Build Sheet Questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I like overkill, I use one with a Tundra pulling our 19'. Smooths out the ride, puts the headlights where they should be (although the Tundra has a headlight height adjustment switch), smooths out hard stops and just makes the overall ride feel better. I have towed with and without and much prefer the feel with it. Especially on bad roads or in the mountains.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I like overkill, I use one with a Tundra pulling our 19'. Smooths out the ride, puts the headlights where they should be (although the Tundra has a headlight height adjustment switch), smooths out hard stops and just makes the overall ride feel better. I have towed with and without and much prefer the feel with it. Especially on bad roads or in the mountains.
Tom I have brothers and I know how you guys tow . Us gals tow pretty conservative . But I guess maybe it would feel good back there . I forgot I have a long bed and Firestone air springs so that could make my truck feel different . Never feel any sway especially when big semi's pass , etc. I just think maybe I would try it out first . Sounds like they are heavy and a pain to set up ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Pat, I'm shocked you would think I would be a anything but a conservative driver. LOL

Actually I am a pretty conservative driver but not being retired yet I am usually on a schedule when making trips and do push for long distances sometimes. I keep it under 65 but do find it hard sometimes having a bigger TV. I live in the mountains so do have a lot of curves and hills in most of my travels. The larger TV does makes those long days much easier on me.

The Anderson is much different and easier then previous WDH we have used. We have a female friend that tows a Casita and she started using the Anderson and she loves it. In fact she had a blowout on her TV enroute to last weekends trip and felt the Anderson made a difference.

You never know when you may need that extra margin of safety.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Pat, I'm shocked you would think I would be a anything but a conservative driver. LOL

Actually I am a pretty conservative driver but not being retired yet I am usually on a schedule when making trips and do push for long distances sometimes. I keep it under 65 but do find it hard sometimes having a bigger TV. I live in the mountains so do have a lot of curves and hills in most of my travels. The larger TV does makes those long days much easier on me.

The Anderson is much different and easier then previous WDH we have used. We have a female friend that tows a Casita and she started using the Anderson and she loves it. In fact she had a blowout on her TV enroute to last weekends trip and felt the Anderson made a difference.

You never know when you may need that extra margin of safety.
Good to know about the Anderson . If I change my tow vehicle out I was thinking of the Tundra too . Not happy with what Ford is up to now so I was looking at the Tundra . We'll see . Take care . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Weight distribution hitches aren't overkill if you need to redistribute weight. They can also help level the rig and provide a more solid feel when towing, even if you don't need to redistribute weight. On a 19 with a Taco, I think you'd benefit from one.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
So I am confused with the weight distribution hitch. Does anyone use it with a Toyota Tacoma? I am wondering if it's overkill or would create a problem if used. Your input is very much appreciated.
We towed a Casita 17 and now an Escape 21 with our Taco, WDH was installed on the used Casita. Pain in the butt. Taco has the Andersen hitch, which is great, ungreasy, and seems to work fine. You will definitely notice the lack of "porpoising" when you go over speed bumps, rough roads, etc using a WDH compared to not having one.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:29 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Reace recommended the Andersen, "to prevent galloping" as he put it. My main concern is cross winds. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Reace recommended the Andersen, "to prevent galloping" as he put it. My main concern is cross winds. Loren
Andersen has the anti-sway function built in by design. No separate anti-sway bar needed.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Wow, good information, thanks! That would be a big money-saver! Why do people get the Equalizer or the Andersen?
People get an Anderson hitch or an equalizer hitch if they are towing with an SUV or a small wheel based vehicle. You might need one if you are towing with something without enough weight to counter the weight of the trailer--the tail wagging the dog effect.
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Andersen has the anti-sway function built in by design. No separate anti-sway bar needed.
So does the Equal-izer
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
To answer the question, the extra insulation is installed in all the places you can not see, below the centerline where the white vinyl ends. As fas as w/d hitch, it is easily added afterwards, do we know you tug?
Old 07-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19
Hi Ellen

Just got my trailer this week. I did get the anderson hitch and I really like it, it is easy to put on and take off, it is easily adjustable. I really felt it unified my ridgeline and my 19 escape. I felt very comfortable driving with it. That said it could be easily added later.

