the fan would be caulked in. It should have been put in with Butyl tape and that is very simple to remove clean and reinstall. If it is caulked in and you replace it, I would highly recommend you reinstall it using Butyl tape.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I am surprised that the fan would be caulked in. It should have been put in with Butyl tape and that is very simple to remove clean and reinstall. If it is caulked in and you replace it, I would highly recommend you reinstall it using Butyl tape.
Only the exterior trim piece is screwed and caulked AND I suspect has tape underneath also. The fan unit inserts into this trim piece and has sealing foam tape in the channel it rests in. Why remove the trim if you don't have to?