Build Sheet Questions - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I like overkill, I use one with a Tundra pulling our 19'. Smooths out the ride, puts the headlights where they should be (although the Tundra has a headlight height adjustment switch), smooths out hard stops and just makes the overall ride feel better. I have towed with and without and much prefer the feel with it. Especially on bad roads or in the mountains.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I like overkill, I use one with a Tundra pulling our 19'. Smooths out the ride, puts the headlights where they should be (although the Tundra has a headlight height adjustment switch), smooths out hard stops and just makes the overall ride feel better. I have towed with and without and much prefer the feel with it. Especially on bad roads or in the mountains.
Tom I have brothers and I know how you guys tow . Us gals tow pretty conservative . But I guess maybe it would feel good back there . I forgot I have a long bed and Firestone air springs so that could make my truck feel different . Never feel any sway especially when big semi's pass , etc. I just think maybe I would try it out first . Sounds like they are heavy and a pain to set up ? Pat

Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:25 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Pat, I'm shocked you would think I would be a anything but a conservative driver. LOL

Actually I am a pretty conservative driver but not being retired yet I am usually on a schedule when making trips and do push for long distances sometimes. I keep it under 65 but do find it hard sometimes having a bigger TV. I live in the mountains so do have a lot of curves and hills in most of my travels. The larger TV does makes those long days much easier on me.

The Anderson is much different and easier then previous WDH we have used. We have a female friend that tows a Casita and she started using the Anderson and she loves it. In fact she had a blowout on her TV enroute to last weekends trip and felt the Anderson made a difference.

You never know when you may need that extra margin of safety.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Pat, I'm shocked you would think I would be a anything but a conservative driver. LOL

Actually I am a pretty conservative driver but not being retired yet I am usually on a schedule when making trips and do push for long distances sometimes. I keep it under 65 but do find it hard sometimes having a bigger TV. I live in the mountains so do have a lot of curves and hills in most of my travels. The larger TV does makes those long days much easier on me.

The Anderson is much different and easier then previous WDH we have used. We have a female friend that tows a Casita and she started using the Anderson and she loves it. In fact she had a blowout on her TV enroute to last weekends trip and felt the Anderson made a difference.

You never know when you may need that extra margin of safety.
Good to know about the Anderson . If I change my tow vehicle out I was thinking of the Tundra too . Not happy with what Ford is up to now so I was looking at the Tundra . We'll see . Take care . Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:51 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Weight distribution hitches aren't overkill if you need to redistribute weight. They can also help level the rig and provide a more solid feel when towing, even if you don't need to redistribute weight. On a 19 with a Taco, I think you'd benefit from one.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:07 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
So I am confused with the weight distribution hitch. Does anyone use it with a Toyota Tacoma? I am wondering if it's overkill or would create a problem if used. Your input is very much appreciated.
We towed a Casita 17 and now an Escape 21 with our Taco, WDH was installed on the used Casita. Pain in the butt. Taco has the Andersen hitch, which is great, ungreasy, and seems to work fine. You will definitely notice the lack of "porpoising" when you go over speed bumps, rough roads, etc using a WDH compared to not having one.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Reace recommended the Andersen, "to prevent galloping" as he put it. My main concern is cross winds. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:35 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Reace recommended the Andersen, "to prevent galloping" as he put it. My main concern is cross winds. Loren
Andersen has the anti-sway function built in by design. No separate anti-sway bar needed.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Wow, good information, thanks! That would be a big money-saver! Why do people get the Equalizer or the Andersen?
People get an Anderson hitch or an equalizer hitch if they are towing with an SUV or a small wheel based vehicle. You might need one if you are towing with something without enough weight to counter the weight of the trailer--the tail wagging the dog effect.
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Andersen has the anti-sway function built in by design. No separate anti-sway bar needed.
So does the Equal-izer

techfan is offline   Reply With Quote