I got the insulation and form spray no heaters, I plan to use my trailer mostly in fall and spring, felt it would be better for those seasons. I have noticed it really does help with noise, very quiet inside.

Build sheet is almost done, good for you!

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
Hi Ellen--Exciting times, are they not? In reference to your questions and as a newcomer to the world of Escapes, here are my humble observations

A big yes on the thermal windows and extra insulation. Our previous Casita presented condensation problems on the windows, even with venting, and there is a huge difference with this feature on the Escape. The extra insulation is handy for warmth and coolness retention. We opted not to have the exterior foam insulation sprayed underneath, but can add this later if we choose.

Even though we dry camp most of the time, we did add the EMS system. Didn't want to take any chances with the AC and other electrical features in the trailer.

I'm not sure if you have mentioned this, but since you boondock a lot, are you considering solar panels? We have two (150 watts each) and 2 deep cycle 6 volt batteries. Love the power they provide and despite the current mounting challenges, they have been worth the investment to us. My husband runs a CPAP at night and so far, the panels have exceeded our demands on them. It's nice to leave the propane generator at home!

We tow with a 2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost and use the Anderson hitch. We did not have a WDH when we had the Casita, so don't have a base of reference when it come to other WDH's. Even though the dual axle helps, we like the feel and security of the trailer with the Anderson hitch. Bouncing (galloping, etc.) and sway are things of the past. We bent two sway-bars on the Casita, our error, so it's nice not to worry about having to removing them when maneuvering. We had to make some very sharp turnarounds with the 19 and the Anderson and it worked beautifully. The company has sent us another "cone" cylinder to replace one that was defective and squealed like crazy, but they have a good product and stand behind it. After one gets used to the nuances of hooking up with an Anderson hitch, they make sense...But, it is also good to know it doesn't have to be a part of your build sheet and can be added later, if you so choose.

We added some extra 12 volt plugs (1 w/ the USB plugs on the upper D/S shelf) and find them useful, even though we also added the 1500 watt inverter. Our build sheet is listed 4-11-15, if you're interested in taking a look. We had so much help from others on this forum when making decisions, it was great to rely on their experience. ETI is also a terrific company to work with

All the best with your Escape, Ellen--you'll have a blast! It won't be long now~Peace,
Gae
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Oh, WOW, so much good information!!! A lot to process.

Kountrykamper: I'm convinced -- will be worth it for peace of mind during the times I do plug in. Also, who knows what the future brings and where I may wind up for extended periods of time.

LarryandLiz: Same as above re EMS!!! Hummm, like the idea of the soundproofing. Thanks!

Floating Cloud: Thanks Cathy! Good information on the Reflectix--also for now letting me know what "Reflectix" actually IS. That would have been another question. Re your second post, yep, was asking what the WDH actually does and you answered it, thank you!!!
p.s. love your Emerson quote!

padlin: More good info! Thank you! I'm thinking I will go with the EMS now. I recall about 10 years ago lightning frying my VHS (anyone remember those? )

bdornbush: Yep, after all the replies, I'm sold on the dual panes and extra insulation; still not positive bout the spray foam underneath. Good point on the Jeep manual - I am going to look at the Tahoe manual. Right now, am putting my Honda Civic up for sale and will then get the Tahoe from my son. Thanks!

Brian B-P: That's what I am now trying to figure out. As a major newbie and starting at ground zero, reading about people getting the weight-distribution systems, just assumed everyone was supposed to have one. The savings from not getting that could pay for some more insulation. Great info, thank you!!!

Patandlinda: Yes, it helps a lot (as always!!!) Thanks Pat - I hear everything you're saying and it all makes sense. I very much appreciate your input!

Skiman: Hi there! It does, it does fly! At this point, I do believe I am going with all four of your suggestions. Thank you!!!

rbryan4: It DOES seem like yesterday -- a little bit scary actually. Love your "two cents" - thank you!!!

capharley: Exactly what I wanted to know, thank you! "Tug" is a tow vehicle, right? Mine is a Tahoe.

