Build Sheet Questions - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #81

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Oh wow, what great information you guys posted. Thank you so much!!!

Rossue: Silly me didn't even know the inverter would have to run all the time to run something that is on all the time, like a clock. Wasn't thinking!!! Yes, I am really really lucky. Another friend has a landscape biz and wants to take me out to pull his equipment trailer. Was going to go to the RV driving school near Chilliwack but I don't think I will have to now.

OneOleMan: Yes, that was the biggy my friend kept telling me: small adjustments. I am going to give up my coffee grinder after 30 years of buying whole beans but that flat iron is still calling me name.

Ron in BC: Really good information. That's what I was trying to figure out -- how long to be able to use each appliance. Good stuff to think about - thanks!

kstock11: great idea about using the wet cloths and fan. I'm not getting an air conditioner [though getting air-condition-ready in case of (please no!) resale] so this is a good tip! Thank you.

cpharley2008: yep, have been researching all the 12V options. "Hairdryer, just go outside......." Ha! Love it - am seriously thinking of getting my hair cut to about quarter inch!
Have never had a microwave and not getting one. Plan on the range top and mostly outdoors.

zardoz: thanks! Am leaning that way!

Greg A: Appreciate hearing someone else's take who has solar. Thanks!

gbaglo: Nice!!! And I'm likin' the price.

Patandlinda: I do too. And maybe a little portable one like gbaglo's.

Don & Teresa: Great idea, thanks!

Hi Cathy: Not getting a microwave but am getting a surge protector. Curious how that works -- reading the number of amps for an appliance. Can you explain. Thanks so much!

rbryan4: Not getting air conditioning (see next note ) and love the "keep it simple" advice. As always, thanks for your input!

Hi again Cathy: (see above note to rbryan4) Thank you for the clarification!!! So much to learn, so little time.

56reader: Hi Linda! Have been thinking of you and your new Escape 19! Hope all is going well. I don't really want to get a generator--did a lot of research when I first decided to get an RV a year ago and decided against it. My friend assured me that the backing up will get easier but it takes some time. I've got nothing but. A big tip she told me was to be sure to be able to see both of the trailer tires and always be checking them from both mirrors when doing the turns. Am going to try towing without a weight distribution hitch. Reace thought I should be ok with the Tahoe and the 17'. Take care!

davemacrae: Thanks. Coffee!!! Can't live without it!!! I'm going to give up my grinder though, use the paper cup thingies and heat water on the range or with a 12V water heater.

yardsale: Also giving up my beloved french press (thinking of how those grinds were going down my sink and also how long it would take me to clean it and wanting to reduce water usage) LOVE reading those great reports on solar!!!

Jim Bennett: OK, awesome info. "I can heat up anything on my stove and BBQ. I can make really great coffee in the time it takes to make it with an electric coffee maker" Yes!!!
I am going with the ETI solar though. Am very much looking forward to seeing how long I can stay, in BLM for example, with just my solar. What an adventure coming up. SO excited.

Thank you again to everyone! This information has been invaluable and because of this have decided to not go with the 1500W inverter and, if necessary, get a small, inexpensive one in the future.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #82
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
rbryan4: Not getting air conditioning (see next note ) and love the "keep it simple" advice. As always, thanks for your input!
Just to be clear, Ellen, my comment about the inverter had nothing to do with Air Conditioning. It was about Alternating Current - the kind of electricity that's in your house.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #83

Ha! Know that now. My mistake for sure. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Just to be clear, Ellen, my comment about the inverter had nothing to do with Air Conditioning. It was about Alternating Current - the kind of electricity that's in your house.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #84

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56reader View Post
Now that would be a good reason for an inverter!

I guess really it depends on how often you will use it. If daily then the price doesn't seem too bad and totally worth it, at $550 for 1 plug, and $850 for all (Canadian dollars.)
I have the 1500 watt one because it was on sale.

Or, $184 Cdn, plus two battery cables. Canadian Tire, 3000 watts with remote switch, part #11-1846-6 Plugged into the outlet is power to my table top outlet.

Had the 3000 watt one in my Scamp 13 ; little trailer, big inverter

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
09-11-2014 4-25-51 PM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #85

Submitted my Build Sheet. Did not order the inverter. Cool to know about the options. Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I have the 1500 watt one because it was on sale.

Or, $184 Cdn, plus two battery cables. Canadian Tire, 3000 watts with remote switch, part #11-1846-6 Plugged into the outlet is power to my table top outlet.

