"Bucking" 5.0TA - Sierra combo - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2019, 03:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
"Bucking" 5.0TA - Sierra combo

Returned to MN from wintering in AZ over Easter weekend and love our new 2018 trailer. This was the first long drive since going to AZ from Br. Columbia last November.
Found our towing mileage to be around 10 mpg at just under 70 mph and 14 mpg at 62. Chose the latter speed and arrived safely at home.
Unfortunately, several (many!) stretches of road caused a severe bounce of truck and trailer. Speeding up to around 70 completely eliminated this bucking. I've been advised to change to adjustable shocks (four or rear only?).
Truck is a 2014 Dbl Cab 1500 5.3 V-8 w/rear airbags and Andersen Hitch. (Bags remain from a departed Jayco)
Any advice appreciated.

Phil Murray

PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would have to assume your issue is truck related, maybe shocks like you mentioned, or maybe springs? I just know that there is almost no porpoising action with our 5.0TA . There is a very small amount on bumps or dips that are big, but in general and at any speed, there really is nothing.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: PM15283... Make sure you tow with a full fresh water tank. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I installed air bags on an old pickup and it completely changed the ride. Still had the leaf springs but the bags provided a little extra bounce that the shocks did not control well.

I would think the bags may be the problem and to use as little air in them as you can. New HD rear shocks are a good start as well.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
and please update your avatar to show the correct Escape trailer...
Old 04-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This is typically a resonance problem, meaning that the combination of bump spacing (which is very regular in some concrete highways) and truck wheelbase produces a frequency which makes the truck buck like a pendulum swinging or a tuning fork vibrating. Changing the stiffness of the springs changes the resonant speed, any change in speed (faster or slower) makes it stop, and more damping of suspension motion (which means stiffer shock absorbers) reduces or stops it even at the resonant speed. The mass of the attached trailer will change the resonant speed too, so you won't likely notice it at the same speed without the trailer.

This will vary greatly between trucks, even of the same make and model, due to differences in wheelbase, springs, shocks, and tires... even counting only factory-available options.

Since the air bags have changed the truck's rear spring rate, the most straightforward solution is to change only the truck's rear shock absorbers.

Increasing suspension damping in the trailer would help, too, but the only way to add damping to the trailer suspension is to have custom brackets made so that shock absorbers can be added. This works (and has other benefits), and is well proven on Airstreams, on trailers with similar suspensions in Europe, and with custom installations on other small trailers; however, no one does it on any Escape trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA due June 13, 2019.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM15283 View Post
Returned to MN from wintering in AZ over Easter weekend and love our new 2018 trailer. This was the first long drive since going to AZ from Br. Columbia last November.
Found our towing mileage to be around 10 mpg at just under 70 mph and 14 mpg at 62. Chose the latter speed and arrived safely at home.
Unfortunately, several (many!) stretches of road caused a severe bounce of truck and trailer. Speeding up to around 70 completely eliminated this bucking. I've been advised to change to adjustable shocks (four or rear only?).
Truck is a 2014 Dbl Cab 1500 5.3 V-8 w/rear airbags and Andersen Hitch. (Bags remain from a departed Jayco)
Any advice appreciated.

Phil Murray
Quick Question Phil, in another post you mentioned hauling a small trailer back, was that the case and if so might that have had an affect?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:37 PM   #8

Really doubt it. That trailer weight is less than 300 lbs, I think. (Less, but I put some firewood in the front to give some weight to the tongue.)
Old 04-24-2019, 11:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Do you have a picture of your andersen hitch mounted in your truck?
I use the andersen ultimate hitch also along with a B&W turnover ball and I would forget the trailer is there many times if I didn't see it in the mirror.

My first thought would be you don't have enough weight forward on your trailer but I wouldn't expect it to make your truck "buck".
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
Do you have a picture of your andersen hitch mounted in your truck?

I use the andersen ultimate hitch also along with a B&W turnover ball and I would forget the trailer is there many times if I didn't see it in the mirror.

My first thought would be you don't have enough weight forward on your trailer but I wouldn't expect it to make your truck "buck".
Agreed - when all is smooth it's a beauty!