56reader: Congratulations!!! You must be SO excited! Are you passing through Cleveland on your way back? Nice for more confirmation of noise reduction! Thanks for posting!

old climber: Hi Gae!!! Yep, sure are exciting times. Chompin' at the bit. But I know the 2-1/2 months left will fly. Your info is so good and much appreciated. Yes, absolutely getting the solar power with the two 6V batteries--I just love the idea of being able to be out in the wilderness for a couple of weeks at a time and be self sufficient. Great to hear from another dry camper. I decided against the inverter but getting two additional 12V plugs and will get the USB connections. I'm just excited I can buy a 12V flat iron! Would love to look at your Build Sheet-you said it is listed 4-11-15 but not sure how to find it. Thanks so much, Gae.

If I missed anyone, I'm sorry. Thanks to much to everyone. I just don't know what I would have done without this Forum and all of you!!!
Old 07-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
Wow, Ellen--you are welcome and very kind to write everyone! Our build sheet location: Go to "Forums", then down to "Shopping Escape". On the bottom of page 2, our list is under "Building sheet for 19--finally!". Sorry, it takes some maneuvering to get there. Lots of other ideas listed, also. We put some items on the trailer that we don't use dry camping, like AC, because when we do camp in state parks, etc, in the south or when it's hot, that puppy's coming on. I do love the 12V outlets with the USB plugs and use them more then anything else. Not only standard re-charging of phones, etc, but running small fans with USB plugs. I save the battery operated things for when I want to extend the 2 big 6 volts. Air circulation, even when it's not hot, really helps to cut down on possible humidity problems. It's fun to research 12V and USB appliances...

LED's are a must--you know this, already. Ike and I put just one Captains light in the trailer, in the corner behind the bathroom wall of the 19. It acts as a reading "nook" light at night and shines good, direct light on projects, etc. We still use our headlamps...

Adventure awaits and we are all looking forward to watching the progress of your new treasure--all the best to you! Peace~
Gae
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I got so used to using headlamps with our trailers that I use one to read in bed at home.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape, 19'
The hitch question is interesting. We are towing our 19' with a 2014 tundra max cab. When we picked the trailer up a few weeks ago, somehow they forgot the Equilizer hitch that we had ordered.....which gave us the opportunity to raise the question again with Reace. He thought we would not need any fancy hitch, especially not an Anderson, and recommended that we try it out with nothing, then add one later if we thought we needed.....towed fine and we haven't really thought about it again.....Karen
KarenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldclimber View Post
Wow, Ellen--you are welcome and very kind to write everyone! Our build sheet location: Go to "Forums", then down to "Shopping Escape". On the bottom of page 2, our list is under "Building sheet for 19--finally!". Sorry, it takes some maneuvering to get there.
Direct link: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ally-5263.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #39

Thanks Gae for sharing your Build Sheet, etc.
Wow, you're not kidding about lots of ideas! I have to work today but tomorrow plan on slowly going through your Build Sheet and extras (time's a wastin' )
. I may be messaging you with some questions.
Just when I think I have a handle on things . . .
Thank you so much - I'll be back (said in my best Clint Eastwood voice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldclimber View Post
Wow, Ellen--you are welcome and very kind to write everyone! Our build sheet location: Go to "Forums", then down to "Shopping Escape". On the bottom of page 2, our list is under "Building sheet for 19--finally!". Sorry, it takes some maneuvering to get there. Lots of other ideas listed, also. We put some items on the trailer that we don't use dry camping, like AC, because when we do camp in state parks, etc, in the south or when it's hot, that puppy's coming on. I do love the 12V outlets with the USB plugs and use them more then anything else. Not only standard re-charging of phones, etc, but running small fans with USB plugs. I save the battery operated things for when I want to extend the 2 big 6 volts. Air circulation, even when it's not hot, really helps to cut down on possible humidity problems. It's fun to research 12V and USB appliances...

LED's are a must--you know this, already. Ike and I put just one Captains light in the trailer, in the corner behind the bathroom wall of the 19. It acts as a reading "nook" light at night and shines good, direct light on projects, etc. We still use our headlamps...

Adventure awaits and we are all looking forward to watching the progress of your new treasure--all the best to you! Peace~
Gae
Old 07-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #40

Thank you for that Donna!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post