Had the 3000 watt one in my Scamp 13 ; little trailer, big inverter

Ron
Old 08-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #86

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Oh wow, what great information you guys posted. Thank you so much!!!

Rossue: Silly me didn't even know the inverter would have to run all the time to run something that is on all the time, like a clock. Wasn't thinking!!! Yes, I am really really lucky. Another friend has a landscape biz and wants to take me out to pull his equipment trailer. Was going to go to the RV driving school near Chilliwack but I don't think I will have to now.

OneOleMan: Yes, that was the biggy my friend kept telling me: small adjustments. I am going to give up my coffee grinder after 30 years of buying whole beans but that flat iron is still calling me name.

Ron in BC: Really good information. That's what I was trying to figure out -- how long to be able to use each appliance. Good stuff to think about - thanks!

kstock11: great idea about using the wet cloths and fan. I'm not getting an air conditioner [though getting air-condition-ready in case of (please no!) resale] so this is a good tip! Thank you.

cpharley2008: yep, have been researching all the 12V options. "Hairdryer, just go outside......." Ha! Love it - am seriously thinking of getting my hair cut to about quarter inch!
Have never had a microwave and not getting one. Plan on the range top and mostly outdoors.

zardoz: thanks! Am leaning that way!

Greg A: Appreciate hearing someone else's take who has solar. Thanks!

gbaglo: Nice!!! And I'm likin' the price.

Patandlinda: I do too. And maybe a little portable one like gbaglo's.

Don & Teresa: Great idea, thanks!

Hi Cathy: Not getting a microwave but am getting a surge protector. Curious how that works -- reading the number of amps for an appliance. Can you explain. Thanks so much!

Hi again Cathy: (see above note to rbryan4) Thank you for the clarification!!! So much to learn, so little time.

56reader: Hi Linda! Have been thinking of you and your new Escape 19! Hope all is going well. I don't really want to get a generator--did a lot of research when I first decided to get an RV a year ago and decided against it. My friend assured me that the backing up will get easier but it takes some time. I've got nothing but. A big tip she told me was to be sure to be able to see both of the trailer tires and always be checking them from both mirrors when doing the turns. Am going to try towing without a weight distribution hitch. Reace thought I should be ok with the Tahoe and the 17'. Take care!

davemacrae: Thanks. Coffee!!! Can't live without it!!! I'm going to give up my grinder though, use the paper cup thingies and heat water on the range or with a 12V water heater.

yardsale: Also giving up my beloved french press (thinking of how those grinds were going down my sink and also how long it would take me to clean it and wanting to reduce water usage) LOVE reading those great reports on solar!!!

Jim Bennett: OK, awesome info. "I can heat up anything on my stove and BBQ. I can make really great coffee in the time it takes to make it with an electric coffee maker" Yes!!!
I am going with the ETI solar though. Am very much looking forward to seeing how long I can stay, in BLM for example, with just my solar. What an adventure coming up. SO excited.

Thank you again to everyone! This information has been invaluable and because of this have decided to not go with the 1500W inverter and, if necessary, get a small, inexpensive one in the future.
Ellen you did your homework ! Congratulations on completing your build sheet . That is the hardest part . You are past that now . Don't worry about the backing up , you also are getting good tips and have been also getting the hang of it before hand . Now just waiting to get your trailer . It will be here before you know it . Hope to see you on the road . Pat and Linda
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #87

Thanks so much! Yes, did my homework. And I'm not even going to reread my Build Sheet -- no lookin' back -- it's done, feelin' great about all the decisions and I know my trailer's going to be awesome!!!
Hope to see you on the road as well!!!
ellen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ellen you did your homework ! Congratulations on completing your build sheet . That is the hardest part . You are past that now . Don't worry about the backing up , you also are getting good tips and have been also getting the hang of it before hand . Now just waiting to get your trailer . It will be here before you know it . Hope to see you on the road . Pat and Linda
Old 08-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #88

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
Quote:
Thanks so much! Yes, did my homework. And I'm not even going to reread my Build Sheet -- no lookin' back -- it's done, feelin' great about all the decisions and I know my trailer's going to be awesome!!!
Hope to see you on the road as well!!!
ellen
Congratulations, Ellen--you are well prepared to have some incredible adventures! It's a relief to get the build sheet done and you are wise about not second guessing. Enough emotional energy has gone into it--now to relax, gather your goods, make your plans, and wait for your treasure. Looking forward to seeing you "out there" sometime Peace~
Gae
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #89

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Ellen. I really admire all of you gals out there who purchase and tow trailers on their own. There is a lot of mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems to a trailer and the whole thing can be intimidating to even home repair people. And also, hooking up and pulling a trailer is a little bit different than driving your Prius. Well done girls. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #90

Thanks so much, Gae!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldclimber View Post
Congratulations, Ellen--you are well prepared to have some incredible adventures! It's a relief to get the build sheet done and you are wise about not second guessing. Enough emotional energy has gone into it--now to relax, gather your goods, make your plans, and wait for your treasure. Looking forward to seeing you "out there" sometime Peace~
Gae
Old 08-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #91

Don't remind me!!!
I have no fear of traveling alone.
No fear whatsoever of camping by myself in the wilderness.
But mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems?
I'm a bit nervous. No, actually, very nervous.
I've read on the Forum of those with experience who leave the orientation with exploding heads. Those weren't the exact words but something to that effect.
I do realize it will take time and am confident I will eventually be comfortable with everything but at this point, yes, nervous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Ellen. I really admire all of you gals out there who purchase and tow trailers on their own. There is a lot of mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems to a trailer and the whole thing can be intimidating to even home repair people. And also, hooking up and pulling a trailer is a little bit different than driving your Prius. Well done girls. Loren
Old 08-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #92

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Build sheet -road trip!

You go girl! You got it all going!!! See you in about 28 days!!
Lucy
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #93

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Yup as woman that also travels alone learning all this is intimidating. I'm not very handy at repairs but I do my best to get by.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #94
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
We've never had a problem with an electrical panel at an RV site but I know from talking to other experienced campers that this is a distinct possibility. For that reason, we had the surge protection retrofitted to our 19 by ETI in June. Thinking about having surge protection installed in our home also. We experienced a
low voltage situation at the house a couple of years ago, fortunately my brother happened to be visiting and when something started to hum, he recognized what was happening and threw the main breaker in the panel before there was any damage. I am also a big believer in water pressure regulators, fire extinqushers and big first aid kits but that's just me. You won't miss the money for long and you can make more.
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #95

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Don't remind me!!!

I have no fear of traveling alone.

No fear whatsoever of camping by myself in the wilderness.

But mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems?

I'm a bit nervous. No, actually, very nervous.

I've read on the Forum of those with experience who leave the orientation with exploding heads. Those weren't the exact words but something to that effect.

I do realize it will take time and am confident I will eventually be comfortable with everything but at this point, yes, nervous!

Ellen,

I totally understand your anxiety. Even though I am of the male persuasion, I am not especially handy. There is an old joke about how many computer programmers it takes to change a light bulb. The answer is 'None -- it is a hardware problem. ' Needless to say, shop was not my favorite class in high school.

I spent lots of time looking at the Escape Orientation Video. So when we did the actual orientation, I could ask questions about our particular trailer, and while my head was certainly full after the orientation, it didn't actually explode. There are also a lot of videos on u-tube about various Rv products and systems. I try to educate myself as needed. In addition I found a RV technician that trust who can help out when I am in over my head.

I admire your adventurous spirit, and I am sure you will do great on the upcoming adventure.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #96

Hey Leon! Thanks so much-- that really was comforting! I have looked at the video a couple of times and will try to rewatch several more before getting up to Chilliwack. p.s. Cute joke!

rfs: Even though I don't anticipate hooking up to electric, one never knows. I took the advice of the Forum and ordered the surge protection. I agree with you about better safe than sorry -- already have a collection of first aid kits from past years that I will consolidate. Thank you!

Fox hunt: I will do my best as well. Thank you.

Lucy: As always, thank you! See you soon!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #97

Trailer: 2016 17A
Hello and thank you to Ellen and everyone else who contributed to this thread.

I logged on today with every intention of posting questions about inverters and solar. And now, after reading this entire thread, my questions are answered.

Our 17A is due for completion in December. We hope to finalize our build sheet when we visit
ETI in early September. While I anticipate more questions, this conversation has been extremely helpful.

Once again, Thank You All!
Allan
liveoakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:50 PM   #98

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
For those adventurous women out there, check out Sisters on the Fly (Outdoor Adventure Group for Women | Sisters on the Fly). Know some members and they claim to have a ball during their camping sessions.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:57 PM   #99
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
For those adventurous women out there, check out Sisters on the Fly (Outdoor Adventure Group for Women | Sisters on the Fly). Know some members and they claim to have a ball during their camping sessions.
One of them bought my Casita and seems to be having a lot of fun. Odd rule about no dogs, though........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:21 AM   #100

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I did find that odd as well.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote